themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Soundproofing Gym Door & Floor Protection

Hello everyone!

I am almost done with my gym and my 40' container (Shipped from Legend Fitness) will be here in two weeks. I am preparing my gym space. Problem is my door is standard size, so I'm afraid machines like Rogers Seated Squat Pro won't go through the door. For that, I want to take down a part of the wall and create a big door. The door will be facing the street and I am looking for tips about soundproofing the door to make sure I don't bother the neighbors especially when working out late at night or early in the morning. the door will be made out of 1.25cm to 2.0cm thick metal sheets. The fabricator suggested to put 4cm or 5cm polystyrene sheets between the two metal sheets and cover the door end with rubber seal to soundproof the door. for the dimensions, I am considering to make the door around 1.80cm x 1.80cm.

- Polystyrene insulation is better than nothing and it is very cheap. How good is it to soundproof the gym and most importantly prevent sound from leaking out?

- Should I consider adding a layer of mineral wool on the Polystyrene ?

- Is 1.80m x 1.80m door enough to get my gym equipment inside or is it a little too big (or Small)?

The floor is ceramic tiles and I's sure putting heavy machines will break them. So, I'm thinking about converting the entire space into a large lifting platform by placing a layer of plywood sheets and a layer of 3/4" thick stall mats. Will that do? Or am I over doing it with the plywood?

Thank you,

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can actually buy soundproofing tiles. They will likely be your cheapest option. They can go on walls, doors and ceilings.

Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Gym"

More like murder room
    I have to return some videotapes

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
    -Some fish guy

225 Bench
    275 DL
    235 Squat

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by themaddemon View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am almost done with my gym and my 40' container (Shipped from Legend Fitness) will be here in two weeks. I am preparing my gym space. Problem is my door is standard size, so I'm afraid machines like Rogers Seated Squat Pro won't go through the door. For that, I want to take down a part of the wall and create a big door. The door will be facing the street and I am looking for tips about soundproofing the door to make sure I don't bother the neighbors especially when working out late at night or early in the morning. the door will be made out of 1.25cm to 2.0cm thick metal sheets. The fabricator suggested to put 4cm or 5cm polystyrene sheets between the two metal sheets and cover the door end with rubber seal to soundproof the door. for the dimensions, I am considering to make the door around 1.80cm x 1.80cm.

- Polystyrene insulation is better than nothing and it is very cheap. How good is it to soundproof the gym and most importantly prevent sound from leaking out?

- Should I consider adding a layer of mineral wool on the Polystyrene ?

- Is 1.80m x 1.80m door enough to get my gym equipment inside or is it a little too big (or Small)?

The floor is ceramic tiles and I's sure putting heavy machines will break them. So, I'm thinking about converting the entire space into a large lifting platform by placing a layer of plywood sheets and a layer of 3/4" thick stall mats. Will that do? Or am I over doing it with the plywood?

Thank you,

How close is the nearest neighbor that you're concerned about disturbing? Are you in a single-family dwelling, or are you in a condo or apartment building where you share walls/floors/ceilings with those neighbors.

Exactly what are you planning on doing in your gym that you feel will create a lot of noise?

Styrofoam has a very poor STC rating; it is never used as a soundproofing material. Most effective---and most expensive and complicated---means of soundproofing is mechanical decoupling of floors, walls, and ceilings, along with adding mass, but this isn't something that's generally practical in a residential building. Usually, when people try to 'soundproof' a room, they confuse acoustic treatment of room surfaces with 'soundproofing.' The two are not at all alike, and each has specific purpose and function.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 09-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's going to take a mighty strong hinge and door frame to support a steel door that's 180cm x 180cm x 2cm. Do you realize that size door will weigh about 500kg?

Also, at only 180cm high, be careful you don't bump your head.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm all for metric, when I'm outside of the good ole U.S. of A. But how about inches and feet and pounds here?

BTW, whatever you do it better be Legendary. . . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    I'm all for metric, when I'm outside of the good ole U.S. of A. But how about inches and feet and pounds here?

BTW, whatever you do it better be Legendary. . . .
    6' x 6' x ~3/4" and weighs ~1200lbs

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP sounds a bit like he's in an apartment...... which would seem kinda backwards to be modifying the walls, floors and doors for equipment.... in a rental. But then again, this is the Equipment forum
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000) BuckeyeROC is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've looked into building a soundproof media/gaming room in my basement. If you are really serious about it, there are forums and sites dedicated to the science behind it. IT IS NOT CHEAP.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #18 ||---||

themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) themaddemon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I live in a small three story villa. Basically it is our family house. The gym will be in the ground floor and the walls are thick. So, no worries here when I deadlift or play some loud music. However, the gym door will be facing the street and I don't want to disturb anyone with the loud music. So, I want to minimize sound leakage. In addition to the 5cm Styrofoam, I've decided to add a couple of layers of rock wool. So, two 1.25cm thick steel, 5cm styrofoam, and 5cm rock wool. I hope this is enough.

