qwentin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much kg should an average man lift for bench/dumbbell press?

I would like to ask you, how much should an average person bench press and dumbbell press?

EXAMPLE 1:
    male
    90 kg
    185 cm
    1 year of weightlifting without any additive supplies

Bench Press : ??? kg
    Dumbbell Press : ??? kg (value for one arm)

EXAMPLE 2:
    male
    100 kg
    185 cm

EXAMPLE 3:
    male
    110 kg
    185 cm

I am especially interested in the dumbbell press weight for one arm.

Thanks for your opinion
    Last edited by qwentin; 10-23-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bench press at least his bodyweight.
    OG

viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) viroku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is tough to answer, for instance you can have 2 people at 90 kg, first one is 175 cm tall and the other 195 cm...
    But after 1 year of training they all should be able to press if not over their weight than at least as jason said their bodyweight.
    As for dumbbell press I cant really say because i never forced to much weight on that lift, I felt its easy to hurt yourself there if you went overboard.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For flat bench barbell press the "average" for males of all ages is 135 lbs. The minimum for "in shape" is your own bodyweight.
    The floundering has ended.

Thanks, I am especially interested in the dumbbell press, because right now me and my friends are using 35 and 40 kg dumbbells (35 or 40 kg for each arm) and our weight is from 90 to 110 kg.

Is there some equation e.g. that you should lift 75% for dumbells weight (both arms combined weight) of the barbell weight?

If there is no such rule, what would be your reccomodation in our cases.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

Why people still think bench is the most important yardstick is beyond me. Why not go for powerlifting total (bench + dead + squat)? Or just compare all your lifts to the strength standards.

Thanks, what about dumbell press? I am unable to find info about dumbbell press and I am interested in dumbbells bench press very much. To me it seems that you can press about 20% less when using dumbells. I would like to hear some opinion from you long term bodybuilders.

E.g. I can do 3 sets with 40 - 50 reps per 1 set with 20 kg dumbbell per arm (40 kg total)

or

3 sets with 15 - 20 reps using 35kg dumbbell per arm (70 kg total)

and about 3 sets with cca 12 reps per set when using 40 (80 kg total)

I think that 45 or 50 is limit for me without supplements. Does anybody here use 50 or 60kg per arm dumbbell when using dumbbell bench press?
    Last edited by qwentin; 10-23-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dontskiplegs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bench press your own weight as a 1rm or a 10rp?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Body weight is an inaccurate (or, let's just say, incomplete) means for determining strength benchmarks. Sure, it might make sense in certain sports, where people of particular heights and builds and backgrounds will naturally gravitate to the weight classes best suited to them (not to mention specific sports, to begin with). But for the general public, or rather people overall? No.

So, you'd need some system of taking into account at least height and bone structure, as well as lean body mass, and preferably more than just those.

In other words, I have no phucking idea.

edit: Hey, at least you had height there in the OP. Nice!