Burstyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best workout to hit each body part twice a week

Hey guys,

I've been lifting for over a year and currently train each body part once a week, but have read that training each body part twice a week will increase growth dramatically so I would like to switch over to this but have no idea where to start..I've read about push/pull and upper/lower body splits and stuff, will I be looking at something like this or what?

Any advice would be appreciated!

rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends how many days a week you can go to the gym. If you are limited Upper/lower might be the way to go or if you are fairly free to go most if not every day a legs/pull/push/off repeat is optimal IN MY OPINION, but like i said it'll depend on how often you can go.
    - Gym over everything Beta Crew
    - Hungry even when Bulking Crew
    - Glorious God Gamer
    - Would rather risk fatherfood then wear protection Crew

Originally Posted by rmwing View Post
    Depends how many days a week you can go to the gym. If you are limited Upper/lower might be the way to go or if you are fairly free to go most if not every day a legs/pull/push/off repeat is optimal IN MY OPINION, but like i said it'll depend on how often you can go.
    3-4 days a week is easily achievable for me, I could do 5 but I would prefer 4

rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Burstyy View Post
    3-4 days a week is easily achievable for me, I could do 5 but I would prefer 4
    Well yeah if you would prefer 4 then Upper/Lower is the way to go.
    - Gym over everything Beta Crew
    - Hungry even when Bulking Crew
    - Glorious God Gamer
    - Would rather risk fatherfood then wear protection Crew

Originally Posted by rmwing View Post
    Well yeah if you would prefer 4 then Upper/Lower is the way to go.
    Sweet thanks, do you know any reputable upper/lower workout plans? I find looking at some that it's often to light on one body part such as biceps etc.

SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sweet thanks, do you know any reputable upper/lower workout plans? I find looking at some that it's often to light on one body part such as biceps etc.
    Upper body has so many more muscles than lower body - so you may have to sacrifice one bodypart some every other workout. Like focus on tri's vs. bi's or sacrifice some front or mid delt reps in order to hit rear delts. incline chest vs. straight vs. outer vs. inner.

If you try to hit everything every workout, then you could be in the gym waaaay too long and overtrain.

rmwing's suggestion of push/pull/legs would make sense if you could swing it.

Get to the bottom of training twice a week vs. once (per bodypart) - the idea is that you're doubling the load and maintaining a more consistent tear/repair cycle. If you're going to sacrifice quantity per bodypart per session in order to do get two a week in - you're not adding more truly.

You might be better off with a four or five way split.

Take a look at Kris Gethin's DTP workout - 4 weeks of intense and completely enveloping workouts - and he hits each bodypart once per week. It's intense. I'm going for it shortly. Maybe if you give that a month of devotion, sell out to something like that, you can see some change and may give you a perspective on the route you want to take.

Hope this helps you in some way bueno suerte!
    Cellucor Black Ops

1Cor 6:19-20, 1Cor 10:31, Phil 4:13

wrapping: ProMera PéAK 400 & CON-CRēT (t=155116453)

past logs/reviews:
    P6 is Back in BLACK (t=153328101)
    ErgoShed + ErgoBolic = My Shortcut to Shred Secret (t=153380681)
    Will Anabolic Halo get me into heaven? (a MuscleTech story) (t=151254743)

Originally Posted by SWelch View Post
    Upper body has so many more muscles than lower body - so you may have to sacrifice one bodypart some every other workout. Like focus on tri's vs. bi's or sacrifice some front or mid delt reps in order to hit rear delts. incline chest vs. straight vs. outer vs. inner.

If you try to hit everything every workout, then you could be in the gym waaaay too long and overtrain.

rmwing's suggestion of push/pull/legs would make sense if you could swing it.

Get to the bottom of training twice a week vs. once (per bodypart) - the idea is that you're doubling the load and maintaining a more consistent tear/repair cycle. If you're going to sacrifice quantity per bodypart per session in order to do get two a week in - you're not adding more truly.

You might be better off with a four or five way split.

Take a look at Kris Gethin's DTP workout - 4 weeks of intense and completely enveloping workouts - and he hits each bodypart once per week. It's intense. I'm going for it shortly. Maybe if you give that a month of devotion, sell out to something like that, you can see some change and may give you a perspective on the route you want to take.

Hope this helps you in some way bueno suerte!
    Thanks alot, the reason i'm trying to change is that at the moment I just go 4 times a week, i'll go in and be like, oh I feel like chest and tri's today, lets do that.. and theres no real structure in what I do, and recently reading about training and how training each body part twice a week has a better tear/repair cycle as you stated and protein synthesis and all of that.

