Closed Thread
    Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50)

So what happens when you work out and don't get enough protein?

Like, physically, what happens?

Right now my understanding is that working out is catabolic. Your muscles break down/tear and then the body uses protein intake to patch things up and reinforce things to be a bit stronger than before.

So when you don't get enough protein, is it just a matter of the muscles not being able to reinforce themselves as much as they could be, or do you get muscle wasting if they are torn and unable to get enough to even fill in the gaps?

Brutal skin thinning igglesphan's Avatar
    igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000)
    It depends on your caloric intake. If you're in a caloric surplus with low protein, you may be fine... both fat and carbs are protein sparing. If you're in a deficit, protein becomes more important.

Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Whartonian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    But if you're in a surplus and not getting enough protein, how do the muscles become bigger/stronger? Wouldn't one just gain mostly fat?

shinyjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not too much really happens when you eat low protein. You just don't build your muscles as quickly and effectively. As long as you are eating a sufficient amount of calories, your muscles know how to repair themselves even if you eat low protein. This day in age, it's hard not to eat enough protein though. We don't need as much as most people think.

Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by shinyjs View Post
    Not too much really happens when you eat low protein. You just don't build your muscles as quickly and effectively. As long as you are eating a sufficient amount of calories, your muscles know how to repair themselves even if you eat low protein. This day in age, it's hard not to eat enough protein though. We don't need as much as most people think.
    Depends on your diet, your workout regimen, and of course, genetics.

For instance, when I was cutting, I was doing an intense version of P90X and as a vegetarian, I wasn't getting enough protein. End result? I lost muscle, strength, and while I got lean, it wasn't the best way to go about doing it.

Even now, I'm on a bulk and I'm struggling to hit 1.2g/lbm while eating a reasonable amount of calories. So, your blanket/generalized statement need not be applicable to everyone.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Whartonian View Post
    But if you're in a surplus and not getting enough protein, how do the muscles become bigger/stronger? Wouldn't one just gain mostly fat?
    They wont get stronger, but 1g per lb of lbm is enough unless you are doing sports, running, and lifting, then the demand goes up. 1g per lb of lbm is too easy not to get.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're over thinking here.

I suggest more reading on nutrition fundamentals.

The body is in a constant state of anabolism and catabolism.

It's not as simple as;

workout - catabolism
    Eat - anabolism

There are no hard and fast rules on protein requirement. *Protein is muscle sparing. For bodybuilding purposes protein synthesis is important to maintain and gain LBM.

Most people around here will recommend at least 0.8 gram to every pound of LBM and upwards to 1.6 grams per lb of LBM.

Be on the safe side if you want to look good naked and just stay somewhere around the minimum recommendations for protein and fat and you won't have to worry about dat catabolizms.

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    1g per lb of lbm is too easy not to get.
    Unless you're cutting heavy, I'm coming down from a high BF% and running a high deficit. I only take in 1800-2000 calories a day, I have to make a concious effort to eat protein rich foods. Around 80% of my diet is made up of meats, nuts and skimmed milk.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by matman1813 View Post
    Unless you're cutting heavy, I'm coming down from a high BF% and running a high deficit. I only take in 1800-2000 calories a day, I have to make a concious effort to eat protein rich foods. Around 80% of my diet is made up of meats, nuts and skimmed milk.
    I am in your boat. I diet EXACTLY in the same range you are in. I am gaining muscle just fine on 1 gram per lean pound even as I lose a pound a week.

I also have a hard time getting enough protein from regular meals. I supplement that with 3 ON whey shakes a day. That bumps me up to 180-200 grams of protein depending on the day.

1 gram of protein per lean pound is just fine for lifting and gaining for me.

caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Powerkicker View Post
    I am in your boat. I diet EXACTLY in the same range you are in. I am gaining muscle just fine on 1 gram per lean pound even as I lose a pound a week.

I also have a hard time getting enough protein from regular meals. I supplement that with 3 ON whey shakes a day. That bumps me up to 180-200 grams of protein depending on the day.

1 gram of protein per lean pound is just fine for lifting and gaining for me.
    Protein is insanely hard for me to get. Im in college and I do not have access to any stoves or anything and I just have a crockpot and microwave. I sometimes only get 100 grams of protein in a day when I should be getting around 140-150 for 1g per LBM

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by caseyjohnson View Post
    Protein is insanely hard for me to get. Im in college and I do not have access to any stoves or anything and I just have a crockpot and microwave. I sometimes only get 100 grams of protein in a day when I should be getting around 140-150 for 1g per LBM
    You guys dont have a cafeteria? There are no local grocery stores around your school? Being in college is a pretty weak excuse man. If you want it bad enough you will figure it out
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can only hit my macros with atleast 6-7 on shakes a day. Study abroad in asia is great but living in halls where the canteen food is pretty much rice all the time and not muich else doesn't leave you many option. Also no access to fridge or coooking equipment. Just have to make do and hit 1.2g lbm
    ** Forever Cutting Crew**

Squat: 375lbs
    Bench: 253lbs
    Deads: 485lbs

R U looking at ma pint? FatScottishGuy's Avatar
    FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Whartonian View Post
    in my early days I was doing this (focusing more on calories than macros) so I was mostly eating carbs...and I found I basically just trod water strength wise. Wasn't until I actually read stuff and realised that sufficient protein was the most important macro to concentrate on did I make progress.

I'm just telling you so you know what happened to me...however as other people said, it very much depends on your situation/genetics etc.

