Spevryab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question The Tuna Question

So first thing's first, I eat A LOT of tuna on a daily basis to supplement my workouts (very rarely do I use powders). But here's the problem I'm having:

1.) I have begun eating a little more as I found out that you need to increase caloric intake to build muscle but all I find is myself getting bloated and definitely losing abs and the ol' belly sticks out a little more than I'd like. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be feeling this fat when eating more?

2.) Also, I like to go on very long runs (usually in the double digit mile ranges). How would that affect my attempts at building muscle?

Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kewbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I thought the tuna question was about mercury?

Originally Posted by Kewbrah View Post
    I thought the tuna question was about mercury?
    Hahahaha it's Tuna salad so I don't know how much of that there'd be in that.

kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50) kiloh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Spevryab View Post
    So first thing's first, I eat A LOT of tuna on a daily basis to supplement my workouts (very rarely do I use powders). But here's the problem I'm having:

1.) I have begun eating a little more as I found out that you need to increase caloric intake to build muscle but all I find is myself getting bloated and definitely losing abs and the ol' belly sticks out a little more than I'd like. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be feeling this fat when eating more?

2.) Also, I like to go on very long runs (usually in the double digit mile ranges). How would that affect my attempts at building muscle?
    Feeling fat after a big meal is perfectly normal. I'm bulking for instance and my first meal today post workout was around 2200 cals and I felt like a fat cow. Running is not needed if you are on a cut. You can cut through diet alone. Cardio is used to supplement your deficit. If you do it because you enjoy it thats great, but if your doing it to "burn fat" the same can be done through deficit alone. From reading your post it sounds like you are eating in a surplus so be careful with the cardio, it takes away from your surplus forcing you to eat even more to remain in a +. If you are eating at surplus (bulking) don't expect to keep abs. You WILL have some fat gain, it's unavoidable, unless you have amazing nutrient partitioning, which 75% of us do not. Don't worry about abs, just put mass on your frame (as cleanly as you can) then cut once you feel you have a strong base to do so.

Don't limit yourself to one protein source, there are tons of sources to choose from: Lean beef, ground turkey, whey protein, chicken, fish, eggs, shrimp...the list goes on and on and on. Protein is usually the easiest for me to fill (fats being the hardest when I'm trying to balance macros)

As a beginner you can actually eat at maintenance and build a good amount of LBM. I'd do that and switch to a clean bulk once the gains stop.

So once you put mass on your frame via eating THAT'S when you start working out/lifting etc.?

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So once you put mass on your frame via eating THAT'S when you start working out/lifting etc.?
    If you put "mass" on your frame before you start lifting, it's called fat.

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Came in for question about tuna. I am disappoint.

1. Your belly boats when you eat more.

2. Why are you running double digits when you're in a building phase? It's hard to squat and deadlift intensely the day of or after a 10+ mile run.

ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hahahaha it's Tuna salad so I don't know how much of that there'd be in that.
    it's in the tuna, which went into the salad... why would there not be much?

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ummme View Post
    it's in the tuna, which went into the salad... why would there not be much?

Because potato !

err, I mean the usual "people not applying common sense around here too much" stuff we see everyday

ETA: And as far as I can tell, there never was an actual question about tuna, despite the thread title. . .

Yeah I kinda got my thoughts jumbled up and asked every other question in my mind except the tuna thing. This whole nutrition business is a complicated science. Sucks.