joswadawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Paramedics/EMS/EMT workouts?

Hello,
    I'm planning to be paramedics and I would just like to know what kind of workout works so I could be ready for to be a paramedic?
    Thanks

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Okay, taking this at face value...

I would suggest doing some strongman training, and similar stuff. For example, you might want to check out Dinosaur Training.

Things like fat bars, stones, sandbags, and other "awkward" objects - that'd be key, I imagine. Farmer's walk, etc. Also, a mix of strength and conditioning in general (always a good idea, but some jobs/lifestyles demand it).

But then, I'm neither a strongman nor a paramedic... so uh, yeah. :/

MidwestMedic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your question is valid, and I agree with the first answer. Being prepared to perform heavy, awkward lifts will be helpful.

That being said, many of your EMS peers will mock your efforts. As a career paramedic and EMS manager, I can say that our industry is terribly out of shape. I'm up 30 pounds since starting my mass building program, and my medics think I'm nuts. Don't let that effect you, though. Challenge yourself consistently, both physically and mentally.

Best of luck in your efforts!

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    based on the paramedics I know locally you might want to gain an additional 100 pounds

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    based on the paramedics I know locally you might want to gain an additional 100 pounds
    He's over 300 lbs

How old are you OP?

I am about to turn 19 years old and weigh around 150 (swimming made me really light lol)

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    Why? I was a combat medic in the army for 4 years and was 150lbs and taller than the OP. Never seemed to hinder me.

OP Just being in shape and involving yourself in any sort of strength training is more than enough for the needs of an EMT. No specific routine is needed but I would suggest practicing the more physical parts of the job (carries).

CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharlieChap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My sister is a paramedic and she does a basic strength training program and additionally most of her hobbies are athletic(soccer, dance, hiking, rock climbing).
    She's been doing this kind of work over a decade too.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP:

First off, thank you for your desire to help your community by saving lives. Your field is an honorable career.

Now, GET FREAKIN' STRONG FIRST!

Don't worry about any fancy routine for now. Get on a 5 x 5 program. Set a goal of bodyweight squat and bodyweight deadlift. Once you get strong enough, then go ahead and do some type of strongman training, and even add some crossfit-type training. Strength is king, baby. You raise your strength level and all the other fitness components will improve..

Not making fun of anybody, but reality is that 60% of the people you will help will be on the fat side.

Best of luck!
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

What is a 5 x 5 program? Sorry newbie

dcemtbnc2019 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

I'm fixing to start EMT B class and I was wondering on the deadlift and physical activity how much should I be able to lift

keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000) keepitnatty is just really nice. (+1000)
    Surely u mean firefighter medic if not for regular ems being able to deadlift 315 for a couple reps and decent grip strength for 10 pull ups should be enough as u will always have a partner to help u

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dcemtbnc2019 View Post
    I'm fixing to start EMT B class and I was wondering on the deadlift and physical activity how much should I be able to lift
    As NorwichGrad recommended before (which is still excellent advice) - shoot for a bodyweight deadlift first and foremost. Follow any beginner strength program and get as strong as you can. Other than that, just take some walks regularly and sprint 1-2 times a week and you'll be well covered to be an EMT.

CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The job requires a "strong" back, grip and be able to bend over and be on your knees. Don't become the medic that lets the EMT do all the lifting while you stand back and watch ( assuming you've taken care of all the ALS measure already).
    If you're going to be a Firefighter/ Paramedic...then train like a FF ( crossfit style, not my favorite style but that is how they train in the FD now)

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've trained several paramedics. You need to be strong. Many careers are ended by moving a patient - a person is a heavy and awkward object, particularly since many of the people you see will tend to be the heavier half of the population. Here they have a No Lift Policy and all sorts of equipment to help, but in the end if a 300lb guy strokes out in a toilet cubicle you need to be at least strong enough to roll him over and rifle through his pockets for loose change.

Don't be the guy who pops a disc. Get strong.

If a pure paramedic you don't need any cardio. At most you need to sprint up a few flights of stairs with your bags, or run 100 yards back to the truck to get the crowbar to smack into the psych patient wrestling your partner. If your patient can run 5km away from you then they don't need your help.

Now, firefighter or something is different, and more complicated. But if you're just in an ambulance dealing with patient transports and drunk guys donking their heads and whacking some narcan into a druggie and the occasional CPR/defib, just get strong. At a minimum, press and deadlift, and some farmer's walks for good measure.

And just don't get obese. Easy to do with all those stupid shifts, eating crap food at 3am.

From a former client,

https://ambofoam.wordpress.com/2015/...ur-ems-career/

and of course his series on surviving your first year is good and gives you an idea of what to expect

https://ambofoam.wordpress.com/2014/...e-road-part-1/