Rolc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Creatine and Heart Palpitations

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to bodybuilding, I've been training pretty hard for about a year, but I'm worried about the supplements that I'm taking. I've been taking creatine, cycling 3 months on, 1 off since January.

In May, I started having intense heart palpitations. Lots of skipped beats. I went to a cardiologist and they monitored my heartbeat overnight. Apparently I had like 500 skipped beats.

Aaaaanyhow, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should cut the creatine. I've been searching alot on the web, and it does seem as though other people are having similar problems. My only question is whether or not it's coincidence.

If creatine is known to cause palpitations, can someone try and explain the science behind it please? No credible source has told me it can cause these issues, so I figured I'd ask those with first hand knowledge.

Thanks!

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have perceived heart dysfunction. Come to bb.com forums for medical advice. Seems legit.

TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rolc View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to bodybuilding, I've been training pretty hard for about a year, but I'm worried about the supplements that I'm taking. I've been taking creatine, cycling 3 months on, 1 off since January.

In May, I started having intense heart palpitations. Lots of skipped beats. I went to a cardiologist and they monitored my heartbeat overnight. Apparently I had like 500 skipped beats.

Aaaaanyhow, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should cut the creatine. I've been searching alot on the web, and it does seem as though other people are having similar problems. My only question is whether or not it's coincidence.

If creatine is known to cause palpitations, can someone try and explain the science behind it please? No credible source has told me it can cause these issues, so I figured I'd ask those with first hand knowledge.

Thanks!
    Sounds like you're having heart issues that are genetic brah. Creatine is found in foods. Heart palpitations normally come from excess amounts of caffeine or drugs if its not genetic....

What other supplements are you taking. It would be a lot easier to tell you what is really going on by knowing what you taking.
    Owner of some cool companies.

- Haters Make Us Famous -
    ***DSC***

Originally Posted by TJB85 View Post
    Sounds like you're having heart issues that are genetic brah. Creatine is found in foods. Heart palpitations normally come from excess amounts of caffeine or drugs if its not genetic....

What other supplements are you taking. It would be a lot easier to tell you what is really going on by knowing what you taking.
    I'm also on ON Whey and ON After Max (also whey based). When I went to the cardiologist he pointed out that I have Mitrovalve Prolapse, but he couldn't pinpoint what aggravated it. I've bee drinking caffeine for a long time, my best guess is that it's supplement related.

Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leafs03 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    stop taking it for few months and see what happens. I doubt its the creatine though...Best advice is go see your family doctor and ask him if you should stop taking it. Coming here on bb.com for serious stuff like this is to risky man. Just check with your doc...Goodluck

jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rolc View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    MVP's are primarily genetically rooted. Save for long-term illnesses that involve a spike in inflammation, exogenous factors causing the issue? Generally unheard of to be frank.

Creatine has no affinity whatsoever for the adrenergic receptors responsible for the contraction and beating of the heart. In truth, by acting as a kinase for adenosine diphosphate, creatine can contribute to ones overall cardiovascular health by providing cardiovascular muscles with the ATP required for its functioning.

Ever thought that you might be a hypochondriac? Would look into beta-blockers.
    Last edited by jaimeruiz99; 10-11-2012 at 12:06 PM.

stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stOpSKY has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jaimeruiz99 View Post
    MVP's are primarily genetically rooted. Save for long-term illnesses that involve a spike in inflammation, exogenous factors causing the issue? Generally unheard of to be frank.

Creatine has no affinity whatsoever for the adrenergic receptors responsible for the contraction and beating of the heart. In truth, by acting as a kinase for adenosine diphosphate, creatine can contribute to ones overall cardiovascular health by providing cardiovascular muscles with the ATP required for its functioning.

So you tell him to look into beta blockers without even knowing his medical history or condition, as well as not being a medical professional. That sounds smart.

PS Creatine has no effect on adrenergic receptors but can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalanced which in turn can lead to an increased frequency in 'missed beats' or heart palpitations. This can be worsened if the OP is taking any caffeine containing products.

Your best decision is to take the advice of your Dr and do your own research from reputable sources OP.
    GL.

Originally Posted by jaimeruiz99 View Post

Just what I was looking for: Science. Thanks a lot. to be safe, I'll check with my doctor one more time. But this makes sense.

Originally Posted by stOpSKY View Post
    So you tell him to look into beta blockers without even knowing his medical history or condition, as well as not being a medical professional. That sounds smart.

PS Creatine has no effect on adrenergic receptors but can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalanced which in turn can lead to an increased frequency in 'missed beats' or heart palpitations. This can be worsened if the OP is taking any caffeine containing products.

Your best decision is to take the advice of your Dr and do your own research from reputable sources OP.
    GL.
    This also makes sense. My most recent episode happened after consumption of a higher dose of caffeine than I'm usually used to. I have a feeling I may have been dehydrated as well, and my physician did say dehydration is a great catalyst for palpitations.

As stated above, I'll check with my doctor again to be safe. Thanks for the input. I knew there may have been some link between my supplements and my abnormal beats, I just couldn't piece together where.

jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jaimeruiz99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stOpSKY View Post

GL.
    I told him to look into beta blockers in conjunction with the supervision of a doctor primarily because the bulk of his symptoms seem to point towards this issue.

Beta Blockers also block the fight/flight response predicated by norepinepherine receptor agonism as induced by anxiety. They are also used to manage cardiovascular symptoms linked to sympathomimetic CNS activation.

Everything after the adrenergic receptor bit is nothing but crock by the way. You mind positing a possible MOA that can link the so-called 'creatine-dehydration induced' issues with that of heart rhythm disorders?

Or perhaps you didn't read the part where the OP mentions his morphological cardiovascular disorder? As diagnosed by a professional?

johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000)
    I’ve read in some medical article somewhere that there has actually been studies with creatine and heart failure patients. If I remember right the studies where done giving creatine supplementation to help fight off heart failure in at risk patients.

I currently take creatine and haft to have my heart monitored because the chemotherapy I’m currently on can cause heart problems and cause the heart to palpitate. So far I’m having no problems. I think its something else that’s effecting your heart rhythm.
    -Currently Fighting Bone Cancer-

Originally Posted by johnsdar View Post
    I’ve read in some medical article somewhere that there has actually been studies with creatine and heart failure patients. If I remember right the studies where done giving creatine supplementation to help fight off heart failure in at risk patients.

I currently take creatine and haft to have my heart monitored because the chemotherapy I’m currently on can cause heart problems and cause the heart to palpitate. So far I’m having no problems. I think its something else that’s effecting your heart rhythm.
    Precisely my point.