Thread: 4 day split

Registered User Shreddedforever's Avatar
    Shreddedforever has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

4 day split

Just wondering what other people think of doing back/bis...and chest/tris days. I think pre exhausting my muscles on those days is hindering my gains. Synergistic might not be best? Might switch out bis/chest day and tris/back day??

Current split:

Legs +abs
    Chest/tris
    off
    Shoulders/traps
    Back/bis +abs
    off
    off
    Repeat

goodfella71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Shreddedforever View Post
    Just wondering what other people think of doing back/bis...and chest/tris days. I think pre exhausting my muscles on those days is hindering my gains.
    Are you saying your pre-exhausting by doing isolation movements like flyes before bench presses and rows or something before deadlifts etc. Conventional wisdom would dictate you to build your routine around squats, benches, deads, and presses first then add in the assistance stuff afterwards unless your after a change up. Isolations might add little value once again unless your after specific results.
    Theres other threads in here advising you on this type of programming. Best of luck.

AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntonisD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just wondering what other people think of doing back/bis...and chest/tris days. I think pre exhausting my muscles on those days is hindering my gains. Synergistic might not be best? Might switch out bis/chest day and tris/back day??

Current split:

Legs +abs
    Chest/tris
    off
    Shoulders/traps
    Back/bis +abs
    off
    off
    Repeat
    I think this is definitely not going to optimize your muscle/strength gains. Look into Daily Undulating Periodization (i.e PHAT)
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

ISSA CFT

Originally Posted by goodfella71 View Post
    Are you saying your pre-exhausting by doing isolation movements like flyes before bench presses and rows or something before deadlifts etc. Conventional wisdom would dictate you to build your routine around squats, benches, deads, and presses first then add in the assistance stuff afterwards unless your after a change up. Isolations might add little value once again unless your after specific results.
    Theres other threads in here advising you on this type of programming. Best of luck.
    Pre exhausting as in....triceps is secondary muscle on chest days and biceps are secondary muscle on back days. By the time Im done chest sets....when i go to triceps they are already pre exhausted....hindering the volume i can do with them??... Thus not optimal gains or optimal split

RyanWoods007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pre exhausting as in....triceps is secondary muscle on chest days and biceps are secondary muscle on back days. By the time Im done chest sets....when i go to triceps they are already pre exhausted....hindering the volume i can do with them??... Thus not optimal gains or optimal split
    Why do you need a tri or bi workout? You should get that when you do your pushing and pulling exercises.

Originally Posted by AntonisD View Post
    I think this is definitely not going to optimize your muscle/strength gains. Look into Daily Undulating Periodization (i.e PHAT)
    As for the Daily undulating periodization method...this is pretty advanced....im currently sticking to hypertrophic exercises...havnt thought about alot of that DUP stuff yet. I believe i may try these and other methods when i get older or more advanced and reach more plateaus

Originally Posted by RyanWoods007 View Post
    Why do you need a tri or bi workout? You should get that when you do your pushing and pulling exercises.
    My feeling is that they are only being pre exhausted on those days since they are used secondary..and wont reach there full potential unless you directly target them. They will grow and get a great workout on the Back and Chest days.....but i do not believe this is sufficient to get them peaks and full contractions that grow them completely

Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same problem, i had no energy to do dips after incline and flat bench on my chest&tricep days. Now im doing with great results:

- Back
    - Chest
    - Legs&Abs
    - Shoulders&Arms
    Get stronger to climb harder!

Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've dropped the cookie cutter routines of late and primarily focus on my compounds instead. I am much better off for it. I currently do a 4 day which is a based on n@tural1's rotation based on a Legs / Back and Chest / shoulders layout.

I hate 'arm' days. A bit pointless IMO. I do dips and chin or heavy BB Curls if I do some isos.

Originally Posted by Diddii View Post
    I had the same problem, i had no energy to do dips after incline and flat bench on my chest&tricep days. Now im doing with great results:

- Back
    - Chest
    - Legs&Abs
    - Shoulders&Arms
    Yes this split could definitely be a cure for arm fatigue while keeping on a 4 day split. Might have to try my arms on a shoulders day sometime soon