Closed Thread
Page 1 of 325 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

My Novice 5x5 For Bodybuilders.

Manu (PBateman2) said I should post there here for you guys in my log... so I present to you a 5x5 based program for the novice (1st year of serious training) bodybuilder to build both a size and strength foundation with balanced development.

Progressive overload, resets, technique basic points are covered in the video:

Ice Cream Fitness Novice 5x5 Fullbody

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Barbell Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 3x8
    Chins 3x5-8
    or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
    Hyperextention 2x10
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
    CGBP 3x8
    Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions, however many of them may be answered in the video.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Looks good mate. Nobody will be complaining about lack of volume either hehe

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Looks good mate. Nobody will be complaining about lack of volume either hehe
    The primary valid complains against programs like SL5x5 (or even SS) are:
    1) Overall volume a little too low for optimal hypertrophy.
    2) Lack of direct arm work... fine for sports, this will cause imbalances for many novice would-be bodybuilders.
    3) Not enough core work.

So I've attempted to address these issues with my own version of a foundation building novice routine.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    The primary valid complains against programs like SL5x5 (or even SS) are:
    1) Overall volume a little too low for optimal hypertrophy.
    2) Lack of direct arm work... fine for sports, this will cause imbalances for many novice would-be bodybuilders.
    3) Not enough core work.

So I've attempted to address these issues with my own version of a foundation building novice routine.
    1. That's because SL/SS are strength routines not bodybuilding/hypertrophy routines. A very common mistake that beginners make.
    2. No need for beginners to have direct arm work...pressing, rowing and benching heavier and heavier along with eating in a surplus will make their arms grow
    3. bench, squats, rows, deads and ohp all work your cioe and you should be doing at least weighted sit ups 3x a week on SL/SS as well.

Personally, I don't like it...but that's me. I could see how a beginner who doesn't want to just bench, dead, squat and ohp all the time would go for it. I'd rather a beginner focus on the basics and add all the fluff in after they get a solid foundation.
    OG

bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    1. That's because SL/SS are strength routines not bodybuilding/hypertrophy routines. A very common mistake that beginners make.
    2. No need for beginners to have direct arm work...pressing, rowing and benching heavier and heavier along with eating in a surplus will make their arms grow
    3. bench, squats, rows, deads and ohp all work your cioe and you should be doing at least weighted sit ups 3x a week on SL/SS as well.

Personally, I don't like it...but that's me. I could see how a beginner who doesn't want to just bench, dead, squat and ohp all the time would go for it. I'd rather a beginner focus on the basics and add all the fluff in after they get a solid foundation.
    this plus mabey its just me but after previously running a similar routine after heavy squat, bench and rows all 5x5, i was pretty ****ed lol. i couldnt see myself doing another 5 exercises.

The argument could be made the SL is a hypertrophy routine... you aren't doing to see any powerlifting champions training on 5x5 sets across leading up to a meet. This style of training was invented by bodybuilders... however there are the other issues that can be leveled against SL. SS is of course a novice strength program. Very good at its intended goal, not 100% ideal for those seeking hypertrophy.

Core if often the limiting factor in movements like squats and half the kids I see doing SS or SL have no core strength/stability and their squats look piss poor accordingly. I don't consider it optional for these individuals. As to the arm work, it is added at the end. While I am 100% a fan of using compounds for most of one's development, only a minority of lifters (less than half) can build balanced arm development (particularly biceps) exclusively with compounds. Some can, more can't. Therefore this needs to be addressed for novice lifters seeking hypertrophy, size, balance and have general bodybuilding goals. Given that most young men idolize arms, if their routine isn't yielding the bicep and tricep develop they desire, there is a higher chance they will drop it for some fluff and pump program.

They are of course done... at the end... after the more critical work. As long as it is does not contribute to chronic over-reaching can you name a single negative to adding in some curls or skull crushers at the end? Is it going to impede growth or strength? If anything the extra tricep work has the potential to improve the bench and the press.

