Closed Thread
Page 81 of 325 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 181 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 9748
    davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidg1212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Switching over to this program starting tomorrow! I've been interested in it for a little while and have been looking more into the benefits of full body vs splits I've been doing a push/pull/legs. At first I tried to do one workout per day, then a rest day, then repeat, keeping a rest day between deadlifts and squats. But I with the heavy compounds incorporating most of the body, it started to feel like overtraining very quickly. Then I put a rest day between each workout and I was feeling like my muscles were recovering very quickly and idle for several days before being hit again, which is waste. My lifts have been going up due to newb gains but I feel like this workout will propel me further.

My workout log is in my sig.
    My Workout Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150797383

Currently using JasonDB's novice 5 x 5

TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey jason love the program..been doing it for around 2 months now and made great gains. i will post them later when i get home. I do have a question. how could i modify this routine to shorten the time it takes? i am alot more busy than i was the last two months and only have around an hour or so to lift. i was thinking make it 3x5 and accessory at 2x8 or 5x5 and whatever time i have left for accessories. Thanks in advance

Registered User Lightfighter214's Avatar
    Lightfighter214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I used to train really fast, just bc thats how I was taught. Now I've learned it's the heavier work loads that make your grow and in order to be able to hit all those reps with heavier weights you must rest at least 3 minutes on 5x5's. needless to say I'm growing again...like crazy

For calves, I do 3x20 every workout. Right now I'm partial to the seated calf raise, but I throw in standing every now and then

As for cardio, I brisk walk for an hour everyday. I get to eat more, it helps me burn off stored body fat, doesn't eat into my recovery, keeps my calorie burn high, and it's really therapeutic on many levels. I plan to start weighted vest walking again before too long. A personal best for me is 7.5 miles in a 25lb vest, that will kick anyones ass who's not conditioned for it.

My goal is a small waistline, and well built/defined muscular body like the guy's of the 1950's. my goal physsique is Armand Tanny, just in case anyone cares. Armand was everything a bodybuilder should be IMO, he was strong as ****, lean and ripped, and placed a high priority on whole natural foods. He was known for his raw meat diet and an extremely impressive one arm clean with 300lbs. The moment I saw a picture of Armand posing on the beach I said to myself, "I want to look exactly like him."
    I'm going to have to do some more research for calves, a couple of folks here have given me good ideas in this thread.

I plan on using this program MWF, but as far as cardio goes, I will do sprints Monday, elliptical Tuesday, sprints Wednesday, 5 mile walk Thursday, plyo on Friday. I will never, ever do weighted walks.I spent many years in a light infantry unit, and have ****ty knees, back, shoulder and feet because of it.

wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wtiger11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally Posted by lrd3 View Post
    P.S my gf (also 36 next month) is on week 3 of this routine on a 10% cal surplus.... KILLING IT
    my son 15 years old is eating everything in his path running this routine and swelling up like a animal. and recovers wicked fast.... dam his youth lol
    Don't we wish we could have started this at your son's age so we could grow like weeds! My next lifting day is tomorrow, time to get serious and switch to 5x5 & 3x8 with my current weights.

P.S. your GF probably lifts more than me!

BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dohste View Post
    Just out of curiosity how long does a session take you with this routine?

I'm managing it in 1hr15min at the moment, but I only started last week and so with the weights I'm using now I can manage ok with 90 sec rests. Really can't afford the extra time it might take though when rest periods go up to 3 min - I get to the gym at 06:30 (when it opens) and have to leave to get to work on time, so 75 min is really the longest I can do. I'm thinking I might just stick to 90 sec breaks and that it will just result in me having to reset earlier than would otherwise be the case...
    now that **** is getting heavy, it takes me hour and a half minimum, 2 hours max. then i do 30minutes slow cardio. you can get away with little rest at first, but you will not hit all your reps on the compunds if you dont take the full 3 minutes

Mattchine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and it's a great program, however I feel as if I'm not using my 4 off days optimally. Could adding in an arm day hamper my gains? If so how?

ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have been doing cutting version since 12/31. I decided to try the full 5x5 and 3x8 today just to see what's up. Like it even more. B workout today, gonna try A workout 5x5 Wednesday. Thanks everyone for posting updates. It's cool to see issues others are having and you know what to do if it happens to you. Good luck to everyone!

TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigOleBitties is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok as i said earlier...here is an update that i got from this program. I was also running 12+ miles a week and playing basketball 2 hours a week. i did suffer a knee contusion in basketball though so i havent been doing squats or the running recently. but deadlifts dont seem to aggetate my knee. hoping to get squats back in the mix soon.

