Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner weightlifting along with Triathlon training

My buddy is an avid runner and cyclist and has recently started to train seriously for a triathlon. He has not lifted much before and wants to start lifting to gain some core strength. He has been interested in the Tom Mutaffis 3 day split and I also think it's a great program but I worry that with a rigorous run/bike/swim program that it may be a bit much for recovery. I would like to be able to offer good advice, what would you say is the best program for his goals? Rippetoe or some kind of 5x5 maybe?

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    SS or a similar 5x5 are great, but they are also really taxing with very fast progression. You could instead do A Simple Beginner;s routine stickied at the top of this forum. It has slower progression and would be less taxing on the body.
    The floundering has ended.

Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric90XJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    SS or a similar 5x5 are great, but they are also really taxing with very fast progression. You could instead do A Simple Beginner;s routine stickied at the top of this forum. It has slower progression and would be less taxing on the body.
    I also like the simple beginner's routine as well. I like the fact that it allows the lifter to take time learning the lifts. However, his goals are more strength over size, I see it as more of a size gainer.

JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Eric90XJ View Post
    My buddy is an avid runner and cyclist and has recently started to train seriously for a triathlon. He has not lifted much before and wants to start lifting to gain some core strength. He has been interested in the Tom Mutaffis 3 day split and I also think it's a great program but I worry that with a rigorous run/bike/swim program that it may be a bit much for recovery. I would like to be able to offer good advice, what would you say is the best program for his goals? Rippetoe or some kind of 5x5 maybe?
    5/3/1 do one lift a day. Hard to gain strength and compete in triathlons so do not expect amazing strength gains.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Eric90XJ View Post
    I also like the simple beginner's routine as well. I like the fact that it allows the lifter to take time learning the lifts. However, his goals are more strength over size, I see it as more of a size gainer.
    Then he can run one of the beginner strength routines with the caveat I mentioned
    The floundering has ended.

What would yall think about a 2 day Upper/Lower?

Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'd suggest doing starting strength running it 2days/week
    Get stronger to climb harder!