I think the problem is that I currently do about 9-12 sets per body part so going to a upper/lower body split, i'm going to be doing less than that so I just need to get that mindset through my head so it doesn't feel like i'm not doing enough training.

Does anyone have any tips on how I should select the exercises I do or link me to a good workout routine?

stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    PHAT

I do 5 work days on an 8 day rotation instead of 7 due to school constraints but it's pretty much still solid frequency.
    SQ: 225x5 (High-bar ATG)
    DL: 295x5/315x1

"Many basic or compound exercises (e.g. squat, bench press, etc.) have a bell shaped resistance curves or shift the resistance through multiple muscle groups throughout the exercise's range of motion allowing the muscles to momentarily relax between repetitions. This period of momentary relaxation between repetitions allows greater opportunity for momentary blood flow permitting the clearing of acid accumulation."

Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adrian77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Check out this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115643271&page=1

Originally Posted by stealthmedia View Post
    PHAT

I do 5 work days on an 8 day rotation instead of 7 due to school constraints but it's pretty much still solid frequency.
    This looks interesting! It would be a struggle to make it 5 days a week though.. but maybe I could try the 8 days a week like you but it would kind've defeat the purpose I think

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Push/pull will do this as well, especially if you use compound only lifts

push(heavy)
    squats 5x5
    bench 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    pressdowns 5x20

Pull(heavy)
    Deadlifts 5x5(ramping to a top 1x5)
    pull ups 5xAMAP
    bent over rows 5x5
    curls 5x20

Push(light)
    squats 4x10
    bench 4x10
    OHP 4x10
    dips 5xAMAP

Pull(light)
    SLDL 4x10
    chin ups 5xAMAP
    bent over rows 4x10
    rear delt flies 4x10

Add 5lbs to bench, row and OHP each time you hit 5x5, add 10lbs to squats and deads each time you hit 5x5. other lifts add as needed. The light(4x10 days) are 80% heavy days. 5x20 curls and pressdowns are to aid in recovery, pump your arms and increase your endurance on the main lifts.
    OG

stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This looks interesting! It would be a struggle to make it 5 days a week though.. but maybe I could try the 8 days a week like you but it would kind've defeat the purpose I think
    5 in 8 is more than 4 in 7
    SQ: 225x5 (High-bar ATG)
    DL: 295x5/315x1

"Many basic or compound exercises (e.g. squat, bench press, etc.) have a bell shaped resistance curves or shift the resistance through multiple muscle groups throughout the exercise's range of motion allowing the muscles to momentarily relax between repetitions. This period of momentary relaxation between repetitions allows greater opportunity for momentary blood flow permitting the clearing of acid accumulation."

SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SWelch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks alot, the reason i'm trying to change is that at the moment I just go 4 times a week, i'll go in and be like, oh I feel like chest and tri's today, lets do that.. and theres no real structure in what I do, and recently reading about training and how training each body part twice a week has a better tear/repair cycle as you stated and protein synthesis and all of that.
    Does anyone have any tips on how I should select the exercises I do or link me to a good workout routine?
    Going with the instinctive training principle, eh? Been there. Something to be said for it - but, start with a structured "I know I'm gonna hit these bodyparts" - and then let the instinct principle guide you to a specific exercise like "should I do cable presses or skullcrushers?"

Another tip that may help you rotate your exercises so that you're not overtraining on any one day, thus tearing down further than your body can repair before the next workout (that would be bad) - is rotate your workouts by equipment type: Do a Bars only day, a dumbbells only day (or combine them into a freeweight only day), a cables only day, a machines only day (not my fave). This will force you to vary your exercises and you'll do a round robin thing on not only your muscles - but angles and ranges. It's worked for me when I want to shape or increase endurance.

Below: excellent way to exercise on a two way split. Compound lifts are key for getting the most work done in the least time. for example, If you do Bench - then adding overhead press and triceps pressdowns - you've maximized your efficiency in working delts and triceps through the progression and won't need extra tricep sets, as illustrated by Jasonk282:

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    Push/pull will do this as well, especially if you use compound only lifts...
    Cellucor Black Ops

1Cor 6:19-20, 1Cor 10:31, Phil 4:13

wrapping: ProMera PéAK 400 & CON-CRēT (t=155116453)

past logs/reviews:
    P6 is Back in BLACK (t=153328101)
    ErgoShed + ErgoBolic = My Shortcut to Shred Secret (t=153380681)
    Will Anabolic Halo get me into heaven? (a MuscleTech story) (t=151254743)

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Still looking?
    Here's a very reputable upper/lower 4 day a week split: http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/01/ly...lking-routine/