Squats 120-160
    bench 140-165
    deadlift 160-270
    rows 115-145
    press 90-110
    shrugs 95-145
    curls 70-90
    cgbp 105-135
    skuls 40-60
    chinups bwx3 - bwx6

everything seems to be progressing and i make sure i have good form. my ohp and bp seem to be getting harder than anything else, im 6'1 and have pretty long arms, i just recently upped my calories though too so i will update my stats in about a month and see where im at

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mattchine View Post
    I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and it's a great program, however I feel as if I'm not using my 4 off days optimally. Could adding in an arm day hamper my gains? If so how?
    As Jason has explained in other videos, muscle protein synthesis is elevated significantly approximately 48 hours after your workout, thereby making it optimal to train each muscle group three times per week, or every second day. Every week, you do incline curls and skullcrushers 3 times, there's no need for additional arm work.

Instead, I'd do some flexibility/mobility work. Jason recommended Joe DeFranco's Agile 8 to me, try that for hip flexibility. Try Smittydiesel's 3-minute shoulder warmup, too.

Mattchine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alexanderberg View Post
    As Jason has explained in other videos, muscle protein synthesis is elevated significantly approximately 48 hours after your workout, thereby making it optimal to train each muscle group three times per week, or every second day. Every week, you do incline curls and skullcrushers 3 times, there's no need for additional arm work.

Instead, I'd do some flexibility/mobility work. Jason recommended Joe DeFranco's Agile 8 to me, try that for hip flexibility. Try Smittydiesel's 3-minute shoulder warmup, too.
    I appreciate the advice, I'll just do the program as prescribed.

weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb No squat rack!! What would fit this program?

So, I now have no more gym membership and workout in my garage. I have no rack to do my squats, so I'm thinking of what I can do instead.
    I have tried to unrack it from my bench but I have to bend too much that it might snap my back when going heavy..

What substitute can I look at? I can do leg curls and leg extensions(I got a multigym station).
    And of course, dumbbell squats, hack squats, Zercher, Jefferssons, (lunges?<3).. Front squats using the clean exercise to get it up, which I hardly enjoy though..
    Incorporate sumo deadlift and do leg extensions+some lunges? There's so many variations..

What would be the best?
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBZCr0EuhY

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wtiger11 View Post
    Don't we wish we could have started this at your son's age so we could grow like weeds! My next lifting day is tomorrow, time to get serious and switch to 5x5 & 3x8 with my current weights.

P.S. your GF probably lifts more than me!
    lol.. i actually did start at his age... i just stopped when i thought i was "done" about 20 years latter i woke up fat and out of shape..
    im kinda hooked now. im now stronger than i ever been. (pathetic as that is) and pushing for more...
    i actually owe my re-found love of the iron to my son. he started lifting and dragging out a bunch of my old weights. i went out to watch him lift one day and said.. "let me see what i can do" = man i shattered my ego........ that was it. i got off my lazy a$$ found my way to these boards and am not looking back....
    keep at it bud being old doesn't mean we cant keep growing
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #28 -!!!---!!!-
    *** ice cream and iron crew # 3 ***

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by weppe View Post
    So, I now have no more gym membership and workout in my garage. I have no rack to do my squats, so I'm thinking of what I can do instead.
    I have tried to unrack it from my bench but I have to bend too much that it might snap my back when going heavy..

What substitute can I look at? I can do leg curls and leg extensions(I got a multigym station).
    And of course, dumbbell squats, hack squats, Zercher, Jefferssons, (lunges?<3).. Front squats using the clean exercise to get it up, which I hardly enjoy though..
    Incorporate sumo deadlift and do leg extensions+some lunges? There's so many variations..

What would be the best?
    take the money you save by not paying for the gym and shop for a rack..... build one if need be

Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am traning like 2 years . Don't have some good gains for those 2 years becouse of little knowledge . Never did same program like this . I am about to start this program . How long should i stick to it and is it good for cutting ?

douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000)
    are barbell rows pulled to hips

Originally Posted by Kekoo View Post
    I am traning like 2 years . Don't have some good gains for those 2 years becouse of little knowledge . Never did same program like this . I am about to start this program . How long should i stick to it and is it good for cutting ?
    stick to the modified cut version for as long as your body can keep up. or you reach your goals.

