Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IvyKun View Post
    Uhm, I am doing All pro beginners routine (just started 1 month and a half ago). The fat gaining its weird because my weight stays the same :S (maybe its just psychological)

I am going increasing the calories a little bit (2500) and see how it goes. Thanks
    You are doing a proven mass building program (I am familiar with it) but not gaining weight and think you are gaining fat? It is absolutely in your head then. Bump your calories a little, you should be gaining weight slowly.

IvyKun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah that's what I am going to do, thanks

copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) copypast0r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by IvyKun View Post
    Uhm, I am doing All pro beginners routine (just started 1 month and a half ago). The fat gaining its weird because my weight stays the same :S (maybe its just psychological)

I am going increasing the calories a little bit (2500) and see how it goes. Thanks
    The same happened to me when I bulked.. the weight wasn't moving but fat in my core are was increasing :/
    "God gave you the shoes to fit you, so put 'em on and wear 'em"

++ Positive Crew ++
    *Colombian Misc Crew*
    52 books in 52 weeks crew
    MISC Approaches/Pick-Up Crew (Beginner)

antonio1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hello can some1 explain this?i dont understand anything...

cd1guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cd1guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you so much for the video. This is actually the reason why I came on today was to ask about this very subject! You did an awesome job providing info on the subject but its a bit overwhelming for me since I know nothing about weight training or gaining weight in general. I guess I'm what you would call a hard gainer because I never weighed over 150lb and I'm 6'1 =/ . 150 seems to be my limit no matter how much I eat. I got laid off three months ago and decided I'd use this extra time off to try and put some weight on while I'm looking for a job. My diet pretty much consists of eggs, meat (red / chicken), pasta, grains (cereal, bread), tuna and rice. I've been staying away from junk food and have been substituting a lot of my drinks with plain old water. I haven't been calculating my intake numbers but I still can't seem to get over 150 even after eating more. I do notice that I have a growing belly but the rest of my body seems to stay the same. My shape is like roger from american dad lol. I haven't checked out your other videos that you linked in the video so I'm sorry if what I've talked about is already covered. If I'm not working out but I'm trying to gain weight, will my gains stay around my waist area or will it eventually distribute itself around other parts of the body? I'm at the point where I just want to look 'healthy' and not like I've been deprived of food my whole life. Maybe my priorities are wrong and I need to incorporate some type of workout plan? I'm sure you talked about this in the video and I'll have to watch it again when I get home. Hopefully some of what I said makes sense. I look forward to reading more from you!

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cd1guy View Post
    Thank you so much for the video. This is actually the reason why I came on today was to ask about this very subject! You did an awesome job providing info on the subject but its a bit overwhelming for me since I know nothing about weight training or gaining weight in general. I guess I'm what you would call a hard gainer because I never weighed over 150lb and I'm 6'1 =/ . 150 seems to be my limit no matter how much I eat. I got laid off three months ago and decided I'd use this extra time off to try and put some weight on while I'm looking for a job. My diet pretty much consists of eggs, meat (red / chicken), pasta, grains (cereal, bread), tuna and rice. I've been staying away from junk food and have been substituting a lot of my drinks with plain old water. I haven't been calculating my intake numbers but I still can't seem to get over 150 even after eating more. I do notice that I have a growing belly but the rest of my body seems to stay the same. My shape is like roger from american dad lol. I haven't checked out your other videos that you linked in the video so I'm sorry if what I've talked about is already covered. If I'm not working out but I'm trying to gain weight, will my gains stay around my waist area or will it eventually distribute itself around other parts of the body? I'm at the point where I just want to look 'healthy' and not like I've been deprived of food my whole life. Maybe my priorities are wrong and I need to incorporate some type of workout plan? I'm sure you talked about this in the video and I'll have to watch it again when I get home. Hopefully some of what I said makes sense. I look forward to reading more from you!
    You are welcome, a couple points after looking over your post:

If you are not lifting weights almost all of the weight you gain will be fat. So yes you need to have a training program. Actually I have around 80 videos up on nutrition and training if you want to scan through them. I eat "junk food" when cutting/losing fat myself btw.

TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000) TacticalTaco is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Leangains is what I've been using to bat away any fat gains during a clean bulk. Then of course delay protein intake to 45 mins post workout, carb an hour after that.

LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LD21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 6'0 and currently 168 lbs at 38% Bf, I started working out a couple years ago at 140 lbs and I've been on and off. I have a large gut and I've been trying to lose for a while. The only thing I've noticed from being heavier is the bigger arms(fatceps), but it is not worth the large stomach which can make it hard to breathe EVEN for a skinny person for me. After watching the video, I've come up with the game plan to take my high bodyfat from 38% to the low 10% in the next few months eating 1500-2000 calories. Once I reach 10%, I go on a clean bulk eating a slight surplus eating around 2200-2500 calories for the next few months and cut again having my body look proportionate.

