theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Increase Pull Ups!

Hey everyone

I wanted to increase the number of pull ups I could do.
    Atm, I am doing jump pull ups 5x4 last time.
    However, I did 4 sets this time, and on the 5th set I tried something else.
    I did 1 jump pull up every 15 sec, so I did 8 on the last one. I was thinking whether this method would be better to get more volume instead of doing 4-5 sets, and slowly increasing the pull ups on those.
    Which way do you think would be better? Or is there any other method I could use to increase pull ups?

JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Personally for me, I increased my pull-up repetitions by doing lat pull-downs. As long as you can perform equal to or more than your body weight in lat pull downs you're pretty much set to go. However make sure you change up the type of bar that you use on these pull-downs as to strengthen different sections of your back that you would normally use for pull-ups.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice! Always push yourself on each set, the more you push, the more your muscles will adapt to compensate for the increased stress that you are putting on that particular muscle. Just be cautious that you are utilizing correct form so you can prevent injury.

Hope this helps!

theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theking1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by JoeTommy View Post
    Personally for me, I increased my pull-up repetitions by doing lat pull-downs. As long as you can perform equal to or more than your body weight in lat pull downs you're pretty much set to go. However make sure you change up the type of bar that you use on these pull-downs as to strengthen different sections of your back that you would normally use for pull-ups.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice! Always push yourself on each set, the more you push, the more your muscles will adapt to compensate for the increased stress that you are putting on that particular muscle. Just be cautious that you are utilizing correct form so you can prevent injury.

Hope this helps!

I am trying to avoid lat pulldowns and am just focusing on pull ups, as im trying to do as many free weight exercises i can. And I also don't do ab workouts, so pull ups also help me train my core.
    Thanks for your help anyways Much appreciated!

Or is there any other progression scheme you'd recommend me?

I can do about 3 chin ups, and nearly 2 pull ups.

pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by theking1994 View Post
    I am trying to avoid lat pulldowns and am just focusing on pull ups, as im trying to do as many free weight exercises i can. And I also don't do ab workouts, so pull ups also help me train my core.
    Thanks for your help anyways Much appreciated!
    You think you only need to do freeweight exercises? You're wrong my man, if you REALLY want to increase your reps in pull ups (not necessarily from dead hangs) you should REALLY incorporate the lat pulldown into your workout routine if this equipment is readily available to you. Doing negative pull ups can help you, but if you really want to start repping those pull ups and see increases in number, you need to incorporate those lat pulldown into your workout.

Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
    You think you only need to do freeweight exercises? You're wrong my man, if you REALLY want to increase your reps in pull ups (not necessarily from dead hangs) you should REALLY incorporate the lat pulldown into your workout routine if this equipment is readily available to you. Doing negative pull ups can help you, but if you really want to start repping those pull ups and see increases in number, you need to incorporate those lat pulldown into your workout.
    i used to do lat pulldowns before but atm im doing an upper lower split. Hence, I only do 1 vertical pull movement per upper day, so don't see the need to remove pull ups in place of lat pulldowns. Unlike the usual back-bi split, where there are 2 vertical pulls. That's why I am not focusing on the lat pulldowns atm. Thanks for your help anyways
    What progression scheme would you recommend for someone who can do 2 pull ups? using pullups?

JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you honestly want to stay away from lat pulldowns, then I would just focus on pushing yourself on your pull-ups. The more you push, the more your muscles will adapt and compensate so you can perform more repetitions in the end.

edit: Remember this as well, you incorporate biceps in your pull-up, doing hammer curls and standard curls is also a good weigh to stregthen the support muscles used for pull-ups.
    Last edited by JoeTommy; 10-10-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: additional info

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by theking1994 View Post
    i used to do lat pulldowns before but atm im doing an upper lower split. Hence, I only do 1 vertical pull movement per upper day, so don't see the need to remove pull ups in place of lat pulldowns. Unlike the usual back-bi split, where there are 2 vertical pulls. That's why I am not focusing on the lat pulldowns atm. Thanks for your help anyways
    What progression scheme would you recommend for someone who can do 2 pull ups? using pullups?
    do a few 1 rep sets,if you want to get better at pullups.as soon as that becomes easy increase to 2 reps,etc,etc.better to invest the time in pullups if you want to increase your reps, then to add lat pulldowns and other things.
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart
    i said all the words,mostly.
    member of the crew member crew.

isavukmaas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hope this helps!
    This...pull down though try going wide I saw better results with this then superset with the V bad

vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000) vollric is just really nice. (+1000)
    Negatives, start at the top position and slowly lower yourself down fighting the resistance. Do a set or 2 of these after your working sets to help stimulate hypertrophy.
    “Man – He sacrifices his health in order to make money.
    Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
    And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
    the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
    he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
    -Dalai-

E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) E_P_C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Based on what?