I don't know how heavy it will be, and I don't care since they will install it for me .

it is not going to be as awesome as this door lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnslSas5ZOQ but it should look similar to this one, keeping in mind the size difference of course.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zWviOKKBwZ...Ug/s1600/6.jpg

About the ceramic tiles, should I just throw 3/4" stall mats on them or plywood then stall mats ?

Atty, my gym will have Legends stuff in addition to, Rogers, Elitefts, Rogue, Ivanko, Cemco.... pretty much from almost all badass US companies out there (Except for Technogym, which I think is Italian). So, it is going to be epic.

So, two 1.25cm thick steel, 5cm styrofoam, and 5cm rock wool.
    This will also protect you from stray missiles.

Seriously, I doubt anyone is going to construct a domestic door using 2 plates of 1.25cm (1/2") thick steel.

You would struggle to find a suitable hinge to support that weight, and the door jamb/supporting wall would need to be purpose built.

Also, how do you suppose the installer will manage to position a 1500lb door?
    Last edited by daniel327; 09-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can do what you want, but a 6' insulated steel french door is solid , fairly sound proof , both doors open with no post in the middle, and they only cost about $400 or so.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    This also protect you from stray missiles.

Seriously, I doubt anyone is going to construct a domestic door using 2 plates of 1.25cm (1/2") thick steel.

You would struggle to find a suitable hinge to support that weight, and the door jamb/supporting wall would need to be purpose built.

Also, how do you suppose the installer will manage to position a 1500lb door?
    I don't think the one I'm talking about is that heavy. However, I've seen the doors (gates) you've been talking about, they were really heavy and weigh 1500lbs if not more. They use their own door frame and hinges. Other than that, I have no idea how they move it and install it. Those doors have all kind of insulation and protection. They were like vault doors or maybe they are but custom built as house gates. But they were a bit too expensive for me at the moment ( at least $427 per square meter) plus it takes 90 days to fabricate one and my container is coming is a week and a half to two weeks. I will see if I can visit the shops again and take some pictures of those awesome titanic doors.

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm struggling to understand the world where we put together our own personal gym from Legend equipment that fills a 40ft container, and we crane install a 1200lb bank vault door and a new wall to hold it just in case a nice mahogany entry door wouldn't block 100% of the clanging.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

I don't think the one I'm talking about is that heavy. However, I've seen the doors (gates) you've been talking about, they were really heavy and weigh 1500lbs if not more.
    I'm not "talking about" any particular doors. You're the one that suggested you're going to get a 180cm x 180cm door constructed with two 1.25cm thick steel panels.

Steel has a density of ~ 8g/cm3. Therefore, that amount of steel will weigh ~648kg (~1425lb).

Perhaps your door only needs to be constructed of 1.25mm thick steel panels.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I live in a small three story villa. Basically it is our family house. The gym will be in the ground floor and the walls are thick. So, no worries here when I deadlift or play some loud music. However, the gym door will be facing the street and I don't want to disturb anyone with the loud music. So, I want to minimize sound leakage. In addition to the 5cm Styrofoam, I've decided to add a couple of layers of rock wool. So, two 1.25cm thick steel, 5cm styrofoam, and 5cm rock wool. I hope this is enough.

I don't know how heavy it will be, and I don't care since they will install it for me .

it is not going to be as awesome as this door lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnslSas5ZOQ but it should look similar to this one, keeping in mind the size difference of course.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zWviOKKBwZ...Ug/s1600/6.jpg

About the ceramic tiles, should I just throw 3/4" stall mats on them or plywood then stall mats ?

Atty, my gym will have Legends stuff in addition to, Rogers, Elitefts, Rogue, Ivanko, Cemco.... pretty much from almost all badass US companies out there (Except for Technogym, which I think is Italian). So, it is going to be epic.

Yours is a classic case of having no understanding of what's involved in actually soundproofing a room or building. If you think a door is the only path that sound will take to get outside, you're in for a surprise after you've spent a pile of money to install an overbuilt, but not soundproof, door.

A better, and much more practical approach, would be to put in a regular, solid, well-weatherstripped residential door, and then simply control the sound level inside your gym. The cheapest place to regulate how much sound escapes from a residential building is at the source of the sound.

GL.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733