scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), meds, and muscle weakness and fatigue

I had been training for the last 4 years and doing well, then about 1 month ago, I ended up in the Emergency Room. Turns out I had high blood pressure (Hypertension), my BP numbers were through the roof 230/130. I was bleeding out of my nose, throat, eyes, it was like a horror movie. ER doctor said I was fortunate I didn't have a heart-attack or stroke.

My family doctor put me on a mix of high blood pressure medications and diuretics:

Lisinopril 40mg
    Spironolactone 50mg
    Chlorthalidone 50mg

My blood pressure now is normal, around 115/75.

But the side effects are awful. I am always tired, fatigued, and my muscles are weak and ache. I noticed right away there was something wrong with my muscles because I'd have to wash my hair in 2 sets -- my arms would get tired! Even walking, I noticed that the weight of my arms made the muscles in my shoulders and traps ache. Most surprisingly, despite my best efforts and will power, I can only lift or press about 60% of what I was doing just 1 month ago and I can barely get 8 reps of even the lightest "pink" weights done before my muscles are screaming in agony. I mean, it's not even a mental thing, I physically can't lift or press the weight I did 1 month ago.

What's going on here? Only 1 month ago I was lifting to my max and had little fatigue and quick recovery.

The doctor said that my muscles and organs were used to operating at a much high blood pressure, double of what it is normal, so it will take time for them to adjust to the lower pressure. We basically reduced my blood pressure by half!

Other stuff I'm reading is that these meds -- some worse than others -- cause muscle fatigue, weakness, tiredness.

What do you know about this?

Thanks,

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have had issues with medication and strength loss. I would give it awhile and see if your strength comes back.

I had most issues with statins and beta blockers. I am taking Losartan Potassium for high blood pressure and having good luck with it so far.

Another option for diuretics is an ultra low carb diet. Diets very low in carbs are diuretic in essence.

Of course, I would discuss with your Dr. before making any changes.

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
    I had been training for the last 4 years and doing well, then about 1 month ago, I ended up in the Emergency Room. Turns out I had high blood pressure (Hypertension), my BP numbers were through the roof 230/130. I was bleeding out of my nose, throat, eyes, it was like a horror movie. ER doctor said I was fortunate I didn't have a heart-attack or stroke.

My family doctor put me on a mix of high blood pressure medications and diuretics:

Lisinopril 40mg
    Spironolactone 50mg
    Chlorthalidone 50mg

My blood pressure now is normal, around 115/75.

But the side effects are awful. I am always tired, fatigued, and my muscles are weak and ache. I noticed right away there was something wrong with my muscles because I'd have to wash my hair in 2 sets -- my arms would get tired! Even walking, I noticed that the weight of my arms made the muscles in my shoulders and traps ache. Most surprisingly, despite my best efforts and will power, I can only lift or press about 60% of what I was doing just 1 month ago and I can barely get 8 reps of even the lightest "pink" weights done before my muscles are screaming in agony. I mean, it's not even a mental thing, I physically can't lift or press the weight I did 1 month ago.

What's going on here? Only 1 month ago I was lifting to my max and had little fatigue and quick recovery.

The doctor said that my muscles and organs were used to operating at a much high blood pressure, double of what it is normal, so it will take time for them to adjust to the lower pressure. We basically reduced my blood pressure by half!

Other stuff I'm reading is that these meds -- some worse than others -- cause muscle fatigue, weakness, tiredness.

What do you know about this?

Thanks,
    I've been dealing with the same issues for the past six months but my blood pressure is doing much better now. Verapamil was causing me to have shortness of breathe and chest tightness. I'm going in for my heart stress test on the treadmill tomorrow morning and plan on blowing it out of the water. Back when it was first discovered, I was getting migraine headaches every time I tried to exercise, it was real drag. I'm still taking Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide. I'm really hoping things continue to improve and I'm able to get off the stuff when I down closer to 200lbs.

I don't know about the weakness, right now I'm the strongest I've ever been.
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thats alot of meds all of the sudden. I had that issue a couple years ago too and they put me on a couple different ones but as my body stabilized through some lifestyle modifications, they took me off all but one med and its a small dose. Benicar 20mg. I feel fine now. I'm no doctor but I think you'll feel better in time and maybe they will ween you off some of them. Hang in there, and please, do what your doctor tells you. You'll be back better than ever with your new "normal" blood pressure.
    Tom

scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks. I guess it's confirming to hear others had similar issues, but eventually the strength came back.

I appreciate the plea to not go off the meds on my own. I've been contemplating stopping the Spironolactone on my own and seeing what happens, but a woman at church told me "I just felt I'm supposed to tell you, keep taking all your meds", and then now someone here saying the same thing. OK, I'll stay on it for now.

It's a lot of meds but my BP was super-high and I went to the ER 3 times, so my doctor threw the whole pharmacy at me.

I was on 4 hypertension meds, he's already taken away 1 and I'm down to 3.