Originally Posted by bravo96 View Post
    this plus mabey its just me but after previously running a similar routine after heavy squat, bench and rows all 5x5, i was pretty ****ed lol. i couldnt see myself doing another 5 exercises.
    The body adapts quickly to increasing workload. You started that way, you would be surprised how quickly you could adapt to the addition lifts. This is by no means a high volume program by any bodybuilding standard. Furthermore those with hypertrophy/bodybuilding aspirations need to be gaining both strength as well as conditioning/tolerance to exercise.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The argument could be made the SL is a hypertrophy routine... you aren't doing to see any powerlifting champions training on 5x5 sets across leading up to a meet. This style of training was invented by bodybuilders... however there are the other issues that can be leveled against SL. SS is of course a novice strength program. Very good at its intended goal, not 100% ideal for those seeking hypertrophy.

Core if often the limiting factor in movements like squats and half the kids I see doing SS or SL have no core strength/stability and their squats look piss poor accordingly. I don't consider it optional for these individuals. As to the arm work, it is added at the end. While I am 100% a fan of using compounds for most of one's development, only a minority of lifters (less than half) can build balanced arm development (particularly biceps) exclusively with compounds. Some can, more can't. Therefore this needs to be addressed for novice lifters seeking hypertrophy, size, balance and have general bodybuilding goals. Given that most young men idolize arms, if their routine isn't yielding the bicep and tricep develop they desire, there is a higher chance they will drop it for some fluff and pump program.

They are of course done... at the end... after the more critical work. As long as it is does not contribute to chronic over-reaching can you name a single negative to adding in some curls or skull crushers at the end? Is it going to impede growth or strength? If anything the extra tricep work has the potential to improve the bench and the press.
    Hypertrophy happens in all rep ranges...which one are you going for? Myo or scaro?

Actually the limiting factor in squats for a beginner is more form related than core related. I hardly, if ever, do any core work yet I max squat 320, bench 230 and dead 400

Powerlifters ramp up...which is what intermediate routines do because they can handle heavier loads. No reason for a noob to ramp up when they have a max bench of say 100lbs....hence 5x5 straight across.

Beginner don;t know when enough is enough. rather they hit the basics and worry about the rest much later.

But...link I said that's me. I could see why a rank noob would love a program like this as opposed to the actual SL/SS program.
    OG

Hypertrophy happens in all rep ranges...which one are you going for? Myo or scaro?

Actually the limiting factor in squats for a beginner is more form related than core related. I hardly, if ever, do any core work yet I max squat 320, bench 230 and dead 400

Powerlifters ramp up...which is what intermediate routines do because they can handle heavier loads. No reason for a noob to ramp up when they have a max bench of say 100lbs....hence 5x5 straight across.

Beginner don;t know when enough is enough. rather they hit the basics and worry about the rest much later.

But...link I said that's me. I could see why a rank noob would love a program like this as opposed to the actual SL/SS program.
    Show me data proving that sacroplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy happen 100% independant of each other in any rep range (or how you can accordingly train exclusively for one or the other). You do realize it is still an unproven theory (possibly a valid one) that different rep ranges or trying styles produce measurably different ratios of myofibrillar to sacroplasmic growth?

At what point in any video I have ever made, or in this thread, have I implied that hypertrophy, of either type, happens in exclusively one rep range? Strawman argument.

So you have a problem with the novice focusing on the basics at the start of every session and still doing critical core and a small amount of aesthetic work at the end... when their long-term goals are physique goals? Furthermore the core and tricep work will improve performance for many lifters on the primary movements even in the novice stage. I specified in the threat title that this is for prospective bodybuilders who seek to build a foundation.

I don't think SS or SL fully address the needs of the novice bodybuilder. They are not bad programs but they are lacking things, hince why I made this video when a subscriber requested it.
    Last edited by JasonDB; 09-10-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Show me data proving that sacroplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy happen 100% independant of each other in any rep range (or how you can accordingly train exclusively for one or the other). You do realize it is still an unproven theory (possibly a valid one) that different rep ranges or trying styles produce measurably different ratios of myofibrillar to sacroplasmic growth?

At what point in any video I have ever made, or in this thread, have I implied that hypertrophy, of either type, happens in exclusively one rep range? Strawman argument.

