SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000)

Legitimacy of American Pure Whey?

I remember that a few months ago, someone on Reddit tested a number of whey protein products and learned that, apparently, American Pure Whey contains next to no protein whatsoever. But were the results of the test legitimate? Can it be confirmed whether American Pure Whey actually contains the stated amount of protein per serving (29g)?

Team SAN Enthusiast! dragonalex's Avatar
    dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
    I remember that a few months ago, someone on Reddit tested a number of whey protein products and learned that, apparently, American Pure Whey contains next to no protein whatsoever. But were the results of the test legitimate? Can it be confirmed whether American Pure Whey actually contains the stated amount of protein per serving (29g)?
    Are you looking for cheap protein or are you just trying to prove something?

It's very touchy, I suggest just going with a decent well known company on these forums.
    ::Current Goods::
    White Rapids & Mucuna Pruiens
    MyProtein Impact Whey
    Ergochain

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Although that reddit test was pretty much worthless, I would still opt for something else other than that..

Like ^^^ he said, go for a reputable company
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
    Online Trainer/Coach - PM for Details/Inquiries

SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000) SpiceCake is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dragonalex View Post
    Are you looking for cheap protein or are you just trying to prove something?

It's very touchy, I suggest just going with a decent well known company on these forums.
    Not sure what you mean by the part about trying to prove something. There are very few companies with protein products that contain 29 grams of WPI per serving, and from doing a bit of research, it looks like the few companies whose products do contain that much protein per serving are simply APW's proteins re-packaged as private label products (I'm basing this off the fact that the nutrition labels of the WPI products from the aforementioned companies are virtually identical to those of APW's products). I don't have an ulterior motive here -- I just want a protein product with a high quantity of protein per serving (I.e., as close to 30g as I can get) and as little fat and sugar as possible.

triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've ordered some of these cheaper proteins before and they are definitely sketchy. The consistency is like flour.

Team SAN Enthusiast! dragonalex's Avatar
    dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dragonalex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not sure what you mean by the part about trying to prove something. There are very few companies with protein products that contain 29 grams of WPI per serving, and from doing a bit of research, it looks like the few companies whose products do contain that much protein per serving are simply APW's proteins re-packaged as private label products (I'm basing this off the fact that the nutrition labels of the WPI products from the aforementioned companies are virtually identical to those of APW's products). I don't have an ulterior motive here -- I just want a protein product with a high quantity of protein per serving (I.e., as close to 30g as I can get) and as little fat and sugar as possible.
    Look into Meta-Force, 26g and mixed blend.

::Current Goods::
    White Rapids & Mucuna Pruiens
    MyProtein Impact Whey
    Ergochain

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What kind of a filler would they be putting into their product that is cheaper than a dairy by-product?

Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    What kind of a filler would they be putting into their product that is cheaper than a dairy by-product?
    Posters on other forums have suggested that APW mixes, smells, and even tastes like bulk maltodextrin.

Originally Posted by triplewhammy View Post
    I've ordered some of these cheaper proteins before and they are definitely sketchy. The consistency is like flour.
    Yeah, I noticed that too regarding the flour-like consistency. Generally speaking, if a powder mixes that cleanly, is that an indication that the powder contains no/little protein? The reason I ask is because the WPI products I've had from more reputable manufacturers (e.g., Allmax Isoflex, Tru Nutrition's Iso-Ology, etc.) have always clumped pretty substantially when mixed in skim milk. On the other hand, the APW samples I tried mix almost as cleanly as Crystal Light...

triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, I noticed that too regarding the flour-like consistency. Generally speaking, if a powder mixes that cleanly, is that an indication that the powder contains no/little protein? The reason I ask is because the WPI products I've had from more reputable manufacturers (e.g., Allmax Isoflex, Tru Nutrition's Iso-Ology, etc.) have always clumped pretty substantially when mixed in skim milk. On the other hand, the APW samples I tried mix almost as cleanly as Crystal Light...
    Yeah I really don't know but it's just not worth it to take a chance... if it's that cheap there's gotta be a reason...

Yeah I really don't know but it's just not worth it to take a chance... if it's that cheap there's gotta be a reason...
    I guess the only way to really find out whether or not their WPI product truthfully contains the stated 29g of protein/scoop is to send off a scoop's worth of powder to an analytical lab and get it tested. Of course, their protein could be so affordable because they don't spend any money on advertising or on plastic tubs, but that's really giving them the benefit of the doubt. I guess I just really wanted the product to be legitimate since it tastes so good and costs so little.

