1) Assume that a plant is suffering from drought and is beginning to wilt. Which cell component is most likely being affected, and what type of molecule is being lost from this structure?
A) endoplasmic reticulum; protein B) vacuole; water
C) lysosome; enzymes D) Golgi apparatus; water
2) The antibiotic streptomycin prevents protein synthesis in prokaryotes. Which cell component is the most likely target of this antibiotic?
A) cell membrane B) cell wall
C) ribosome D) Golgi apparatus
3) Scientists believe that the first prokaryotes on Earth arose over ________ years ago, and the first eukaryotes arose about ________ years later.
A) 3.5 billion; 1.7 billion B) 1.7 million; 3.5 million
C) 3.5 million; 1.7 million D) 1.7 billion; 3.5 billion
4) Prokaryotic cells have
A) a cell wall. B) a nucleus.
C) Golgi apparatus. D) endoplasmic reticulum.
5) Which feature is found in both prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
A) mitochondrion C) centriole
B) Golgi body D) DNA
6) In what unit of a eukaryotic cell are ribosomes made?
A) lysosome B) Golgi apparatus
C) nucleolus D) endoplasmic reticulum
7) What kind of molecule forms a bilayer that is the basis for all cellular membranes?
A) cholesterol C) phospholipid
B) carbohydrate D) protein
8) Which organelle contains digestive enzymes that degrade a variety of macromolecules?
A) mitochondrion B) endoplasmic reticulum
C) chloroplast D) lysosome
9) Which organelle is represented by a network of membranes involved in the production of proteins?
A) chloroplast B) lysosome
C) endoplasmic reticulum D) nucleus
10) Which organelle is a stack of membranous sacs that are involved in sorting proteins to their proper cellular location?
A) endoplasmic reticulum B) lysosome
C) centriole D) Golgi apparatus
11) Which cell component is composed of microtubules and helps move chromosomes around during cell division?
A) nucleolus B) cytoskeletal element
C) centriole D) chromatin
12) Microtubules, microfilaments, and intermediate filaments compose what part of a cell?
A) cholesterol B) centriole
C) cytoskeletal elements D) chromatin