So you have a problem with the novice focusing on the basics at the start of every session and still doing critical core and a small amount of aesthetic work at the end... when their long-term goals are physique goals? Furthermore the core and tricep work will improve performance for many lifters on the primary movements even in the novice stage. I specified in the threat title that this is for prospective bodybuilders who seek to build a foundation.

I don't think SS or SL fully address the needs of the novice bodybuilder. They are not bad programs but they are lacking things, hince why I made this video when a subscriber requested it.
    I don;t have a problem with them doing iso work after the basics...I just don't feel that it is needed right away in the beginning, maybe a few months down the road when their lifts are a bit higher. But the best way for a beginner to get bigger arms...press, bench and row heavy and eat in a surplus. Iso is good...but not needed.

SS and SL are not bodybuilder programs...and a trainee that has goals of bodybuilding shouldn't be doing that kind of program.

When we talk of hypertrophy in this aspect, especially for beginner, we are talking about scaro 8-12 rep range.
    OG

I don;t have a problem with them doing iso work after the basics...I just don't feel that it is needed right away in the beginning, maybe a few months down the road when their lifts are a bit higher. But the best way for a beginner to get bigger arms...press, bench and row heavy and eat in a surplus. Iso is good...but not needed.
    I stated up front this routine is suitable for a rank novice or anyone with up to one year of hard consistent training experience. Most lifters are not intermediates after 6 months. I don't feel the needs of a trainee change very much for the first year other than they might have a slower rate of linear progressive overload. I think the movements I listed are needed for a bodybuilding novice running this type of program.... and for many it will improve their numbers on the big 3.

SS and SL are not bodybuilder programs...and a trainee that has goals of bodybuilding shouldn't be doing that kind of program.
    Agree on SS... but SL is a sets across 5x5... this is exclusively bodybuilding as 5x5's set across or with very minimal ramping were designed by bodybuilders. Powerlifts almost never train in such a manner other than sometimes for their hypertrophy work. You think 5x5 sets across is not hypertrophy focused or for bodybuilding? Not sure if srs.

When we talk of hypertrophy in this aspect, especially for beginner, we are talking about scaro 8-12 rep range.
    Again the idea that different rep ranges promote myfibrillar vs sacroplasmic growth in different ratios is only hypothetical (again it might be valid but it remains unproven). It hasn't been successfully or consistently demonstrated yet. Had you said transient storage factors then maybe you would have had a point, but you implied sacroplasmic growth.

I stated up front this routine is suitable for a rank novice or anyone with up to one year of hard consistent training experience. Most lifters are not intermediates after 6 months. I don't feel the needs of a trainee change very much for the first year other than they might have a slower rate of linear progressive overload. I think the movements I listed are needed for a bodybuilding novice running this type of program.... and for many it will improve their numbers on the big 3.

Agree on SS... but SL is a sets across 5x5... this is exclusively bodybuilding as 5x5's set across or with very minimal ramping were designed by bodybuilders. Powerlifts almost never train in such a manner other than sometimes for their hypertrophy work. You think 5x5 sets across is not hypertrophy focused or for bodybuilding? Not sure if srs.

Again the idea that different rep ranges promote myfibrillar vs sacroplasmic growth in different ratios is only hypothetical (again it might be valid but it remains unproven). It hasn't been successfully or consistently demonstrated yet. Had you said transient storage factors then maybe you would have had a point, but you implied sacroplasmic growth.
    The best way to improve your big 3 for a beginner is to keep doing them. Hard to know what your sticking points are when you are only benching 135 for 5 reps. The other stuff will improve your bench, no doubt....but is it needed for a beginner, no. The just need to do what Dave Tate suggest...fcuking bench.

SL 5x5 is not a bodybuilder program. It's a rip off of SS with some great marketing. Which when you stall on SL you drop to a 3x5 then to a 1x5 after 2 deloads. Hell just run 3x5. SL is like pre-SS. Also the best and well know 5x5 for bodybuilding is Reg Parks'...and even that is not a 5x5. It's 2 warm ups(60 and 80%) and 3x5 straight across...which is exactly what SS is 2 warm ups and them 3x5 straight across.