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

optimal and minimal are two different things

The only thing I'd note is that we are the only population that recommends protein intakes as high as we do. If you look at the nutrition sticky, strength coaches recommend something like half of what we do. If you look at psmf studies, the highest they go is 1g per KG of lean mass (like .45g per pound)... these studies were able to induce fat loss with extremely low calorie diets (like 600 kcal for fatties) with minimal lbm loss.

So... 1g per lbm certainly has it's metabolic advantages, and I would definitely recommend it, but I would call it an "optimal"level of proat intake, not a "minimum." If I'm 20g under at the end of the day and I'm not hungry, I don't purposely drink another shake. I'm down 112 lb of fat doing this with no lbm loss.
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

Worlds slowest cut-ter SilvaMan61's Avatar
    SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Buy a jug of whey? 1-2 scoops would solve that problem.
    Buy toaster oven that can broil.
    Maybe look for pre cooked chicken, toss in microwave to re heat?
    "The hardship of the exercises is intended less to strengthen the back than to toughen the mind. The Spartans say that any army may win while it still has it's legs under it; the real test comes when all strength has fled and the men must produce victory on will alone." (Pressfield,1998, p.78)

BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeABeast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    They wont get stronger, but 1g per lb of lbm is enough unless you are doing sports, running, and lifting, then the demand goes up. 1g per lb of lbm is too easy not to get.
    You will def get stronger with protien intake far less than 1g/LBM. That recommended amount is high and on the safe side of things. For most 70 - 120 g is enough. Brad Pilon has a book on how much protien, anyone interested in this subject should give it a read.

As for Op, working out is catabolic but I think carbs are what reverse this effect. That's why its recommended one eats carbs and protien after a tough workout. Carbs reverse the catabolic effect an protien helps build/repair muscle.

Hairiest ass on the misc biggoron's Avatar
    biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Protein shakes, bars?
    LEO

Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riffo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The daily requirement changes every day due to changes in your daily routine. The only person who can tell you what you need today - is you. See how your body reacts and make adjustments according to what you see.

TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Riffo View Post
    The daily requirement changes every day due to changes in your daily routine. The only person who can tell you what you need today - is you. See how your body reacts and make adjustments according to what you see.
    Couldn't agree more. My LBM is about 180lbs. And I've been low calorie dieting for almost a year now, and been eating around 220g of protein. Seen great results on high protein, high fat, and low to moderate carbs. But now I've increased my carbs, and decreased my protein to 190g per day. Going to be interesting to see how things change.

TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamAesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look into buying Beef Jerky, wholesale (costco, sam's club). As long as you don't overdo it, you could easily get in 25-30g per day this way. Also, protein bars, and cottage cheese is pretty much available everywhere - 1 cup will get you 30g of protein. Protein bars, 20g right there. But buy in wholesale!

grootkanonne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ADEAD - A dozen eggs a day

I know it sounds craazy but boiling a dozen eggs during the evening and then snacking on them throughout the next day is a quick,easy and nutrient dense way to bumo up those calories, bumps your protein intake by an average of 70grams, just dont open the container in the office, and buy some gum coz your breath will smell like fart.

Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by grootkanonne View Post

I know it sounds craazy but boiling a dozen eggs during the evening and then snacking on them throughout the next day is a quick,easy and nutrient dense way to bumo up those calories, bumps your protein intake by an average of 70grams, just dont open the container in the office, and buy some gum coz your breath will smell like fart.

Lots of eggs are good for protein so long as you don't have cholestorol problems. I personally do have a high level so I stick with mostly fish, bird and lean beef cuts. Beyond that, it is powder for me.

VJ1313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by igglesphan View Post
    It depends on your caloric intake. If you're in a caloric surplus with low protein, you may be fine... both fat and carbs are protein sparing. If you're in a deficit, protein becomes more important.
    Hi, I am on a caloric deficit (1000 to 1200 calories per day). I am 202 lbs and 5'10', a vegetarian. I am working out 5 to 6 days a week that includes 1 hour of weight training (intense) and 30 minutes on cardio (walking on 15% incline at speed of 2.5 to 3 miles per hour).

Do I need to take Whey protein. If yes, how much per day ?

michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) michaeljon2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by VJ1313 View Post
    Hi, I am on a caloric deficit (1000 to 1200 calories per day). I am 202 lbs and 5'10', a vegetarian. I am working out 5 to 6 days a week that includes 1 hour of weight training (intense) and 30 minutes on cardio (walking on 15% incline at speed of 2.5 to 3 miles per hour).

Do I need to take Whey protein. If yes, how much per day ?
    Yeah but what happens when u work out crazy hard but your parents don't let you have any eggs or shakes or food because they say "gluttony is a sin" what then?
    Last edited by michaeljon2; 01-19-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by grootkanonne View Post

Eat 7 eggs for lunch 2x a week at work crew, fuk them lol.

Originally Posted by Powerkicker View Post
    Lots of eggs are good for protein so long as you don't have cholestorol problems. I personally do have a high level so I stick with mostly fish, bird and lean beef cuts. Beyond that, it is powder for me.
    Some Heart & Stroke Foundation within the last couple years came out and said that cholesterol in food does not contribute to blood cholesterol.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by michaeljon2 View Post
    Yeah but what happens when u work out crazy hard but your parents don't let you have any eggs or shakes or food because they say "gluttony is a sin" what then?
    It means you're a big boy now and you need to find a place to live on your own! Also, you don't need shakes as such... food will do just fine.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "