oldguy1961 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strange Calf Phenomenon

I have been experiencing a strange calf phenomenon the past few years and I am wondering if anyone else has had this and/or knows is going on?

I train calves regularly and and they are 15 inches. When I do a calf workout they don't get much of a pump maybe 1/8 of an inch. I also run 4 miles a day. When I go for a long drive in a vehicle for an hour or more, my calves get much bigger. They go from 15 inches to 16.5 inches and look great and huge. They stay that way for a couple of hours. What the heck is going on?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by oldguy1961 View Post
    I have been experiencing a strange calf phenomenon the past few years and I am wondering if anyone else has had this and/or knows is going on?

I train calves regularly and and they are 15 inches. When I do a calf workout they don't get much of a pump maybe 1/8 of an inch. I also run 4 miles a day. When I go for a long drive in a vehicle for an hour or more, my calves get much bigger. They go from 15 inches to 16.5 inches and look great and huge. They stay that way for a couple of hours. What the heck is going on?
    My guess - and this is only a guess - is that it is blood and fluid pooling due to inactivity. Same thing as people's feet swelling when they sit for long periods of time.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    My guess - and this is only a guess - is that it is blood and fluid pooling due to inactivity. Same thing as people's feet swelling when they sit for long periods of time.
    Yes I am pretty sure that is what is happening too but is it dangerous and indicative of some serious medical condition?

ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by oldguy1961 View Post
    Yes I am pretty sure that is what is happening too but is it dangerous and indicative of some serious medical condition?
    You really need to talk to a doctor to figure that out. Edema can be an indicator of a serious problem, but no one here can diagnose you.

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    ^^ My thoughts as well, it sounds like a circulation issue. Check with your doctor.

Originally Posted by itsagoodday View Post
    ^^ My thoughts as well, it sounds like a circulation issue. Check with your doctor.
    Well that is the thing, I already saw a doctor and had complete blood work, blood pressure check, a nuclear stress test that revealed zero blockage. So I don't have kidney problems which would show up in blood work, I don't have circulation problems - zero blockage and run 4 miles per day. The Mayo site specifically says one of the causes could be: Sitting for a long time, such as during airline flights. Also people with Edema, circulation problems consistently have swollen ankes and feet or swollen legs, angles and feet. My feet and ankles have zero swelling and so do my upper legs. It is only calves and it is only when I sit for a long time for 2 hours or more. I am now thinking it is common but since the average person has poor "body awareness" compared to a lifter, they would never notice an increase in the size of the calves.