Originally Posted by douglasmich View Post
    are barbell rows pulled to hips
    i aim for mid point between belly button and nipples...

m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Loved this workout the first time i tried A and B, was curious if this workout is able to be done 4x a week at maybe a ON/ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF or doing it 3x, and something on a 4th day... im a 4 day a week kinda guy for the gym, but i dont want to use the 4th day for just cardio or abs (do enough of that in the morning for PT)

thanks in advance
    - US Army - 19D - OEF 11/12
    - Currently running 531 and highly recommend it
    - Last weigh in : 181lbs
    - Goal weight : 190lbs (bulking)

NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotADeltaBravo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by m0nkeh24 View Post
    Loved this workout the first time i tried A and B, was curious if this workout is able to be done 4x a week at maybe a ON/ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF or doing it 3x, and something on a 4th day... im a 4 day a week kinda guy for the gym, but i dont want to use the 4th day for just cardio or abs (do enough of that in the morning for PT)

thanks in advance
    You shouldn't be running this program on consecutive days, specially as your progress and are hitting PR on your squat every workout... you just won't be able to squat that heavy two days in a row.

Trying running it as recommended and throw in some GPP work once a week so you're getting in a workout 4x a week.

Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100)
    Anyone else get pain in collarbone / AC join from doing heavy shrugs ? Thinking of dropping them for a while . Not sure if bench press or shrugs caused it . However I just added shrugs in a couple of weeks ago so Im thinking shrugs .

Only noticed the pain a few hours after so I guess no major sheit snaped . Also I did lean forward a bit ( rounding shoulders ) on one set of shrugs instead of shruging 100% vertical which mightve put more pressure on AC joint.

larouse93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok guys so i've been working out seriously since about may of last year. Am i still considered a novice? and if so would this routine be ideal for me having put in a good 8 months in already? If it helps any, I am originally an ectomorph and have gained a good 15 lbs (relatively lean) from all my noob gains. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me

fabiocaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabiocaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't get any pain during shrugs.However,I do NOT rotate the shoulder,it goes up and down ONLY.A couple of other guys in the gym doing shrugs experience pain but they rotate their shoulders during the exercise

Also,for those who get sciatic nerve pain(pain in the lower back,butt and down the leg) with this program or any similar program in which they are squating with high frequency,it probably originates in squating with tight hamstrings.
    This stretch immedietly relieved the annoyance and my squats felt "better" and more stable when deep.
    Since I cannot embed or post a link yet,here's the name of the video to look it up on youtube!

"The Best Hamstring Stretch Ever" - BHSE

fabiocaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabiocaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by larouse93 View Post
    Ok guys so i've been working out seriously since about may of last year. Am i still considered a novice? and if so would this routine be ideal for me having put in a good 8 months in already? If it helps any, I am originally an ectomorph and have gained a good 15 lbs (relatively lean) from all my noob gains. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me
    What are your strength standards?Maybe posting them would help experienced people here give you more info

TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheHotLoft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Starting this tomorrow AM - how long do you guys find it takes to complete each workout assuming you don't have to wait for equipment?

Also for a few nights of the week I stay in a hotel with work and while the gym is equipped to complete the workout there is limited height for overhead press, I can do it with smaller plates but once I up my weights and need to use larger plates I'm going to be in trouble - how detrimental will it be to switch out to a seated press?
    www.thehotloft.co.uk

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by weppe View Post

What would be the best?
    Build a squat rack, bro! Just Google around to find a tutorial or something. There probably are some on this forum, too.

douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000) douglasmich is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a hamstring quad imbalance

Do I add leg curls

Do I add leg curls
    Do low-bar squats.

Edit: Hamstrings are of the big movers in the deadlift, too. I don't think there's need for additional hamstring work.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Do I add leg curls
    No keep deadlifting heavy and if need be widen your stance on your squats and make sure you hitting depth. Wider stance works more hamstring.

Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    No keep deadlifting heavy and if need be widen your stance on your squats and make sure you hitting depth. Wider stance works more hamstring.
    i do high bar squats btw. thanks for replying. if i feel deadlifts in more back than hamstring does that mean my hamstrings are stronger than back?

and why would it hurt to do 2 sets of leg curls once a week

Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    thanks, i go ATG

if you where wondering my stats. I have trained for 7 months, i used a brosplit at the start then an upper lower, than push pull legs. I wanted real gains so i chose this and its perfect. Already put 10kg on all lifts

bench- 80kg 5x5
    squat- 100kg 5x5
    deadlift 120kg 5x5

im 6ft 184lbs at 10% ( finished a cut)

Closed Thread
Page 81 of 325 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 181 ... LastLast