Hutter21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hutter21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hutter21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many reps for size? Strength?

I wanna get big fast, how many reps should I be doing to do that? I also kinda want to be strong too..And I consist of a push pull legs workout plan..(day 1 triceps shoulders chest, day 2 back and biceps, day 3 legs and abs)..

tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunagainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    8-12 reps is a good rep range for building muscle. For strength you'd do less reps more weight.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html

But really, the jury's out - differences of opinion are everywhere. You have to find what works for you. Trial and error.

Luckily, no matter what rep range you're working in (within reason), you'll be getting both stronger and bigger anyway. It's a matter of degrees, not binary.

My own preference - what I've found works best *for me* - is a mix of rep ranges. Some sets in the 3-5 range, and some at anywhere from 8-20 or more. For a beginner's program, you could do some at around 5, and some at 8-10 or possibly 8-12, and get good results, I reckon.

edit: The classic arrangement is your big compounds (e.g., back squats, flat barbell bench, etc.) at a lower rep range, like 5 or so, followed by smaller lifts (e.g., hamstring curls, tricep extensions, etc.) at a higher rep range, like in the 8-12 area.
    Last edited by MichaelCJ; 10-01-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000) Bert1234 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tunagainz View Post
    8-12 reps is a good rep range for building muscle. For strength you'd do less reps more weight.
    This.

Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aesthetica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do around 8 reps maximum for comound movements, 6 reps minimum. This allows me to put on up to 75% of my 1 rpm on exercises such as bench press. You will be building muscle because of the rep range, and a lot of strength through the weight it allows you to carry.

barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Hutter21 View Post
    I wanna get big fast, how many reps should I be doing to do that? I also kinda want to be strong too..And I consist of a push pull legs workout plan..(day 1 triceps shoulders chest, day 2 back and biceps, day 3 legs and abs)..
    I would recommend changing it up on a regular basis. Do a couple of weeks of 8-12 rep range followed by a 5x5 for a few weeks. It's basically a cycle of keeping a higher rep range to stimulate growth, followed by a cycle of lower reps and higher weight to stimulate strength gains. The goal would be to be able to do a higher weight the next time you do your 8-12 rep range. By doing this cycle, you avoid adaption/plateaus. That's a pretty basic cycle. I switch every other week between high and low reps. Seems to work well for me.

parsonic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I believe my doubt is related to the OP question...
    I am not sure how much effort is good enough for building muscle, I explain:
    I tend to go not so hard on weights, do my movements slowly (mostly with a small aceleration on positive, and go slow on the negative movement - not sure if I'm expressing myself correctly in english...)
    Everytime I go until failure, about 10 reps, four times(sets?) each exercise.
    I keep observing some other guys in the gym, and they are lifting maybe 2-3 times more weight than me (and they are not a lot bigger than me) with extreme effort, and mostly with someone else helping them to complete the reps.
    I prefer to workout alone, using the weights I can handle myself, and go 8 to 12 reps until failure. The next day, I can feel my sore muscles on the areas I worked out the day before, giving me the sensation that I'm exausting them correctly.
    I take supplements, eat right, but can't see improvements in one or 2 months. I did I hit a plateau?
    Should I see my muscles getting bigger on a weekly basis? Is that fast? I just can't notice my progress, and I tend to think that's normal, very slow achievements... How fast should I grow (in measurements) to understand I'm building muscle in the right pace? 5mm (on arm) in 1 month? 2 months? Is there any standard so I can monitor that?
    I hope I can get myself clear. Sorry for the not so clever english.
    Thanks

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stop thinking so hard and do sets of 10.

Serious, it's not that hard. 3 sets of 10 will not fail you for size OR strength.

Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Juicetin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by barrett30 View Post
    I would recommend changing it up on a regular basis. Do a couple of weeks of 8-12 rep range followed by a 5x5 for a few weeks. It's basically a cycle of keeping a higher rep range to stimulate growth, followed by a cycle of lower reps and higher weight to stimulate strength gains. The goal would be to be able to do a higher weight the next time you do your 8-12 rep range. By doing this cycle, you avoid adaption/plateaus. That's a pretty basic cycle. I switch every other week between high and low reps. Seems to work well for me.
    This.

Low reps = strength

High reps = size

I usually aim for failure between 6 - 10 reps

Change it up occasionaly to shock your body. EG, if you're benching 100 lbs for 10 reps, put 125 lbs one week and aim for 4 - 6 reps, then go back to your 100lbs and you should be able to do a lot more than 10! if you can, put it up to 110lbs and see how you go.

Good luck bro
    We freaks baby.

VGang.

No sleep crew
    3 pillows crew
    No pants crew
    Full gym attire at all times crew.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Hutter21 View Post
    All rational rep ranges work if you train progressively(adding weight to the bar regularly) on big basic exercises, and eat enough to grow.

You don't need to split if you are a buck fifty beginner.

All Pro's is a great fullbody bodybuilding program that will get you more muscle, and a lot of strength and strength to go with it. And you won't have a lot of weak links. It is based on 8-12 rep sets, and "double progression", getting the reps from 8 to 12 over five weeks, then dropping back the reps and starting over with around 10% more weight.

But for it to really get you somewhere, run AP for at least a year(10 cycles).

Starting strength is not a balanced program like AP. It is a strength program heavily based on the squat. If you don't mind gaining a lot of fat by using GOMAD(gallon of milk a day!) in lieu of 'roids, is the most aggressive strength program for beginners.

You add 5lbs to your squat every session, 15lbs a week, 60lbs a month, and two plates(+180lbs!) to your squat in three months or so all going well. That should make your squatting muscles bigger, if you get the calories in. It is based on 5 rep sets, and "linear progression".

If you are afraid of a massive calorie surplus when doing SS, you probably won't get get anything like that progress(which might take about a year on All Pro's).

The old "squats and milk" programs are based on 20 rep sets for the squat, and linear progression, adding 5lbs to your squat every time you get under the bar. That should get your attention. You start light, say your 5RM, or even a lot less, GOMAD is recommended, or you get crushed.

As you can see, all rational rep ranges have a track record.

Push/pull/legs IS a great split.

What is your program?
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    anywhere between 5-10 reps
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~