Equanimity94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Equanimity94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Equanimity94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Equanimity94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Equanimity94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Equanimity94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Lower body fat percentage and GAIN muscle

Hey,

I am a 17 almost 18 years old teen very interested in gaining muscle and redefining it if you know what I mean.

I am 163 pounds and 5'8 almost 5'9 and I don't know what my body fat percentage is but it look like its about 15 to 18%.

I would like to drop that as low as possible maybe even 8% if i can maintain that but 10% would be great.

I would like to know because i have done some research and found out that i have to cut my carbs intake to about 50 to 100g a day !

I just started eating right for the past week and would like to know what i can do to still GAIN muscle but low BF %.

Thanks.

NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I'm gonna tell you a secret. So don't tell anybody else!

People who try to gain strictly muscle and no fat, or worse, trying to LOSE fat while gaining muscle... Usually get nowhere.

I'm gonna do you a huge favor and tell you to do something that will benefit you greatly.
    Google this: A Cold Slap in the Newbie Face Recover More, Grow More.
    It's an article on TNATION, and it's by Mark Rippetoe. Go read it, then come back onto this thread and tell me if your thoughts on this whole matter have changed any.

SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Equanimity94 View Post
    Hey,

I am a 17 almost 18 years old teen very interested in gaining muscle and redefining it if you know what I mean.

I am 163 pounds and 5'8 almost 5'9 and I don't know what my body fat percentage is but it look like its about 15 to 18%.

I would like to drop that as low as possible maybe even 8% if i can maintain that but 10% would be great.

I would like to know because i have done some research and found out that i have to cut my carbs intake to about 50 to 100g a day !

I just started eating right for the past week and would like to know what i can do to still GAIN muscle but low BF %.

Thanks.
    You don't need to cut out carbohydrates in order to decrease body fat.

Originally Posted by NoobyWhiteBelt View Post
    I'm gonna tell you a secret. So don't tell anybody else!

People who try to gain strictly muscle and no fat, or worse, trying to LOSE fat while gaining muscle... Usually get nowhere.

I'm gonna do you a huge favor and tell you to do something that will benefit you greatly.
    Google this: A Cold Slap in the Newbie Face Recover More, Grow More.
    It's an article on TNATION, and it's by Mark Rippetoe. Go read it, then come back onto this thread and tell me if your thoughts on this whole matter have changed any.
    That article is full of the typical Rippetoe BS. He is claiming that it is typical for someone to gain ~24 lbs of muscle inside of 4-5 months (40 lbs total if you account for fat gains as well) and that this would happen if you ate a ridiculously large number of Calories. Don't get me wrong, the man is a good "coach" when it comes to teaching proper technique. But he is a horrible dietitian and adds to many of the misconceptions that are currently believed in the general public. He is doing nothing more than playing a numbers game in that article that doesn't add up when viewed through the lens of reality.

NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by SumDumGoi View Post
    That article is full of the typical Rippetoe BS. He is claiming that it is typical for someone to gain ~24 lbs of muscle inside of 4-5 months (40 lbs total if you account for fat gains as well) and that this would happen if you ate a ridiculously large number of Calories. Don't get me wrong, the man is a good "coach" when it comes to teaching proper technique. But he is a horrible dietitian and adds to many of the misconceptions that are currently believed in the general public. He is doing nothing more than playing a numbers game in that article that doesn't add up when viewed through the lens of reality.
    That's what he tells you in the article. 5-6k calories per day. Which to be quite honest, isn't a ridiculous amount if you follow the guidelines he set. GOMAD, and 4 big meals. at 165-170 lbs, thats not a ridiculous amount to eat.

All hail Rippetoe!

Also, I was also going to tell you to stop counting your carbs but I didn't want to get yelled at by everyone in this forum. But since he said it, I'll say it too. Stop counting your carbs, they don't matter. If you're determined to change something related to carb intake, take them in about an hour before you lift. You'll have more energy that way anyways.

SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NoobyWhiteBelt View Post
    That's what he tells you in the article. 5-6k calories per day. Which to be quite honest, isn't a ridiculous amount if you follow the guidelines he set. GOMAD, and 4 big meals. at 165-170 lbs, thats not a ridiculous amount to eat.

All hail Rippetoe!

Also, I was also going to tell you to stop counting your carbs but I didn't want to get yelled at by everyone in this forum. But since he said it, I'll say it too. Stop counting your carbs, they don't matter. If you're determined to change something related to carb intake, take them in about an hour before you lift. You'll have more energy that way anyways.
    That IS a ridiculous amount. Yes, in order to gain muscle mass you need to eat more, but over doubling your Caloric requirement is unnecessary.