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    If the dairy by-product you're speaking of is whey, you're hugely mistaken if you think it's "cheap". Prices of raws are skyrocketing, yet their prices on the product are able to remain the same.. hmmm

A quality WPI will typically clump in milk

Agreed, go for something else

Originally Posted by BigBoLuke93 View Post

Agreed, go for something else
    The other week, I heard about a relatively new company called True Nutrition, but I can't seem to find anyone who has used or even heard of their brand. They sell a variety of protein products at really attractive prices, but that isn't exactly a reassurance that their products actually contain any protein...

The other week, I heard about a relatively new company called True Nutrition, but I can't seem to find anyone who has used or even heard of their brand. They sell a variety of protein products at really attractive prices, but that isn't exactly a reassurance that their products actually contain any protein...
    They have a forum on their site and many people seem to like the stuff.. I've been curious about it myself, but never bought any.

Also, I've heard the shipping cost is pretty crazy

Originally Posted by BigBoLuke93 View Post
    They have a forum on their site and many people seem to like the stuff.. I've been curious about it myself, but never bought any.

Also, I've heard the shipping cost is pretty crazy
    Ah, what the hell -- I just decided to go for it. I ordered their 12-pack of RTD's (WPI) and selected a variety of flavors (chocolate, choc. mint, choc. chip cookie dough, strawberry, vanilla) since they don't seem to have any other option for sampling multiple flavors, so we'll see how it goes. Each RTD has 200 calories and 50 grams of protein, so unless these guys are pulling an APW, it's nothing but protein. My total including shipping came to ~$36.

Please let the chocolate chip cookie dough be good.

Well heck, now I don't know what to think. I emailed Anresco (the company that APW claims tested their products and returned a favorable COA indicating that their powders contain the stated amount of protein/serving) and asked if APW really did have their protein tested by them, and they told me that they did. So now I don't know what to think... maybe APW selectively sent a few samples that really did contain protein just for the sake of getting a legitimate COA?

wese423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

American Pure Whey

Not sure as to how people get these "facts" about whey protein products, but my advice to you is if you like the taste and the price is right stick with it.

Labels are thoroughly regulated. If the product did not have 29g of protein per serving someone would have found and resolved before you heard about it.

Flour like consistency is a mark of high quality whey protein isolate or concentrate. Trust me, I sell WPC and WPI (hydrolyzed, instant and regular) to companies that manufacture protein powders, shakes, bars, etc. The best instant WPC I have ever seen in a sample that came across my desk was organic iWPC 80 and it looked exactly like flour and was pure white.

I can assure you these powders are not "by-products", sure they are by-products of the initial cheese making process, but the true dairy by-products are never seen by the retail/food grade market... they are sold to mink, chicken, cattle and hog farms for feed purposes.

Soy based proteins are about 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of whey proteins. I am not a nutritionist, but I have common sense, if soy proteins were as beneficial as whey proteins are to your body, no company would use whey protein powders.

Lastly, APW products are cheaper because they are private labeled. The consumer pays for advertising/name recognition from well known companies, that is a fact.

ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wese423 View Post
    Not sure as to how people get these "facts" about whey protein products, but my advice to you is if you like the taste and the price is right stick with it.

Labels are thoroughly regulated. If the product did not have 29g of protein per serving someone would have found and resolved before you heard about it.

Flour like consistency is a mark of high quality whey protein isolate or concentrate. Trust me, I sell WPC and WPI (hydrolyzed, instant and regular) to companies that manufacture protein powders, shakes, bars, etc. The best instant WPC I have ever seen in a sample that came across my desk was organic iWPC 80 and it looked exactly like flour and was pure white.

I can assure you these powders are not "by-products", sure they are by-products of the initial cheese making process, but the true dairy by-products are never seen by the retail/food grade market... they are sold to mink, chicken, cattle and hog farms for feed purposes.

Soy based proteins are about 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of whey proteins. I am not a nutritionist, but I have common sense, if soy proteins were as beneficial as whey proteins are to your body, no company would use whey protein powders.

Lastly, APW products are cheaper because they are private labeled. The consumer pays for advertising/name recognition from well known companies, that is a fact.
    ok. now update you signature