tsrand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not seeing much muscle definition yet

Hello all I am new to the forums. I started lifting around 5 months ago. Began using a Bowflex. About 3 months ago, I started using free weights for most exercises and the bowflex for the exercises that I don't have the equipment for at home.

I am male, 5'10", 158lbs. When I started jogging/lifting I was at 208lbs, so I have lost 50lbs.

I started with 3 full body workouts, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then after 3 months of that, I switched to a split routine for about a month. Then for the last month I have been focusing on a body part a day for 5 days a week. Such as Arms(Monday), Shoulders/Traps(Tuesday), Legs (Wednesday), Back (Thursday), Chest (Friday). Usually do around 3 or 4 different exercises and 8-10 reps for 3 sets.

I have not seen much muscle growth at all. NOt sure what the problem is exactly. I read places that I should be eating alot of protein. So, if I weigh 158, I should be eating 158 grams of protein a day. I haven't been eating but about 40 or 50 grams a day...could this be my problem?

I will be visiting GNC, which protein and supplements should I get to make me start seeing some muscle definition and size gains...

Thanks all! Glad to be here!

Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiryu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tsrand View Post
    Hello all I am new to the forums. I started lifting around 5 months ago. Began using a Bowflex. About 3 months ago, I started using free weights for most exercises and the bowflex for the exercises that I don't have the equipment for at home.

I am male, 5'10", 158lbs. When I started jogging/lifting I was at 208lbs, so I have lost 50lbs.

I started with 3 full body workouts, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then after 3 months of that, I switched to a split routine for about a month. Then for the last month I have been focusing on a body part a day for 5 days a week. Such as Arms(Monday), Shoulders/Traps(Tuesday), Legs (Wednesday), Back (Thursday), Chest (Friday). Usually do around 3 or 4 different exercises and 8-10 reps for 3 sets.

I have not seen much muscle growth at all. NOt sure what the problem is exactly. I read places that I should be eating alot of protein. So, if I weigh 158, I should be eating 158 grams of protein a day. I haven't been eating but about 40 or 50 grams a day...could this be my problem?

I will be visiting GNC, which protein and supplements should I get to make me start seeing some muscle definition and size gains...

Interesting, I started working out maybe 3 months ago, Dropped from 220 to 185 and I'm seeing definition. Lift heavy is the best advice I can give and eat more I'm 5'10 roguhly and 185 pounds, you seem very small,

ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChrisLS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Your diet is the biggest factor. Eat a ton more and track your calories. I'm betting you're eating hardly anything at all.

Supplementation should stay simple in the begining. Protein, creatine monohydrate, fish oil, maybe a pre workout if you need some motivation and energy. Don't bother with test boosters, gda's, fat burners etc until you get your diet, rest and routine in check.

Head to the nutrition forum for tips and to calculate your required caloric intake.
    Thanks for your input, you frauding fat slampig-Sirfapsalot '20

Certified Jimmy Rustler

!!Misc Firearms Crew😌!!
    Fuarked Crew
    Tradie Crew
    LOL @ Tradies Crew
    Toxic Male Energy Crew
    JayDawg is a ****git Crew
    Sock with slip on Sandals Crew

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You definitely need to eat more protein, it is crucial to building/repairing muscle tissue. Also, like Chris said, you need to be eating plenty of calories to build muscle, so head to the nutrition section a read the stickies to figure out your daily calorie and macronutrient amounts based on your current goals, and be consistent with them.

You could also probably benefit from visiting the Workout Programs section to find a solid, proven workout program so you know that you are training correctly.

Lastly, do not go to GNC, they will heavily over-charge you and try to sell you things you don't need. You will be much better off making your purchases from a trusted online retailer such as the one you are posting on.
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
    Online Trainer/Coach - PM for Details/Inquiries

ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not only are you not getting enough protein, you're not getting enough calories.

You've been losing weight which means you've been eating with a calorie deficit. To gain muscle you've got to do the opposite. I.e. overfeed you muscles and eat more than you should.

So what this means is getting 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body mass. This also means filling up the rest of your calories with carbohydrates and fats. You want to make sure the protein your ingesting is being used for muscle growth and not energy! So all I can say is eat eat eat!!!

Calculate your calorie maintenance (there are calculators online) and add 500 to that to see what you need to gain muscle.

Once you hit 120g of protein a day from food, then look into protein powder. Supplements are supplements; they supplement an already good diet. They're not there to replace meals.

Good luck!
    Conjugate Method Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167495971

My Blog: https://thepowerliftingjourney.wordpress.com/

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get on a better program.
    You don't need to be on a bodybuilding split when first starting out. SS, 5x5, or 5/3/1. Lots of milk. Lots of protein.

tsrand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I appreciate all the replies. One of the reasons I started trying to lose weight was due to the big old pot belly I was getting. I don't have a problem with eating, but I definitely do not want to get a big stomach. Working hard on getting those abs to pop out.

morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morningstaru is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Get your diet in check before you go to far into supplements.
    You need some more protein in your diet or else you'll be going through 4-6 scoops of whey a day to hit your protein goals.

Also sounds like you're eating too few calories overall.

You may be looking to reduce your belly, but starving your body will actually work AGAINST your goals.
    You can be in a slight deficit in order to help get the belly down, but if you're eating too few calories you're actually making it harder on yourself to get the physique you're looking to achieve.

Spend some time reading over the nutrition stickies and you should find some decent info.

mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikz86ta will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with most all what was said.
    Congrats on your success so far loosing weight. Keep in mind also most peoples bodies are 'trained' tobe the way they are since that was what your body is used to. You lost a ton of weight and your body is now prob used to maintaining that way. You have to retrain your body to add mass but good mass. That being said, guys already directed you to the nutrition section and figure out your diet and meet your macros. Extra calories are key. Protein shakes are a 'supplement' not a replacement for a proper diet. Get a good quality protein..BB has alot of good ones and typically good sales. If you are lifting hard and working out most days of the week, if you want to reap benefits of that work in mass, make your own mass gainer. Search that but most mix whole milk, whey protein, pnut butter, oats and a banana. Seems to be the most popular do-it-yourself gainer Good luck and welcome to the board!
    Current Supps:
    PreWorkout - CL White Flood & CL White Blood (trying out)
    Intra - Scivation Xtend or CL Purple Wraath
    Proteins - CL Golden Feast new watermelon
    Creatine - ON micronized mono
    Vitamins - CL Orange Triad or NOW Adam
    Fish oil - CL Orange OxiMega
    Extra - CL OxiGreens