sbctech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder pain with hang clean

I started adding the hang clean to my workout and the first day experienced a sharp pain in my right shoulder. I made sure that I was going light and using proper technique since this was my first time doing it. I was able to finish my working and the pain subsided by the next day. I tried it again a few days ago and experienced a dull pain in my right shoulder. It had been almost a week since the last time I did it so I'm not sure if it was residual pain or if this is just not a good move for me. Does anyone else have shoulder pain with the hang clean?

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Those are tough on the rotator cuffs as I recall, it's a very explosive movement if done correctly. If your not used to them I'd stay light for a while and let your connective tissue and joints get acclimated.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try not to upright row it.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Thanks. I'll give it another go in a couple if days. If the pain persists I may have to drop it.

ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by sbctech View Post
    I started adding the hang clean to my workout and the first day experienced a sharp pain in my right shoulder. I made sure that I was going light and using proper technique since this was my first time doing it. I was able to finish my working and the pain subsided by the next day. I tried it again a few days ago and experienced a dull pain in my right shoulder. It had been almost a week since the last time I did it so I'm not sure if it was residual pain or if this is just not a good move for me. Does anyone else have shoulder pain with the hang clean?
    Powerclean\ hangclean is a very explosive movement. Why are you doing it? Are you training for power or to make your body look good? i have seen some guys who are very strong at the powerclean and they do not always look good. They may not have a "good looking physique" but they are hell strong at the powerclean. 90% of that move is form and technique.

Have injured myself in more than one area doing powercleans/hangcleans. I am a bodybuilder but sometimes i get shizophrenic and train like some kind of wanabe power lifter. i got my power clean up to 265 pounds a couple months ago, on a super human effort I tried to do 265 pounds twice and i felt some thing 'pop' in my right radius at the top of my forearm/elbow on the flip. Scared the sh.t out of me. i dropped the bar and took a good look at my right elbow. it felt funny and i thought for a second i dislocated it. It felt like the radius head popped in and out of place real fast. it was sore for a week and it got better. later on i injured my left shoulder benching heavy. To be honest though I think the damage may have been from power cleans the day before and I just really insulted my shoulder the next day on the bench.

Now i am healing. I am building back from the ground up. I can powerclean hangclean 135 pounds for reps with out shoulder pain and my bench is up to 275 pounds [I was benching 365 for 6 reps 3 months ago before i hurt my shoulder] Life goes on. where there is a will there is a way. In the end you will be just what you want to be.
    Last edited by ichidkiller; 10-15-2012 at 03:09 AM.
    Don't mind the redbars. When you fight with the mods you get the red treatment. Look at my icon. Thats what counts.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you feel pain in your shoulders doing any variation of the clean there is a very good chance somewhere in the movement is flawed technique.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just started doing them last week, felt no discomfort or pain at all, I started very light though as I add weight I will see.
    On the list for Bannukah

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am a founding member of the messed up shoulder club! Yet, I do hang cleans all the time.

As many have mentioned.... Proper form, and build up over time to give you connective tissues a chance to adjust. When I first returned to the gym, I began with 75lbs. Now I am comfortable doing them at bodyweight. Be patient....and lean the form with light weight.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Check out this video, it is about snatching but pertains to the clean as well.

It helped me a lot. Dont be afraid to start lighter and fiddle with your hand placement.

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Those are tough on the rotator cuffs as I recall, it's a very explosive movement if done correctly. If your not used to them I'd stay light for a while and let your connective tissue and joints get acclimated.
    I think you were right. I made the weight light and kept at it and am now pain free. Thanks.