BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BattlingIyan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Is it necessary to have a solid base before starting MMA?

I always hear people say that before you jump into training MMA and multiple disciplines, you should first start off by training in just one (one striking or grappling art).

I don't know how MMA-focused gyms are run but I think it would be fine to jump right in, maybe even better. I assume that the striking and grappling that they work is tailor-made for MMA like they train striking with the assumption of takedowns. So rather than training in an art where some of its tactics are not really suitable to MMA (ex. boxing and bobbing/weaving), you're already training specifically for it.

If that's not how trainers train their fighters then one day, I think it would be best if it evolved to be that way. There would be no "Muay Thai" or "BJJ" classes. Just striking and grappling.

Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000) Phal4nx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rory McDonald is proof you don't need a traditional base martial art
    ** Game of Thrones crew **
    ** Joe Rogan Experience **

High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Phal4nx View Post
    Just wrestled with him a few days ago, really nice fellow...kind of a nerd though
    ''The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights.'' - Muhammad Ali

“Cus was a strong believer that in your mind you had to be the entity you wanted to be. If you wanted to be heavyweight champion of the world, you had to start living the life of a heavyweight champion…- iron mike

"'No' doesn't mean no, 'no' means work on the neck, the nipples, try back in five minutes" - a wise man

Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dont listen to half of this guys on here most have no experience....

but you have to know that theres more then one way around it, theres guys that train 3 arts from day one.... thats their base, others start doing bjj then get into boxing too, so bjj would be their base, base dosent mean much, just means out of all the arts you have train one the longest, but you dont have to if you wanna start do it, naturally you will develop what works better and you enjoy better, that will be your base but dosent take away to training others.

my base would be bjj i guess but i trained muay thai for just as long, only difference is, there are alot more ways to compete in grappling then in striking, so i do a ton of tournaments and in the big ones i compete in 3 divisions, doing just as good in muay thai and mma divisions as bjj.

moral of the story just start training you will find your base anyways no matter what, you could start doing boxing but then fall in love with bjj
    ADMA Muay Thai gym.

SQUAT(ATG)- 275 (x15)
    DEADLIFT- 445 (x 6 W/CHALK)
    PRESS- 195 (3x5)
    DIPS- bw+55lbs-----3x8
    PULLUPS- bw+70lbs-3x8- MAX 110lbs added so around 305 total weight.

-STOP BEING A "FRIEND" AND FINISH THE DEAL.
    betheseducer.com {meet women,attract women,seduce women}

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    dont listen to half of this guys on here most have no experience....
    Actually there are a number of members in here who have experience.

Also, the way I'm understanding the question the OP was wondering if it was necessary to have a history with a specific MA (or base) before training MMA. The answer to that would be, no. I've known many people who just jumped into training in a "MMA" Class then went on to studying with more specialized schools.

Unless you have someone who comes from a background in a TMA, highschool/college wrestling or boxing background, I personally don't consider what you've become more proficient at your "base" if you've been training several MAs equally as long.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Registered User Championjujitsu's Avatar
    Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Championjujitsu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Unless you wanna get taken down and wrestle ****ed or submitted, or outstruck, start training something serious

Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Actually there are a number of members in here who have experience.

yeah true dont wanna offend those who compete and train, but when i hear people say that you dont need a base art to fight in mma because of rory it throws me off, the dude trains bjj.wrestling,boxing and muay thai at equal levels from day one so his base is mma, the term is very subjective
    ADMA Muay Thai gym.

SQUAT(ATG)- 275 (x15)
    DEADLIFT- 445 (x 6 W/CHALK)
    PRESS- 195 (3x5)
    DIPS- bw+55lbs-----3x8
    PULLUPS- bw+70lbs-3x8- MAX 110lbs added so around 305 total weight.

-STOP BEING A "FRIEND" AND FINISH THE DEAL.
    betheseducer.com {meet women,attract women,seduce women}

DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Like the Rory example, if you're athletic then you'll succeed, you just need a lot of time and the right teaching. I would recommend wrestling for anybody's base though. You can start young, it's available at the scholastic level in most places, teaches great work ethic, will give you great grappling strength, and hopefully a mind that absorbs techniques quickly. If you've been successful in any sport before (combative or not) chances are you have a physical or mental advantage that can be applied to mma, so I would say that's an important base in general. One type of person that never really works out is the unathletic guy who has never played sports and just started mma in his mid-twenties+, these are the guys that populate the beginner streams in gyms everywhere.

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution GhostZ28's Avatar
    GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000) GhostZ28 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The short answer to what you're asking is no.
    No av LEO crew
    19K - Rip Sgt Sacco, SSG Rentschler
    ☆ pUniCepts Appreciation Crew ☆ Member ☆

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rich Franklin, too.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100) DESTROYERARGH is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Championjujitsu View Post
    Unless you wanna get taken down and wrestle ****ed or submitted, or outstruck, start training something serious
    Guessin' from the username this guy is obviously a Champion in Jujitsu. Is that by any chance Jiu Jitsu? And by champion are you just a ****ing lying loser? Get ****ed crank ****!