To get better at pull ups, do pull ups

/thread
    |~| EXTREME PULL UPS CREW |~|

Originally Posted by vollric View Post
    Negatives, start at the top position and slowly lower yourself down fighting the resistance. Do a set or 2 of these after your working sets to help stimulate hypertrophy.
    This is another great method

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by E_P_C View Post
    Based on what?

/thread
    exactly
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart

pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by E_P_C View Post
    Based on what?

/thread
    Yeah yeah, I've heard this over and over again. Unfortunately, it's getting old hearing that you should ONLY do pull ups to INCREASE pull up reps.

Originally Posted by tomsfish View Post
    do a few 1 rep sets,if you want to get better at pullups.as soon as that becomes easy increase to 2 reps,etc,etc.better to invest the time in pullups if you want to increase your reps, then to add lat pulldowns and other things.
    It's going to be MONTHS if he does 1 rep sets, increase 2, then 3, 4, 5, 6, and by that time, guess what? He'll probably quit due to the lack of motivation he is getting from pull ups.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah yeah, I've heard this over and over again. Unfortunately, it's getting old hearing that you should ONLY do pull ups to INCREASE pull up reps.
    It's true. How do you get better at squats, bench, deadlifts? You go squat, bench and deadlift, you add frequency to help develop neural sufficiency with the movement pattern. With that said I would increase the frequency of your pull ups. I would recommend doing them maybe twice a week. Have a rep goal in mind. Start with 3 sets of 4-5 reps. Once you reach that increase the reps to 6, so on and so forth.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000) StelioK is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is what worked for me.

For starters, I did them twice per week, sometimes 3. When I started, I could barely do 7 in the first try, 5 in the second, and three or two in the last two. What I did, is set a goal, 40 pull ups, with the goal of being able to do 5 sets of 8. And with that goal in mind, I did whatever number of sets I required til get my 40 pull ups, even if I have to do sets of 1. 3 months later, my max had increased to 15 reps, doing the following four sets 12-10-8-7.

It migh be a bit frustrating, because you will spend a lot of time doing them, and you will feel week when you have to start doing them one by one with cheating, but in the end you will become better and better.

batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do 5 sets of 8.

Start with as many regular pull ups as possible then jump up and do a really slow negative for each remaining rep.

Do this a few times a week.

In a few weeks your pull ups will have increased.

Edit: If you have time your method works too. As long as you increasing weekly volume.
    -Having a big tool box is great but it means nothing if you lack a set of standard screwdrivers and a hammer.
    -The Pareto principle: 80% of the effects are from 20% of causes. All the other small details will only affect a small portion of results, 80% of causes will contribute to 20% of the effects.

RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&pagenumber=

It's going to be MONTHS if he does 1 rep sets, increase 2, then 3, 4, 5, 6, and by that time, guess what? He'll probably quit due to the lack of motivation he is getting from pull ups.
    it didnt take me months to go from 1 to 10 rep sets.of course i didnt waste time doing arm curls or lat pull downs either.i can still remember doing 1 or 2 rep sets,it wasnt that long ago.im up to over 20 reps in some sets now,and i didnt get there doing arm curls.
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart

Originally Posted by Anthony21 View Post
    It's true. How do you get better at squats, bench, deadlifts? You go squat, bench and deadlift, you add frequency to help develop neural sufficiency with the movement pattern. With that said I would increase the frequency of your pull ups. I would recommend doing them maybe twice a week. Have a rep goal in mind. Start with 3 sets of 4-5 reps. Once you reach that increase the reps to 6, so on and so forth.
    I understand what you're trying to say here. However, squatting, benching, and deadlifts is different from doing actual pull ups. Increasing weights in squatting, benching, and deadlifts can be easy because some goes by feel and if they see that they're able to do that repetition, they just throw on more weight.

However, I see that if you can start repping pull ups, that means your upper body is gaining strength (taking into consideration that you're working out all your upper body and not skipping anything).

All I'm saying is that the OP should just include lat pulldowns to HELP build up the lat strength in order to start repping the pull ups. From there, it is his choice whether or not to take lat pulldowns out or include it into his routine.

But like I said, if he wants to do negatives, by all means, go for it. You have to start somewhere at least.

Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Hope this helps!
    This.

I do a set of pullups and then a set of lat pulldowns at a weight where i can achieve beweent 7 - 10 reps.

Last week I could only do 5 pullups, this week I managed 7.

Definitely just push yourself and you will get there!
    We freaks baby.

VGang.

No sleep crew
    3 pillows crew
    No pants crew
    Full gym attire at all times crew.