If your case for hypertrophy is right...and I feel it is not...then everyone would be looking like Ronnie Coleman after running SS. Different rep ranges produce different hypertrophy. In the case of a bodybuilder, scaroplamic growth is what they look for. 8-12 reps. You'll notice on the chart how scaroplamic hypertrophy growth(size) happen in the 8-12 rep range, while Myofibrillar growth(strength) happen in 5 or less. You will not get bodybuilder big doing 3x5.
    OG

Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000)
    If your case for hypertrophy is right...and I feel it is not...then everyone would be looking like Ronnie Coleman after running SS. Different rep ranges produce different hypertrophy. In the case of a bodybuilder, scaroplamic growth is what they look for. 8-12 reps. You'll notice on the chart how scaroplamic hypertrophy growth(size) happen in the 8-12 rep range, while Myofibrillar growth(strength) happen in 5 or less. You will not get bodybuilder big doing 3x5.
    Comparing bodybuildiers who are on grams and grams of gear/peptides/factors a week with the average gym rat is pretty stupid. 5x5 is a great way to build your strength up. The faster you can move heavier weight the faster you can work with heavier weight in the 8-12 rep range.

Laughing at people who think they will get a chest benching 135 for 12 reps... Get to benching 315 for 5 as fast as possible so you can do rep work with 250-275.

Originally Posted by Phrak View Post
    5x5 is a great way to build your strength up. The faster you can move heavier weight the faster you can work with heavier weight in the 8-12 rep range.
    I agree.

I'm not the one saying that 5x5 is a bodybuilder program...OP is.
    OG

Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree.

I'm not the one saying that 5x5 is a bodybuilder program...OP is.
    No 5x5 is a body building routine, it also helps increase strength at a faster rate than 12's. A train effect starts at 60%, I work 5's up all the time, then do maybe one drop set. My point being is to many beginners are doing their hyper work with weight that doenst matter.

Also why cant a noob ramp up?

No 5x5 is a body building routine, it also helps increase strength. A train effect starts at 60%, I work 5's up all the time, then do maybe one drop set. My point being is to many beginners are doing their hyper work with weight that doenst matter.
    It's primally a strength program. If you want to pack on muscle size you need to lift in the 8-12 range.

Now...I do agree that have a solid strength base will make for bigger size gains...and in that case a 5x5 is good for that. But it is not a bodybuilder routine.
    OG

No 5x5 is a body building routine, it also helps increase strength at a faster rate than 12's. A train effect starts at 60%, I work 5's up all the time, then do maybe one drop set. My point being is to many beginners are doing their hyper work with weight that doenst matter.

Also why cant a noob ramp up?
    Bingo, thanks for chiming in my friend. Now let's watch people argue with a champion PL about if a program is bodybuilding or powerlifting. People read starting strength, lift for one year and suddenly become experts in bodybuilding and powerlifting both on this forum.

While 5x5s do increase neural effeciency to help increase workload on higher rep sets as well, no doubt, 5x5 protocols themself, particularly in the novice, can induce just as much myofibrillar and sacroplasmic hypertrophy as doing 3x8-12 can, and with the faster rate of progression, and more resistence, with similar times under tension potentially more. The higher rep work becomes clearly superior for transient storage factors which do play a large role in muscle size (just not the contractile proteins, myobibrillar or organelles of the muscle cell... which is sacroplasmic)... however the novice will frequently gain size far more quickly overall by using a program with a balance of strength and workload (hince 5x5 vs 3x5). Those without a proper strength base will often struggle to gain size at an appreciable rate using what is often refered to as "the hypertrophy range" (I cover the problems with this in other videos), due to the inability to create enough overload... and more advanced bodybuilers who stay natural will often experience more frequent stalls if they train exclusively with higher reps, due to again a reduced capacity to generate progressive overload. It would be unwise for a natural bodybuilder of any level of experience to completely exclude 6 rep and lower sets for prolonged periods of time.

Another reason for using 5's is listed in this article.

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-many-r...-build-muscle/

Being able to recover faster will allow you to attack the muscles again faster, which means your weekly volume will go up.

Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Jason K I disagree ..you don't need to lift in the 8-12 range to build muscle..I am a lifetime natty and last year I did a tonne of 5x5 work and built some great size along with strength...and as JasonDB has stated many bodybuilders in the old days trained exclusively with a 5x5 routine and built fantastic physiques doing so. Not sure why so many people feel that hypertrophy can ONLY take place in this magical 8-12 rep range???

Originally Posted by Milone79 View Post
    Jason K I disagree ..you don't need to lift in the 8-12 range to build muscle..I am a lifetime natty and last year I did a tonne of 5x5 work and built some great size along with strength...and as JasonDB has stated many bodybuilders in the old days trained exclusively with a 5x5 routine and built fantastic physiques doing so. Not sure why so many people feel that hypertrophy can ONLY take place in this magical 8-12 rep range???
    Hypertrophy happens in all rep ranges.

Not saying that you have to train in only the 8-12 range. Everyone needs a mix of all ranges. You will get SOME size in 5 rep range...but not optimal. Just as you will get some strength in the 8-12 range...but not optimal.

Get stronger in the 5 rep ranges and do more volume work in the 8-12 range. I personally train with BOTH ranges in the same workout.

For a beginner though I'd rather they get stronger first and worry about growth/size later...when they can handle heavier loads for more reps.
    OG

Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vitek92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's primally a strength program. If you want to pack on muscle size you need to lift in the 8-12 range.

Now...I do agree that have a solid strength base will make for bigger size gains...and in that case a 5x5 is good for that. But it is not a bodybuilder routine.
    Riiiight.

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Not saying that you have to train in only the 8-12 range. Everyone needs a mix of all ranges. You will get SOME size in 5 rep range...but not optimal. Just as you will get some strength in the 8-12 range...but not optimal.

Get stronger in the 5 rep ranges and do more volume work in the 8-12 range. I personally train with BOTH ranges in the same workout.

For a beginner though I'd rather they get stronger first and worry about growth/size later...when they can handle heavier loads for more reps.
    Volume is not even an issue with JDBs program, the rep range and poundage a trainee will use will equate to a massive load moved over the week timeframe versus someone who is doing it "optimally" in the 8-12.

I hate to be a dick, but why are you giving your own routine as an example when your numbers for s/b/d are so low?
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

The problem is that you seem to have this mistaken idea that one must be compromised for the other for the novice.

I'm going to level with you, with all due respect, you don't seem to have a great deal of experience, your lifts are barely indicative of someone who has been lifting for 1-1.5 years hard, probably haven't trained may other individuals and you are arguing with me (someone who has trained bodybuilders and other various individuals for well over a decade, has had 20" arms before, benched 475 raw, squatted 585 raw for reps, and studied a great deal of exercise science and nutrition science while at university), with Nico (a professional natural bodybuilder) and Phrak (a championship winning powerlifter) about strength vs hypertrophy, powerlifting vs bodybuilding. You have some experience and clearly have read a couple books... but have you considered that maybe you don't actually have a clear understanding of how to develop size or strength in individuals at various levels of experience? Or what the focus(s) of people should be at different stages in regards to achieving specific goals effeciently and effectively?

You are free to post on this forum as you please, believe as you please and speak your mind, but I don't think you would be able to set up a program that would achieve the same results as what I just put up for the intended audience (prospective bodybuilders seeking to build a foundation who have less than one year of consistent training experience), and you are arguing some points that are quite frankly absurd.

For example the mere fact that you actually believe there are tight specific rep ranges (8-12 in this case) that produce superior hypertrophy to other rep ranges regardless of the context of volume, workload, workload capacity of the individual, neural strength of the individual, or rate of progression. I'm telling you that in terms of tissue hypertrophy, not transient storage factors, 5x5 based protocols are capable of producing at least equal, and in some cases superior, hypertrophy when compred to the same exercises done for 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets when applied over time, even more so when more than one exercise is applied that stresses the same muscle(s) in question.

