Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exercises for wide lats?

I am currently doing 2 exercises to target my lats. Pullups and lat pull downs. I only started doing these 2 weeks ago and am progressing well..

What I would like to know is. In your opinion, what are the best exercises for wide lats? Have they given you good results?

I am doing dumbbell rows and dead lifts as well, but I don't think they directly attribute to wide lats.

I would offer to rep, but my rep power is weak :P
    We freaks baby.

VGang.

No sleep crew
    3 pillows crew
    No pants crew
    Full gym attire at all times crew.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Heavy barbell rows and/or T-bar rows. Also weighted chins.

But add those, if you like, rather than exchanging, is my advice.

bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bearsfan91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I found when I did really exaggerated wide grip pull-ups my lats began to progress in size and strength.

Also, T-bar rows (with good form) is another exercise you can incorporate.

Good luck!

Wuclaner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bearsfan91 View Post
    I found when I did really exaggerated wide grip pull-ups my lats began to progress in size and strength.

Also, T-bar rows (with good form) is another exercise you can incorporate.

Good luck!
    What about some dumbbell rows?

Also a bears fan.. And also have a collie, your the ****.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If I had to pinpoint one move, doing 1 Arm DB Rows consistently has done the most for my lat development.

Pulldowns and Chinups have also done a lot for my lats.

The Nautilus Pullover machine is very good as well if you have access to one. When I'm at the gym, I start and end my back days with this machine.

JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    T-rows, close grip style.
    Aesthetic Nutsack Crew
    Plays with balls as I MISC Crew
    No underwear Crew
    Raw dog Crew

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wide-Grip are pretty much my go-to for emphasized lat development.

thereau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heavy ass deadlifts... try a wider grip. Worked/works/will always work for me

nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100) nptifitness is not very well liked. (-100)
    Pull-ups use your body weight to work your lats as well as the muscles of your middle back and your biceps.
    The lateral pull-down machine mimics the motion of a pull-up, while allowing you to select the resistance
    NPTI Fitness (http://nptifitness.com)

Personal Trainer Certification

Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitchem will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wide Grip Pull-ups. Try alternating between to front and behind head. I found when I brought the bar to the back of my neck, I felt a much greater stretch in my lats.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    okay, right away, everyone has their favorite movement that they suggest, however, you must read on OP's post like this, more closely, for example:

I only started doing these 2 weeks ago
    .........I am doing dumbbell rows and dead lifts as well, but I don't think they directly attribute to wide lats.

2 weeks ago? and we are going to suggest something different for him to do? on what basis can we assess what will or won't work on 2 weeks of workouts??

and the second part of the statement, shows that not only does he have a hazy idea of what the lats do or don't do, but he is NOT just doing 2 exercises, as he said, he is doing 4 exercises....

with all this in mind, the OP needs much more time to evaluate....and wide lats are not grown in 2 weeks.....try 2 years.....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Juicetin View Post
    I am currently doing 2 exercises to target my lats. Pullups and lat pull downs. I only started doing these 2 weeks ago and am progressing well..

What I would like to know is. In your opinion, what are the best exercises for wide lats? Have they given you good results?

I am doing dumbbell rows and dead lifts as well, but I don't think they directly attribute to wide lats.

I would offer to rep, but my rep power is weak :P
    Personally I would stick with what you're doing now. As long as your grip on lat pull downs is a bit more than shoulder-width apart you're pretty much good to go. I wouldn't start changing up your routine until about six weeks in.

Anything else besides T-Bar rows, lat pull-downs, or pull-ups will work on more of the thickness with your lats. Also, if you watch Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer, he advises that stretching or posing the muscle after each set will actually help promote growth. Maybe give that a shot?

BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10) BLA5PHEMY is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lowering the weight on my back exercises and really focusing on the mind muscle connection has really helped my lat develop. A controlled explosive pull with a good contraction at the end with a pause and hold for a second then a slow controlled negative.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here's how I do my DB rows. This vid helped me a ton.

Personally I prefer DBs over BB or T-bar for lats. With the DBs for me, I get a better stretch and can feel the contraction in each lat. Try different things and let your experience be your guide however. Good luck.

StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StayShredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anything wide grip. Lat-pulldown, pull ups, t-bar row. They will help with width while exercises like dumbbell row, v bar pulldown, etc. will help with back thickness.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    2 weeks ago? and we are going to suggest something different for him to do? on what basis can we assess what will or won't work on 2 weeks of workouts??
    well at least he didnt say he hit a plateau

Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank for the replies all.

So from what I gather... It would be good to also add T-bar rows?

I am doing dumbell rows currently but I read somewhere they help with the thickness and inner back rather than the width? Maybe that was just broscience.

Will definitely add the T-bar rows and focus on the width of pullups and pulldowns!
    We freaks baby.

VGang.

No sleep crew
    3 pillows crew
    No pants crew
    Full gym attire at all times crew.

Thank for the replies all.

So from what I gather... It would be good to also add T-bar rows?

I am doing dumbell rows currently but I read somewhere they help with the thickness and inner back rather than the width? Maybe that was just broscience.

Will definitely add the T-bar rows and focus on the width of pullups and pulldowns!
    There are 2 main ways to do DB rows......

If you pull the DB up and back at an angle (like the vid above) you can emphasize the lats with them. -you focus on contracting with the lats. You can actually stretch each lat on the eccentric phase when letting the DB down.

If you pull the DB straight up (like the vid below) you can pull emphasizing the mid-back/lower traps with them. -you focus on contracting with the muscles between you shoulder blades. The lats will remain more static instead of the deep stretch on the eccentric. There will some lat involvement, however.

DB row for Mid-back (thickness) example:

Just to keep it as simple as possible, if your lats grow your back will look wider (and somewhat thicker), if your mid-lower traps,erectors, etc, grow your back will have a thicker look to it. But mass is still mass.

If you are doing deadlifts, I'd suggest you pick one exercises and/or variation that target each sub-muscle group. If you are not doing deadlifts in your routine you may want to pick 2. Either way, perfect your form for the moves, progress, and you should make muscular gains.
    Last edited by k9pit; 10-11-2012 at 04:55 PM.