rock_win has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rock_win has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Increasing weight for Lying Tricep barbell extension

Recently I have started doing the Lying Tricep extension with barbells and its tough to lift the amount of weight that I'm able to use on the same exercise with the dumbbells.

I use ez-bar and even half the weight feels heavy.

I know some part of it could be because of the grip, because now its much wider as compared to a single dumbbell.

Should i continue it with the bar or skip it to save my elbows

MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Weird. I do more weight with the barbell and dislike that exercise with a dumbbell. I do it on an inclin bench though.
    Alcoholism is a disease of the whole person. Sober since May 2011.

Registered User hight3chredneck's Avatar
    hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hight3chredneck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well, when doing skullcrushers, I like to have my upper arm not quite 90 degrees, to keep the weigth on them the entire exercise, this way you can also bring the weight down further behind your head.

rock_win has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rock_win has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hight3chredneck View Post
    Well, when doing skullcrushers, I like to have my upper arm not quite 90 degrees, to keep the weigth on them the entire exercise, this way you can also bring the weight down further behind your head.
    I do it on the decline - Charles Glass way.

If I do it on the flat bench, then range of motion is more strength oreintated ( checkout any Dave Tate video), basically its at 90 degree first and then after bringing the weight to the forehead you would then take it further back ,so your arm is almost rotated, and then shoot up to first position in one single movement.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rock_win View Post
    Recently I have started doing the Lying Tricep extension with barbells

Originally Posted by hight3chredneck View Post
    Well, when doing skullcrushers,

okay: here is where confusion reigns in threads like this, when you are not sure that people are using the correct terminology.

Lying triceps extensions and skullcrushers are really two different exercises, although they target the same muscle.

Skull crushers, done strictly, would explain better the OP's inability to hoist much weight, and should be expected.

Lying Triceps extension allows a more free methodology, in which, the barbell goes BEHIND your head, and, the initial push upwards is really fueled by your LATS, with the purpose of getting past the starting inertia without putting too much undue stress on the elbow and it's tendons.

If the OP could come back on and clarify this, I think this thread might head in a better direction.
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.