Originally Posted by Vitek92 View Post
    Riiiight.
    He doesn't realize that after spend 10 months in bed and starting with needing a spotter to bench the bar again for a single... that in 14 months I'm bigger and stronger than him, using primarly 5x5 for my hypertrophy work during non-cutting phases. I've only added 10 rep work in the last 5 weeks and am about to cut it back down to 8 for those days.

Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    Volume is not even an issue with JDBs program, the rep range and poundage a trainee will use will equate to a massive load moved over the week timeframe versus someone who is doing it "optimally" in the 8-12.

I hate to be a dick, but why are you giving your own routine as an example when your numbers for s/b/d are so low?
    Clearly my workloads, becuase they are not 10 rep sets, prescribed for the novice can't produce large amounts, or even optimal/maximum amounts, of hypertrophy.
    Last edited by JasonDB; 09-10-2012 at 08:03 AM.

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IMO 5x5 allows for more consistent progressive overload. Also, when you compare 3x8 to 5x5, you are getting similar volume but with 5x5 you are using a heavier weight, thus using more muscle fibers. You mentioned Reg Parks 5x5 yourself and he was a bodybuilder, and a successful one. Obviously both rep ranges yield results and there is no single right way of training, but saying 5x5 is not hypertrophy related is wrong IMO. And rank novices do tend to gain size on SS initially.

I do agree however that in the first 3-6month of training that SS alone will be enough but I think Jason addresses the fact that it is for someone who is training close to a year and would need more volume than SS or SL alone provide.

Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post

I never mentioned anything about my routine...

Though I am on 5/3/1 and mid way through my 2ND cycle.

Not sure about them being that low. @ 181 a 320/225/400 are Intermediate weights...not bad for starting back in Feb 2012 from a 5 year hiatus due to a war related injuries/surgical operations to both my legs.
    OG

auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000)
    This looks quite interesting. I may use this to follow up my current run of SS. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
    Bleed success. Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend. – Jim Wendler.

4/24/14 I was one of the 337 unfortunate souls. Never forget.

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not sure about them being that low. @ 181 a 320/225/400 are Intermediate weights...not bad for starting back in Feb 2012 from a 5 year hiatus due to a war related injuries/surgical operations to both my legs.
    Are they in Kg or lbs? 1rep max?

Originally Posted by auriga View Post
    This looks quite interesting. I may use this to follow up my current run of SS. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
    This is exactly the type of person who the video is targeted at IMO. Someone who is looking for the next step after their initial 3-6month of SS.

MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrCarl. is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Manu (PBateman2) said I should post there here for you guys in my log... so I present to you a 5x5 based program for the novice (1st year of serious training) bodybuilder to build both a size and strength foundation with balanced development.

Progressive overload, resets, technique basic points are covered in the video:

Ice Cream Fitness Novice 5x5 Fullbody

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Barbell Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 3x8
    Chins 3x5-8
    or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
    Hyperextention 2x10

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
    CGBP 3x8
    Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions, however many of them may be answered in the video.
    My roommate is eager to put on some weight so I am putting him on this programme with plenty of eating. He's 5*9 and weighs 158lbs. In for the noob gains! Will report back.
    Log to athleticism and aesthetics: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142760141

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

Always repping back.

Originally Posted by germaine07 View Post
    Are they in Kg or lbs? 1rep max?
    Pounds 1RM all completed in July's USAPL Star's and Stripes PL. Signed up for Nov 3Rd's USAPL Iron Lion in State College, Pa.
    OG

Originally Posted by auriga View Post
    Originally Posted by germaine07 View Post
    This is exactly the type of person who the video is targeted at IMO. Someone who is looking for the next step after their initial 3-6month of SS.
    Yep my intended audience. This program will work for the rank novice just fine (oh noes it has curls though), but an individual such as Auriga who has done a run or two of something like SS who has bodybuilding goals, but is not yet a true intermediate lifter, would benefit heavily from this program.

Originally Posted by MrCarl. View Post
    My roommate is eager to put on some weight so I am putting him on this programme with plenty of eating. He's 5*9 and weighs 158lbs. In for the noob gains! Will report back.
    Put him on a 500 calorie surplus and he will grow like a weed.