Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Smith machine bench press

Is it okay to bench press using the smith machine? I'm fairly new to bodybuilding and I'm bit uncomfortable around free weights. Sometimes I train with my friend, but he's not always there to spot me.

c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Labean View Post
    Is it okay to bench press using the smith machine? I'm fairly new to bodybuilding and I'm bit uncomfortable around free weights. Sometimes I train with my friend, but he's not always there to spot me.
    some people might say the smith machine press is inferior to a standard barbell bench press, but i believe both have their purposes and time to be fitted into your routine. you should definitely use free weight and go lighter just to improve your technique, get proper mind muscle connection, and to make sure you are doing a full ROM. some people use the smith as a "shortcut" to technique and still use it like sh*t!

HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000) HYD is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Labean View Post
    Don't get in the habit of using the smith machine. Get used to not going to failure, or get used to finding a spot with free weights. When you do a bench press it's only natural to move out and in a little bit. The smith machine only allows you to move straight up and down. This can cause serious shoulder problems. Using free weights also helps work out muscle size differences, and allows you to get stronger.

ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisAckerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The smith machine can be hard on your rotator cuffs and does not work stabilizing muscles as well. Since I work out alone, I bench with dumbbells and drop them if I can't complete the set.

youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) youlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    in my opinion it is okay to use the smith machine especially if u have no one going with you to spot. but i dont think it will work quite as well as a compound exercise as regular bench pres with free weights

eao117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you do use it keep your elbows tucked in, like everyone else said..your risking messing up your shoulders

SmashBrother has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive been working with smith machines for a couple of weeks now because my new gym doesn't have barbells. It's really not as good as barbells and I can tell im not getting any gains by using it. Go light on the barbell or use dumb bells. There are also other machines that are much better than smiths.

ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you don't like freeweights, then just do some dumbbell press. You don't need a spotter for those. Also, the smith machines are inferior to the freeweights, if you ask me. It's a lot easier. You may be able to press 200lbs on a smith machine, and only 150lbs freeweights lol. I'm just making up those numbers, but you get my point.
    "Lift light, until you can lift right!" Leave your ego out of it!
    Don't compare yourself to others. You're your own person.
    Lift, eat, then sleep. Rinse & Repeat.

Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Smith machine is ok. I almost always use DB. I feel i get more freedom of movement with it and i don't have a workout partner so it's more convenient. The only thing i always use a BB for is guilotine press.
    snapchat:bach225
    U.S. Army 13F
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    ★ DEADLIFT CREW ★
    +Ohio til I die crew+

tyydal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tyydal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ramone2485 View Post
    If you don't like freeweights, then just do some dumbbell press. You don't need a spotter for those. Also, the smith machines are inferior to the freeweights, if you ask me. It's a lot easier. You may be able to press 200lbs on a smith machine, and only 150lbs freeweights lol. I'm just making up those numbers, but you get my point.
    Exactly this. If you don't feel comfortable with the BB, then use DBs. I personally switched from BB to DB once I lost my training partner. If you absolutely HAVE to use a BB, then why not just ask someone else at the gym to spot you?

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Labean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ChrisAckerman View Post
    The smith machine can be hard on your rotator cuffs and does not work stabilizing muscles as well. Since I work out alone, I bench with dumbbells and drop them if I can't complete the set.
    I think I'll try this out. If I fail to do another rep and the weights get stuck, I can always just toss the dumbbells away. I'd be kinda screwed using a barbell, I guess...

DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeBee1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Make sure you keep those wrists straight when using the smithy. It also deducts the effort from your muscles to stabilise, as you would do in a normal bench press.
    North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand

BIG Goals

GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GAS3987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One gym I use has the smith machine. I think it has its place getting someone started benching. But I have come to really like true bar bench pressing, even since I use less weight I feel free weights are a better workout no matter what.
    Luke 22:36
    Molon Labe

I understand there are three main body types when it comes to bodybuilding. I think I have a blend of everything but naturally muscular. Yippee!

DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My own experience -
    I used a smith machine for bench presses, incline, decline and normal for about a month, and though I didn't realize at the time, I didn't have a good MMC and made no chest gains at all. Dumbbells work a lot better imo, the first time I used them, I could really feel them squeeze and press my chest. Noticed a nice pump in my pec muscles too.
    Regarding weight - I could easily do 45kg total on the smith (around 90 pounds? and 3 sets of 15 reps each) but when I tried using a normal barbell for the first time, I had trouble doing presses without any added weight, just the bar, so around 20 kg, or 44 pounds. Just so you can see the difference

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ChrisAckerman View Post
    It's just the opposite. It will save your RC. RC is a stabilizer and is not worked much with a Smith. This is a good approach to use on occaision. You take the stabilizers out of the equation and you can concentrate on moving more weight with the pecs. On any exercise you're limited by the weakest link and those pesky little stabilizers are it. You still need free weights but Smith presses are a good break from them. Once I started implementing them 10 years ago my shoulders almost instantly felt better and my chest improved.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 10-01-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the smith machine should burn in hell...period.
    OG

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ditch the smith machine and GET COMFORTABLE WITH FREE WEIGHTS
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000) Juicemw is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    the smith machine should burn in hell...period.
    Unfortunately, sometimes that's your only option. Work with what you have, and make the best of it. Make sure you're doing it correctly.
    Don't stop hustlin'

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146846923 my 5/3/1 journal. Check it out!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164994961 My latest iSatori Stack Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160022811&p=1203255631#post1203255631 my iSatori H-Blocker Promo Log!

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The smith machine is one of the most valuable tools in the gym. It keeps your towel from hittign the ground, it makes a nice place to lean on, and it take up space that could be used for free weights.
    The smith machine is on of the most hyped and usllas machines in the gym stay away from it and learn touse dumbells.