ir0n_ma1den has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Starting 531, on the right path?

I just started 531 with the BBB accessories and I intend to stick with it for atleast of year. Before this, I would switch my routine every few months because I was unsure if I was doing the right thing. My main goal it to become huge and aesthetic, but I also love gaining strength.

I'm currently 20yrs old, 6ft @ 170lbs aiming for 200lbs.

Bench 5x165
    Squat 5x300 (ATG)
    Dead 5x300 (No straps)
    OHP 5x115

Is 531 right for me? and should I add dips into the mix?

This is me right now

me.JPG

tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ir0n_ma1den View Post
    I just started 531 with the BBB accessories and I intend to stick with it for atleast of year. Before this, I would switch my routine every few months because I was unsure if I was doing the right thing. My main goal it to become huge and aesthetic, but I also love gaining strength.

I'm currently 20yrs old, 6ft @ 170lbs aiming for 200lbs.

Bench 5x165
    Squat 5x300 (ATG)
    Dead 5x300 (No straps)
    OHP 5x115

Is 531 right for me? and should I add dips into the mix?

This is me right now

Attachment 4985253
    5/3/1 may be good for you then if you were "unsure you were doing the right thing." The right thing is whatever makes you bigger and stronger, in which 5/3/1 with BBB can do both. One thing people seem to not understand with the BBB template is that you don't have to move up in weight every time. That should not even be the goal of the 5x10. The 5x10 should be challenging and that is it. increasing the load on the 5x10 will not have much of an effect on your strength so why strive to push the weight up? If you busted your ass on the 5x10, don't move up. Move up when it is much less difficult and you complete the 5x10 with moderate strain, but still have some left in the tank. You will still get a training effect by doing this.

Don't stick with it for a year, stick with it for as long as it works. This may be three years or not at all. There is no need for dips if you are already doing bench for 5x10. Despite what you hear a lot on here, you don't need insane amounts of volume to grow. As little as 50 reps a week is plenty if you're doing it right.

This game is diet diet diet. This training program will only take you as far as your diet will let it. If it sucks ass don't plan on gaining anything. Even if you're eating enough to gain weight you're gonna be a fatty if you don't make good food choices i.e. ditch the captain crunch for breakfast and have some oats or Ezekiel bread.

ir0n_ma1den has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tom10 View Post
    5/3/1 may be good for you then if you were "unsure you were doing the right thing." The right thing is whatever makes you bigger and stronger, in which 5/3/1 with BBB can do both. One thing people seem to not understand with the BBB template is that you don't have to move up in weight every time. That should not even be the goal of the 5x10. The 5x10 should be challenging and that is it. increasing the load on the 5x10 will not have much of an effect on your strength so why strive to push the weight up? If you busted your ass on the 5x10, don't move up. Move up when it is much less difficult and you complete the 5x10 with moderate strain, but still have some left in the tank. You will still get a training effect by doing this.

Don't stick with it for a year, stick with it for as long as it works. This may be three years or not at all. There is no need for dips if you are already doing bench for 5x10. Despite what you hear a lot on here, you don't need insane amounts of volume to grow. As little as 50 reps a week is plenty if you're doing it right.

This game is diet diet diet. This training program will only take you as far as your diet will let it. If it sucks ass don't plan on gaining anything. Even if you're eating enough to gain weight you're gonna be a fatty if you don't make good food choices i.e. ditch the captain crunch for breakfast and have some oats or Ezekiel bread.
    That's good to hear. So with 531 BBB, do I up the weight of just the first compound every cycle (10lbs for lower body, 5lbs for upper)?

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ir0n_ma1den View Post
    That's good to hear. So with 531 BBB, do I up the weight of just the first compound every cycle (10lbs for lower body, 5lbs for upper)?
    You up bench and ohp 5lbs and squat and deads go up 10lbs each cycle until you start to stall. With that your bbb sets are 50% your training max so if your tm goes up...your bbb sets go up as well.
    OG

tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    With that your bbb sets are 50% your training max so if your tm goes up...your bbb sets go up as well.
    This is another way to think about it. In this case, you'll be using your 5x10 with the same weight for a month. That should be enough time to lower the difficulty from hard to moderate so you're ready for the weight increase after four weeks.