emzero2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Does strengthening and stretching muscles really fix anterior/posterior pelvic tilt?

I've recently discovered I have anterior pelvic tilt (Donald duck syndrom). That explains why my belly sticks out (I don't have fat there) and I had so much lower back pains, which are now less frequent as I'm working out and trying to correct my posture while working in the computer all day long (I'm a web developer).

I've read lots of articles, seen tons of videos that suggest strengthening the rectus abdominis, external obliques, gluteals, and hamstrings and stretching your lower back and hip flexors to fix the anterior pelvic tilt (ATP).

On the other hand, there are people saying none of that will really help. This study if one example of this idea: ww*w.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2951745 (can't post links). So it's kind a big controversy.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has actually been able to fix ATP by doing these exercises and stretches. If so, what did you do exactly.

I'm going to try them myself anyway, maybe they'd work for me.

Thanks

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It will help to some degree (usually noticeable unless the ATP is minimal). ATP is caused primarily (particularly in lifters) from imbalances...strengthening and stretching can help counter this imbalance.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by emzero2 View Post
    I've recently discovered I have anterior pelvic tilt (Donald duck syndrom). That explains why my belly sticks out (I don't have fat there) and I had so much lower back pains, which are now less frequent as I'm working out and trying to correct my posture while working in the computer all day long (I'm a web developer).

I've read lots of articles, seen tons of videos that suggest strengthening the rectus abdominis, external obliques, gluteals, and hamstrings and stretching your lower back and hip flexors to fix the anterior pelvic tilt (ATP).

On the other hand, there are people saying none of that will really help. This study if one example of this idea: ww*w.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2951745 (can't post links). So it's kind a big controversy.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has actually been able to fix ATP by doing these exercises and stretches. If so, what did you do exactly.

I'm going to try them myself anyway, maybe they'd work for me.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat too. I have slight pelvic tilt and also work at a desk job all day. I'm trying to stretch my hip flexors/calves/hamstrings 3-4x a day and making sure to get up and stand at my desk for 10 minutes every hour.

What are you doing for muscle strengthening? Are you doing specific lifts?

emzero2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MuscleXtreme View Post
    I'm in the same boat too. I have slight pelvic tilt and also work at a desk job all day. I'm trying to stretch my hip flexors/calves/hamstrings 3-4x a day and making sure to get up and stand at my desk for 10 minutes every hour.

What are you doing for muscle strengthening? Are you doing specific lifts?
    Same here. I've relief my lower back pains getting up and stretch every hour (if somebody is interested, Workrave is a great app that reminds you about that).

Regarding the exercises, I've just discovered I have this so I can't really talk from real experience, but I have googled a LOT about it and I find this article pretty legit from my understanding of the problem.
    ww*w.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/dont_be_like_donald_duck;jsessionid=992A8FAF39CAB6 56BEC7A677F63F805B-mcd01.hydra (remove the *)

If you have a muscular imbalance in your upper body (like adducted scapulae) for doing lot of chest exercises and not so much back ones, you would simply try to balance it by doing more pull workout right?

It makes sense to me that the same needs to be done regarding the pelvis.
    So if you have anterior pelvic tilt, beside stretching the psoas (hip flexor) you would strengthen the muscles that produce the opposite movement (posterior pelvic tilt), not isolated them, but actually doing the posterior pelvic movement.

I'm gonna try the exercises in that article and get back to report improvements.

KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000)
    Short answer, combination of active-isolated stretching and exercises specifically to counteract any muscle imbalances in general will always help somewhat, but the degree is based on the person. Best to try and see for yourself. Personally, dynamic stretching before lifts combined with supersetting very light focused movements after every set (example : squats followed by directly by 10 bodyweight squats focusing on very strict form, or bench followed directly by 10 lb raising flies, focusing on targeting chest) really helped alot of issues I had with a ton of overactive/underactive muscle imbalances. Might be worth a shot.
    Started @ 2009 - 335 LBS & 37% BF
    Now @ 2014 - 210 LBS & 11% BF

"Get what you like so you're not stuck having to like what you get."
    "Ghime? What's a ghime?" *Homer walks into the gym* "Oh, haha...a GHIME."