Registered User SigmaAlphaBoner's Avatar
    SigmaAlphaBoner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Critique my workout routine

All preformed with 6x4.

Monday
    Seated cable chest flies
    Pec deck
    Flat dumbbell bench press
    Dumbbell flyes

Tuesday
    Chin-ups
    Lying tricep extention
    Alt. dumbbell curls
    Cable one arm bicep curls
    Cable one arm tricep extention

Wednesday
    Upright rows
    Dumbbell side lateral
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Lying rear delt raise
    Reverse pec deck

Thursday
    Wide grip chins
    Dumbbell bent-over row
    T-bar rows
    Cable crunches
    Deadlifts

Friday
    One legged squat
    One legged seated leg press
    Calf raises
    Leg extentions
    Hamstring curls

And I throw in some dumbbell wrist curls throughout the week.

khani3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) khani3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) khani3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) khani3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) khani3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What works for others may not necessary work for you, make sure you keep a log and ensure you can see progression.

However 2 things I would personally do differently
    1) Get a rest day in between the week
    2) Change legs to the 3rd workout as it gives more rest and recovery time for your upper body.

^Sounds like a good idea, I'll start doing that. Btw is it ok to keep doing these same exercises week after week? I heard that its better to switch it up every now and then but does it really matter?

bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SigmaAlphaBoner View Post
    ^Sounds like a good idea, I'll start doing that. Btw is it ok to keep doing these same exercises week after week? I heard that its better to switch it up every now and then but does it really matter?
    at your current size you could get away with something alot more simpler. IA's SPBR, SS, all pros beginer routine, lyle mcdonalds generic routine. just pick one. at your stage you dont need a 5 day split.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are a buck forty.

You don't need a 5 way split.

If you want to split, a simple upper/lower, or push/pull/legs is easier to program.

You should be able to use higher frequency at novice stage.

You don't need a bodypart split which is very inefficient for a beginner. Tho' it might work for a guy already squatting and pulling four plates(405lbs) for reps.

A lot of your exercises are either redundant or silly. That is because you don't know about proper programming.

One legged squats may be fun. So are overhead squats(actually useful to Weightlifters, not much use to anyone else). So are one legged squats with a pink dumbbell while standing on a swiss ball and balancing a glass of water on your head. Nobody cares if you don't spill the water.

If you don't want to stay at a buck forty for the rest of your life, get serious about big basic barbell exercises like squat, bench, press, row, deadlift, curl

All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine is perfect for you if you have the balls to run it for at least a year(10 cycles), and the smarts to eat enough protein and calories to grow muscle, and the smarts not to fck with the program. Your mother will hardly recognize you when you are squatting and stiff leg deadlifting three plates(315lbs) for 8-12 reps.

You'll have muscle all over, without a lot of weak links. You'll have strength and strength endurance to go with the muscle. And you'll know what works: progressive training(adding weight to the bar regularly) on a rational program based on big basic exercises, with some bonus exercises for balance.

And you won't piss around with anything resembling your current "program".

Lift WELL and prosper.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

I appreciate the input but I'm not a novice at all. I've been lifting for real like 2 years now and I've got some pretty good gains; though its been plateauing for a while now. I may not weigh much but I'm able to do 225lb on stiff legged deadlifts. For my weight I've got pretty good output. I heard of that routine but I don't really like doing full body workouts. Have you heard about Max-OT? Honestly, I care more about strength than just mass

ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Have you heard about Max-OT? Honestly, I care more about strength than just mass
    What in this paragraf didn't you understand?

All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine is perfect for you if you have the balls to run it for at least a year(10 cycles), and the smarts to eat enough protein and calories to grow muscle, and the smarts not to fck with the program. Your mother will hardly recognize you when you are squatting and stiff leg deadlifting three plates(315lbs) for 8-12 reps.
    225 lbs SLDL for how many reps? jgreystoke just led you into a program that will work fine for tiny guys like you and the other tips will guarantee you to gain strenght. It pretty straight forward.

You do that, and thank him later
    my workout log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147657213
    my blog about weight lifting -> http://jsaarelainen.wordpress.com/
    "May the sun illuminate thy path!"

my currents : sq 319 - dl 419 - bp - 231 - ohp 143
    my goals 2014 : sq 341 - dl 440 - bp 242 - ohp 154

Originally Posted by ulsak View Post
    What in this paragraf didn't you understand?

225 lbs SLDL for how many reps? jgreystoke just led you into a program that will work fine for tiny guys like you and the other tips will guarantee you to gain strenght. It pretty straight forward.

You do that, and thank him later
    I read it, chill out man, constructive criticism is good but it doesn't have to get aggressive. I'll give it a try. Just figured maybe someone could tweak my workout or something. And I can do 225lbs at 5x5

ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm truly sorry. It was really rudely written. But the primary goal was to shake down a few apples not to be overly aggressive.
    Wish you the best luck with your gains, man!
    my workout log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147657213
    my blog about weight lifting -> http://jsaarelainen.wordpress.com/
    "May the sun illuminate thy path!"

my currents : sq 319 - dl 419 - bp - 231 - ohp 143
    my goals 2014 : sq 341 - dl 440 - bp 242 - ohp 154

Originally Posted by ulsak View Post
    I'm truly sorry. It was really rudely written. But the primary goal was to shake down a few apples not to be overly aggressive.
    Wish you the best luck with your gains, man!
    It's all good, I appreciate all the input I've been getting so far, its useful. And thanks man, and to you too

Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keenl3ody will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do you know what your 1rm is for barbell bench, barbell back squat, and standard deadlift are?

lifting "serious" for a certain time doesnt dictate whether youre a beginner or not. ive been lifting for like 3 years and im still not sure whether or not im a beginner

edit: your routine goes: chest, arms, shoulders, back, then legs. is that correct?
    for me, the hardest part about lifting weights is leaving the gym when my workout is finished. I keep checking my log book but it keeps telling me that it's the last set. even worse, tomorrow is rest day. fml

^No, I actually don't know my maxes, so far I've been trying out heavier weights to see if I can finish it at 6 reps or lower than that, mostly until failure. I substitute dumbbell bench presses instead of barbell because I almost always lift by myself. And yeah I know, but its not like I haven't done any reading. But honestly, who likes being called a beginner? And yeah, that's right, that's how I've got it planned out so far but I might just ditch it and go with some of the suggestions here