He said if I can drop my weight to under 200 lbs (I'm 5'8") or if my BP goes to 90/60, then we can drop more meds.

So, my mission in life right now is to get off the meds however possible.

Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was on Lisinopril and had similar experience. For me, it took two weeks to feel ok..a month to feel "normal" and 2 mos. to really be back on my game. Then, I didn't even notice it. It is getting used to the sides as well as your body adjusting to lower pressure. Heck, better off weaker and alive than the alternative.

I had to stop taking it because I developed "the cough" which is a common side and was moved to Benicar. Now, it is just second nature. Give it time. Trust your doc, if you don't or can't fire him and get a different one. You'll be glad you got this addressed.
    The first and the best victory is to conquer self. To be conquered by self is, of all things, the most shameful and vile. — Plato

redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Started lifting and getting into shape because I noticed on my own that my blood pressure was getting into high range. Trying to see if I can manage without meds through diet and exercise. Lost 15lbs and cardio seems to help.

Cardio has lowered my BP more than any of these meds have been able to do. Throughout the day, my BP while taking meds and sitting at my desk fluctuates between 125/80 to 138/85.

After I go for a brisk walk up and down my steep hill outside for 30 minutes, my BP is 110/70 about 15 minutes after my walk. I even noticed one time it was 99/65 after the walk.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cardio has lowered my BP more than any of these meds have been able to do. Throughout the day, my BP while taking meds and sitting at my desk fluctuates between 125/80 to 138/85.

After I go for a brisk walk up and down my steep hill outside for 30 minutes, my BP is 110/70 about 15 minutes after my walk. I even noticed one time it was 99/65 after the walk.
    I got lucky mine is controlled so far by health improvements, I may need a pill yet but so far so good. I keep an eye on it. Losing 80 lbs helped the most for me, hope you get feeling better,

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    I got lucky mine is controlled so far by health improvements, I may need a pill yet but so far so good. I keep an eye on it. Losing 80 lbs helped the most for me, hope you get feeling better,
    Doctor said he'd like to see me drop 80-100 lbs, then he might be able to get me off the meds.

I was about 220 lbs one year ago, but shot up to 279 lbs in one year which is when I ended up in the ER last month. In the last month I've dropped 18 lbs, down to 261 lbs which is where I am now. I think my target is around 180-190 lbs. Long ways to go...

Drinks Well With Others RedXray's Avatar
    RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedXray has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So, my mission in life right now is to get off the meds however possible.
    I was on Benicar for about five years, my weight was 210 and had the classic "beer gut". After 6 months of pretty intense cardio my diastolic numbers dropped pretty low into the mid 50's. My Dr. cut my Benicar in half telling me " if you can keep doing what your doing I think we can ween you off the meds all together". Two months later I was able to stop the BP meds. My problem was all the visceral fat squeezing the internal organs, elevating my BP. I lost 55 lbs of fat and of course some muscle along the way. I'm on a slow bulk gaining back some muscle I lost, but the trade off of being med free and having the stamina I had back in my 30's is a no brainer.

ETA: On the side effects of Benicar... I had the dry wheezy cough as posted above, plus the thinning of the hair, which really sucked!

The main thing is the meds are working for you right now.

Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    I was on Benicar for about five years, my weight was 210 and had the classic "beer gut". After 6 months of pretty intense cardio my diastolic numbers dropped pretty low into the mid 50's. My Dr. cut my Benicar in half telling me " if you can keep doing what your doing I think we can ween you off the meds all together". Two months later I was able to stop the BP meds. My problem was all the visceral fat squeezing the internal organs, elevating my BP. I lost 55 lbs of fat and of course some muscle along the way. I'm on a slow bulk gaining back some muscle I lost, but the trade off of being med free and having the stamina I had back in my 30's is a no brainer.

ETA: On the side effects of Benicar... I had the dry wheezy cough as posted above, plus the thinning of the hair, which really sucked!

The main thing is the meds are working for you right now.
    Glad you got off the meds and feel better!

What kind of cardio routine did you do?

Did you do any weight lifting or resistance exercise? If so, what was your routine?

UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UndesirableNo1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

He said if I can drop my weight to under 200 lbs (I'm 5'8") or if my BP goes to 90/60, then we can drop more meds.
    First, who cares what you weigh if you're lean enough? Second, 90/60 is basement level BP. I would get a second opinion on what his an acceptable level of BP in order to lower the meds. I was on Lisinipril and HCTZ and was recently taken off the HCTZ and my BP has remained the same, 120ish/70ish. After your doc gets your BP under control, you then should start backing off the meds until you're in the mid-range of normal. Waiting until you have hypotension or hit an arbitrary weight doesn't seem like the best plan. It's all about sides vs realistic numbers, IMO.

bigdoghd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You nay want to have your Test levels checked. I have the same issues,no motivation, tired.....almost fell a sleep driving. Turns out my Test levels were way off.....on a TRT program and doing good.