Originally Posted by LD21 View Post
    I'm 6'0 and currently 168 lbs at 38% Bf, I started working out a couple years ago at 140 lbs and I've been on and off. I have a large gut and I've been trying to lose for a while. The only thing I've noticed from being heavier is the bigger arms(fatceps), but it is not worth the large stomach which can make it hard to breathe EVEN for a skinny person for me. After watching the video, I've come up with the game plan to take my high bodyfat from 38% to the low 10% in the next few months eating 1500-2000 calories. Once I reach 10%, I go on a clean bulk eating a slight surplus eating around 2200-2500 calories for the next few months and cut again having my body look proportionate.
    Sounds like a plan. In your case being 38% body fat a cut first is the wiser move. Not just for aesthetics but for your overall health as well.

cd1guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cd1guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    You are welcome, a couple points after looking over your post:

If you are not lifting weights almost all of the weight you gain will be fat. So yes you need to have a training program. Actually I have around 80 videos up on nutrition and training if you want to scan through them. I eat "junk food" when cutting/losing fat myself btw.
    Thanks. I just subscribed so I'll definitely be checking them out. I'm a little slow so please bear with me lol. I understand the concept of it being easier to chisel a boulder than it is a pebble but how would I gain size in the arms and legs (or anywhere for that matter) if the boulder is in my gut =S

Originally Posted by cd1guy View Post
    Thanks. I just subscribed so I'll definitely be checking them out. I'm a little slow so please bear with me lol. I understand the concept of it being easier to chisel a boulder than it is a pebble but how would I gain size in the arms and legs (or anywhere for that matter) if the boulder is in my gut =S
    You are new enough to training and with a high enough level of body fat that if you were on a proper progressive overload routine you will gain muscle in your arms and legs even while losing fat... as long as you are also meeting nutritional needs and not losing fat too quickly. However without this you can't as you have no real means to force your muscles to grow.

Great to know. Thanks!

WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by LD21 View Post
    by your calculations your 168 at 6"0 with just over 100 ibs of LBM. dafuq that even possible? pics?

gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WunSen View Post
    by your calculations your 168 at 6"0 with just over 100 ibs of LBM. dafuq that even possible? pics?
    Yeah... unless the poster is female that has got to be a typo.

Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imonlydancing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Interesting topic

At times I would actually consider myself skinny fat..but being on the skinny side I find that I could build muscle pretty quickly (when i am motivated for long enough :P)...and by that i mean get defined quickly (not sure if those are the same things).

Unfortunately and depressingly my stomach is actually the place i put wait on to first. And it really bothers me a lot, I don't know..I need to check with my doctor when i have time because I think certain food sugar/dairy products instantly bloat me.

I need a good routine for my stomach, any tips?

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
    Leangains is what I've been using to bat away any fat gains during a clean bulk. Then of course delay protein intake to 45 mins post workout, carb an hour after that.
    you have A LOT to learn my friend
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: LDN, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    anakins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just as men are told to cut to 10% bf, is that likewise advisable for women too (eg, from 25% go down to 17% or whatever the appropriate figure may be)? Or given how women aren't able to grow as much/fast, should they just go straight into a bulk unless overweight (30/35%+)?

Originally Posted by anakins View Post
    Just as men are told to cut to 10% bf, is that likewise advisable for women too (eg, from 25% go down to 17% or whatever the appropriate figure may be)? Or given how women aren't able to grow as much/fast, should they just go straight into a bulk unless overweight (30/35%+)?
    It is important to keep in mind that women going under 20% body fat can have stronger hormonal side effects than men being at 10%.

RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedAt8k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This confirmed A LOT of the things I have been doing wrong and I will be referring back to this over the next few weeks Thank you JasonDB!

For all those starting threads "Halp I'm skinny-fat should I bulk or cut?"

My detailed explanation why you should clean bulk.

Ronbo23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulky-fat help

Would love some input... I am 6' 245#. I am down from 274# 6 months ago. I did 4 months of biking (5days a week) then started a m-w-f weight program, where I incorporate cardio most workout days and on my 2non workout days.
    I have pretty good muscle density ( certainly not skinny-fat)
    I have been taking in 150-200g of protein on WO days, slightly less on non. Mainly whey powder, dairy, and bars. I eat a good diet of non processed foods and minimal refined carbs.
    Anyway, my "re-integration" routine is compound/full body and I hit it pretty hard. My question is whether or not you think I would benefit from cutting down
    Before I add the little bit of addition muscle mass that I want to achieve?

alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey jason thanks for your videos

hope you don't mind but i'm another one of those "don't-know-if-i'm-skinny-fat" asking for your take

stats are manlet at 5'5, 145lbs. hard to describe my body, but i do have muscle and am generally "fit" (not in the shredded sense of the word lol. been working out for a looong time, but a lot of that has been undedicated and unfocused and only recently have i been paying attention to nutrition). basically no striations on the abs except when there's good lighting, and even then i really have to flex hard. then again i definitely don't live a sedentary lifestyle, i work out and do sports occasionally and these have been regular things especially the past few months. basically my lifestyle now is such that i sit around all day except for that 1-2hour intense (HIIT and lifting heavy make sure of that) workout

hope this is enough info. maybe i can pm you some bodyshots ??
    Last edited by alejandroPH; 11-27-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Originally Posted by Ronbo23 View Post
    Would love some input... I am 6' 245#. I am down from 274# 6 months ago. I did 4 months of biking (5days a week) then started a m-w-f weight program, where I incorporate cardio most workout days and on my 2non workout days.
    I have pretty good muscle density ( certainly not skinny-fat)
    I have been taking in 150-200g of protein on WO days, slightly less on non. Mainly whey powder, dairy, and bars. I eat a good diet of non processed foods and minimal refined carbs.
    Anyway, my "re-integration" routine is compound/full body and I hit it pretty hard. My question is whether or not you think I would benefit from cutting down
    Before I add the little bit of addition muscle mass that I want to achieve?
    As far as if you want to cut before trying to add more size, it depends on both your long and short term goals and how much body fat you have now.

Originally Posted by alejandroPH View Post
    hey jason thanks for your videos

hope you don't mind but i'm another one of those "don't-know-if-i'm-skinny-fat" asking for your take

stats are manlet at 5'5, 145lbs. hard to describe my body, but i do have muscle and am generally "fit" (not in the shredded sense of the word lol. been working out for a looong time, but a lot of that has been undedicated and unfocused and only recently have i been paying attention to nutrition). basically no striations on the abs except when there's good lighting, and even then i really have to flex hard. then again i definitely don't live a sedentary lifestyle, i work out and do sports occasionally and these have been regular things especially the past few months. basically my lifestyle now is such that i sit around all day except for that 1-2hour intense (HIIT makes sure of that) workout

hope this is enough info. maybe i can pm you some bodyshots ??
    You do not sound like a true skinn-fat from what I am reading.

If you already workout and are fairly lean but still at a lighter body weight you would want to consider clean bulking also unless you are happy with the amount of muscle mass you have for now.

piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piman311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the video. I seem to fit your definition of skinny fat (155 lbs at 5'8" and seem to be holding a lot of fat in my core). Even though I feel like I should be cutting, I think since I have very little muscle mass that I should follow your advice. I've never done a clean bulk before. How should I monitor my gains? I'd like to minimize my fat gains since I think I am around 18%. Is it advisable to try a clean bulk for 4-5 months and then cut for summer? Or will I need to bulk for a lot longer before trying to get a lean, athletic build?

Thank you for putting this together!

templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does this qualify me as a skinny fat? http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149939813 ....and if so , cut or bulk?

Originally Posted by templarpsi View Post
    Does this qualify me as a skinny fat? http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149939813 ....and if so , cut or bulk?
    Reverse diet then clean bulk.

templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Reverse diet then clean bulk.
    hah im partially new to some of these terms, reverse diet?

hah im partially new to some of these terms, reverse diet?
    I'll do a video on that this evening... too many people don't understand it, even though it is pretty standard bodybuilding stuff, and I've had about 20 requests to make one.

I'll do a video on that this evening... too many people don't understand it, even though it is pretty standard bodybuilding stuff, and I've had about 20 requests to make one.
    sounds good, i just needed to know ur opinion from the previous link i posted, im pretty convinced me losing anymore weight would just look too skinny and a gut still. i was told to eat maintence for a few months and lift hard and after that eventually increase my calorie intake to a surplus.

sounds good, i just needed to know ur opinion from the previous link i posted, im pretty convinced me losing anymore weight would just look too skinny and a gut still. i was told to eat maintence for a few months and lift hard and after that eventually increase my calorie intake to a surplus.
    After a long hard cut if you go straight to what should be your maintence you will gain fat. Reverse dieting is a process of slooooowly raising calories every week to repair metabolic and hormone problems that usually occur with a long or a hard cut without gaining fat.

After a long hard cut if you go straight to what should be your maintence you will gain fat. Reverse dieting is a process of slooooowly raising calories every week to repair metabolic and hormone problems that usually occur with a long or a hard cut without gaining fat.
    makes a lot of sense, so usually u wanna increase 100-200 cals a week until maintence right? that would sound logical, i admit i have been eating as low as 1300 cals to 1500, but mainly eating 1500 cals consistenly.