FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Carbs Vs Fat Help! (2.2k+ REPS!)

I decided to post here rather than the fat loss as the fat loss section just seem to say 'eat below maintenance' on everything.

Basically I want to cut down to sub 10% bodyfat for this summer (it's Spring here in Australia).

Now my problem is I have NEVER seen my abs in my whole life. I cut down from 100kg to 87kg and I started losing fat until about 95kg then just lost muscle all the way down to 87kg. That was purely eating under maintenance with little regard to macros apart from trying to hit all my protein.

What's better for cutting while keeping muscle? More carbs or more fat, I don't understand? Feel free to link me to studies, I don't expect you to type it all out for me, it's just in my google searches I seem to come across bro science rather than anything factual.

I'm thinking with this cut of doing something like;

300g Protein
    150 - 200g Fat
    50 - 100g Carbs

Is that a good idea?

Also, could someone explain why when I was incredibly skinny, I had no ab definition or anything?
    And how long it'll take for me to get sub 10% with how I am now?

These are my before and after;

Before:

Current:

Thank you, all help is appreciated!!

FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Funset View Post
    Everything I've read says that carbs are more helpful.
    I can back it up with a few sources you might want to take a look at.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/40...eserve-muscle/
    http://www.muscletech.com/resources/...wn/index.shtml
    http://www.organic-triathlete.com/05...e-you-kidding/
    http://valeriewaters.com/2012/08/30/...burn-more-fat/
    They explain how to diet and when and what to eat,hope this helps you on your cut.
    Also your meals look fine,I'm sure you know to split it up and eat every 3 hours.

None of those say carbs are more helpful in general.

Most the articles are saying that you should carb cycle.

I'm wondering if I'm insulin resistant because I was skinny but had no abs.
    I have always eaten tonnes of carbs, they have always been my favourite, heaps of bread, chips, potato etc.

Maybe I could drop my carbs to near nothing Monday - Friday, then eat as many carbs as I want Saturday and Sunday to carb cycle? IDK.

I feel like this whole 'getting ripped' doesn't work on my body.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by funset View Post
    i'm sure you know to split it up and eat every 3 hours.
    wtf
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    wtf

Advice please?
    I know you're one of the nutritional gods around here!

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FFX View Post
    Advice please?
    I know you're one of the nutritional gods around here!
    What I quoted was crap

What's your TDEE? Lot of calories you're having

Why such low carb?? You function better without them?

The best thing for your cut would be determine if you function better on low or high carb, if you like eating carbs I suggest keep your carbs high as long as possible
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

What I quoted was crap

What's your TDEE? Lot of calories you're having

Why such low carb?? You function better without them?

The best thing for your cut would be determine if you function better on low or high carb, if you like eating carbs I suggest keep your carbs high as long as possible

My TDEE is 3,470 according to a TDEE calculator.

I'm currently eating around 5,000 calories a day and bulking.

I have never tried low carbs to be honest. It's just last time I cut, everything went so wrong.
    Cutting surely can't be just calories in vs calories out to get ripped right? There must be more to it otherwise last time I did it, I shouldn't have lost muscle instead of fat.

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cutting surely can't be just calories in vs calories out to get ripped right? There must be more to it otherwise last time I did it, I shouldn't have lost muscle instead of fat.
    If your protein intake is high enough to help prevent muscle loss (say 1g/lb), & your fats are high enough to maintain healthy hormone production (0.4g/lb), then combined with a deficit, that's basically all there is to it.

Either of those can be higher if you prefer, as long as you maintain your desired calorie deficit.
    Delirious Mutant.

My TDEE is 3,470 according to a TDEE calculator.

I'm currently eating around 5,000 calories a day and bulking.
    Why are you eating at such a huge surplus

Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    If your protein intake is high enough to help prevent muscle loss (say 1g/lb), & your fats are high enough to maintain healthy hormone production (0.4g/lb), then combined with a deficit, that's basically all there is to it.

Either of those can be higher if you prefer, as long as you maintain your desired calorie deficit.

Maybe I didn't have enough protein last time then which was holding me back.
    Hopefully this time is different, cheers!

Why are you eating at such a huge surplus

Because what the calculator tells me is my TDEE, doesn't mean that is my true TDEE.
    I'm eating at 5,000 calories a day and not gaining noticeable fat. I have a high metabolism.
    I can show you a picture of me a mere 2 months ago after my failed cut and have been eating at 5k calories for the past month if you'd like to see a comparison between fat increase, as it's very minimal.

In my before photo where I was ridiculously skinny, I'd eat McDonalds at least once every day (sometimes twice) along with junk food snacks throughout the day.

Because what the calculator tells me is my TDEE, doesn't mean that is my true TDEE.
    I'm eating at 5,000 calories a day and not gaining noticeable fat. I have a high metabolism.
    I can show you a picture of me a mere 2 months ago after my failed cut and have been eating at 5k calories for the past month if you'd like to see a comparison between fat increase, as it's very minimal.

In my before photo where I was ridiculously skinny, I'd eat McDonalds at least once every day (sometimes twice) along with junk food snacks throughout the day.
    Your TDEE isn't what you posted then. In the future post correct info for accurate advice

Your macros are TOO low for your TDEE

MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100) MiIitaryGuy is not very well liked. (-100)
    In regards to your body and the use of ENERGY, the main reason for muscle loss is due to a high caloric deficit. Energy sources in order. 1) Carbs 2) Protein 3) MUSCLE. In regards to the abbs, everything i heard about that is genetics. Some show abbs at 14% BF and some not till lower or maybe even higher, but they are there.
    Last edited by MiIitaryGuy; 09-19-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    You are what you eat!