mikerx5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Proposed Gym: Functional Trainer and Smith Machine w/Plate Holders

Lurked forever and tried to search so figured I would just get some opinions - the feedback here is terriric.

Looking to install a home gym in our basement. Proposed setup is a functional trainer, 90lb powerblocks, smith machine WITH plate holders, fully adjustable bench. We already have the cardio equipment.

I know everyone shy's from the smith machines, as do i, but my wife uses them loyally. I wanted to get something that would work well for her and I - and with the plate holders included, I can do all my free weight bar exercises so a cage isn't necessary for what we need.

With that being said, I would like the both pieces to be from the same manufacturer - we are forfeiting our gym memberships and plan to use this for a long time.

I narrowed it down to the Hoist V6 with the HF4985 Smith OR the Life Fitness G7 with the LF Optima Series Smith. I am getting the same pricing more or less for the whole setup and have tested out other brands but liked these the most and not interested in any others.

Anyone have any recent insight on these specific setups? I have read alot about the V6 on here but not much on the rest.

Really appreicate the feedback and comments - could use the advice of some experienced users!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Another one to look at is the Hoist PTS system which has an option for a functional trainer on the front and a optional lat machine in the back. The middle part of the machine is a Jones machine - basically a Smith that moves in two dimensions.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    One plate holding power rack would be much simpler after a little practice. What do you and your wife do on the smith? What kind of weight are you lifting? Goals?

Hoist is a well regarded brand but that smith machine you picked is not angled. I heard that's bad somewhere on this forum.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

I did see that actually but wanted the 2 units since we have the room and which would allow us to exercise at the same time.

She does most of her leg work on the smith... trust me, i tried to talk her out of it but, happy wife = happy life.

For me, I do free weights unless but prefer cables for tri. Mostly pullups, bench, squats, deadlifts and shrugs.

didn't realize that smith isn't angled, disadvantage?

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
    She does most of her leg work on the smith... trust me, i tried to talk her out of it but, happy wife = happy life.

For me, I do free weights unless but prefer cables for tri. Mostly pullups, bench, squats, deadlifts and shrugs.

didn't realize that smith isn't angled, disadvantage?
    The angled smith is supposed to be more ergonomically correct for squats as the 7 degree angle mimics the body's motion during squats. I've used both but have always just put my feet a little further forward when squatting in a non angled smith. Personally I prefer the ones that don't have the angle to them because I find the angled smiths feel a little odd when doing pressing and rowing movements.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have an angled smith. IMO it sux for squating but I really like the angle for every thing else. I just quit using it for squating. I would be fine with either angled or straight as I have trained on both.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    She does most of her leg work on the smith... trust me, i tried to talk her out of it but, happy wife = happy life
    It's funny to watch equipment selling because of some silly mental ticks. Maybe show her some crossfit vids.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    What are her goals, and what are your goals? She might not understand that there is a lot of other stuff besides a Smith machine, and that it isn't right for her goals if she isn't into long term bodybuilding.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

I appreciate all of the feedback. Lot of thought has been put into this and the equipment we are getting is exactly what we are looking for.

At this point, I am really looking for opinions on the actual equipment highlighted. She does do cross-fit, yoga, you name it, but she also uses the smith and on certain occasions to mix things up I will as well.

The angled smith was really something I hadn't noticed, thanks for pointing that out.

Any opinions on the actual equipment lines listed above?

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I appreciate all of the feedback. Lot of thought has been put into this and the equipment we are getting is exactly what we are looking for.

At this point, I am really looking for opinions on the actual equipment highlighted. She does do cross-fit, yoga, you name it, but she also uses the smith and on certain occasions to mix things up I will as well.

The angled smith was really something I hadn't noticed, thanks for pointing that out.

Any opinions on the actual equipment lines listed above?
    One thing I noticed on the Life vs the Hoist smith machine is that the Hoist doesn't appear to be able to go all the way to the ground due to the stops. The Life looks like it gets much closer to the floor. Not a big deal but if your wife wants to do deadlifts, or stiff leg or Romanian deadlift she might be better off with the Life smith.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    One thing I noticed on the Life vs the Hoist smith machine is that the Hoist doesn't appear to be able to go all the way to the ground due to the stops. The Life looks like it gets much closer to the floor. Not a big deal but if your wife wants to do deadlifts, or stiff leg or Romanian deadlift she might be better off with the Life smith.
    I know you are set on those two brands and if it were my choice only between them I would lean toward Hoist. You would give up the low Smith deadlift as a previous poster pointed out though. One other brand worth considering for two pieces is Bodycraft. Maybe something like this: http://www.bodycraft.com/product.php?p_name=PFT and this: http://www.bodycraft.com/product.php?p_name=JFNB

From a functional training standpoint I do like Cybex as shown here because it provides stabilization support for different exercises: http://www.cybexintl.com/functional-trainer-bravo.aspx# This gives an example in video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX5uO...feature=relmfu

I am going back and forth between the Cybex with stabilization and this Tuff Stuff piece http://www.tuffstuffitness.com/produ...hString=10004C (no stabilization) but you can go wide or narrow which the other units mentioned above cannot do.

Let us know what you end up going with and how it works out. Good luck!