Closed Thread
Page 25 of 325 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast
    Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ferello View Post
    Hi jason i see many ways to perform the cable crunch on youtube, do you have a video you could link me that shows it in its most effective form? cheers.
    Originally Posted by shmern View Post
    been doing this routine for a few weeks and loving it, making great gains on all lifts except my chest. i am making gains to chest, but not proportional to the gains im making elsewhere. would adding another chest exercise be advisable? and on which day?
    This is one I have for static crunches.

They can be done very effectively for a full ROM with TRX straps or similar devices.

The first thing you need to do is check your technique on all of your pressing (bench, cgbp and ohp) to ensure that you are doing them in a manner that gives proper chest stimulation. On a balanced routine if all lifts are executed correctly a novice shouldn't develop imbalances for quite a while.

Originally Posted by Mak1n View Post
    Hi Jason, there are tons of instuctional videos on youtube, but I'm still not sure about my Squat and Deadlift techniques which are most injury-risk. Which videos would you recommend to master Squat/Deadlift. I don't want ask personal trainers in gym because I don't trust them.
    Watch this videos in the OP of this thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=145167521

Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    This is one I have for static crunches.

They can be done very effectively for a full ROM with TRX straps or similar devices.

The first thing you need to do is check your technique on all of your pressing (bench, cgbp and ohp) to ensure that you are doing them in a manner that gives proper chest stimulation. On a balanced routine if all lifts are executed correctly a novice shouldn't develop imbalances for quite a while.

Watch this videos in the OP of this thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=145167521
    Looks good, do these can be used instead of the kneeling ones i guess?

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks good, do these can be used instead of the kneeling ones i guess?
    If you are so inclined but keep in mind they are very much an isolation movement specifically to help with squating and don't work as many additional muscles or the full rom the kneeling ones can unless you do them full rom.

ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    3 weeks done, definitely starting to get difficult. I'm just hoping that I won't have to deload any time soon!

Originally Posted by ajsat23 View Post
    3 weeks done, definitely starting to get difficult. I'm just hoping that I won't have to deload any time soon!
    The individual weight resets should make things managable as it gets more difficult. If you are really struggling as you can go 10-15% on the resets, start leaning towards the 15% on them. Again as long as the general trend is towards progression large resets on some of the lifts will not impact overall progress. This program has enough carry over that most muscle groups will still be getting enough growth stimulation to grow even if their primary lift was just reset.

ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The individual weight resets should make things managable as it gets more difficult. If you are really struggling as you can go 10-15% on the resets, start leaning towards the 15% on them. Again as long as the general trend is towards progression large resets on some of the lifts will not impact overall progress. This program has enough carry over that most muscle groups will still be getting enough growth stimulation to grow even if their primary lift was just reset.
    Good, and thanks for the reply, that is reassuring to know.

JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gonna start doing your routine next week. Is it ok if I do front squats on workout B and do plyometrics after working out? Reason I do plyos is that i'm working on my vertical jump

Originally Posted by JedDaIron View Post
    Gonna start doing your routine next week. Is it ok if I do front squats on workout B and do plyometrics after working out? Reason I do plyos is that i'm working on my vertical jump
    I would rather people stick with back squats at first (I tend to start adding front squats for intermediates) unless you have a specific reason for doing them. Any program should be flexible enough for specific needs particularly for those with various athletic goals. As it is written the program is designed for maximum hypertrophy, balanced hypertrophy and good strength gains however it can be modified towards other needs. Do you have a reason for wanting to change to front squats?

Plyos are fine and if you are trying to improve your verticle jump then it makes sense for you to be doing them. I'm not opposed to people adding in any of the following:
    1) cardio as needed on off days
    2) conditioning work or GPP work
    3) additional core work
    4) sports/athletic specific movement for a sport or other activity they engage in regularly.

JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JedDaIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would rather people stick with back squats at first (I tend to start adding front squats for intermediates) unless you have a specific reason for doing them. Any program should be flexible enough for specific needs particularly for those with various athletic goals. As it is written the program is designed for maximum hypertrophy, balanced hypertrophy and good strength gains however it can be modified towards other needs. Do you have a reason for wanting to change to front squats?

Plyos are fine and if you are trying to improve your verticle jump then it makes sense for you to be doing them. I'm not opposed to people adding in any of the following:
    1) cardio as needed on off days
    2) conditioning work or GPP work
    3) additional core work
    4) sports/athletic specific movement for a sport or other activity they engage in regularly.
    I enjoy doing front squats with the clean grip and I haven't stalled on my back squat front squat and deadlifts yet . BTW what 1RM lifts would you consider to be an intermediate?

Originally Posted by JedDaIron View Post
    I enjoy doing front squats with the clean grip and I haven't stalled on my back squat front squat and deadlifts yet . BTW what 1RM lifts would you consider to be an intermediate?
    I went into this a few pages back on the intermediate thing somewhere in this thread. LoL

Ok if you are familiar with the movement, really enjoy it, and want to swap front squats for back squats in workout B that is acceptable given that it has the deadlift in it also. I personally do on my current full body box squats one workout front squats the next the same way.

lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Jason,

I have a question about belts. I read your earlier response.

"Yes belts are cheating and should be classified as a side effect free performance enhancing drug. They can improve neural effeciency and I advocate their use.
    A belt gives your abs something to press against tightly to contract them when lifting, thus giving one a very slight strength increase."

I use the belt for squats, deads, rows and OHP. I am 37 and don't want to hurt my back, and that's why I use it.

MY questions is about abs. I have read in many places that squats and deadlifts are some of the best ab and core strengthening exercises.

However since I am using a belt, does it mean that I am not developing my core as much as I would have if I don't use the belt?

Originally Posted by lifebeckons75 View Post
    Hi Jason,

I have a question about belts. I read your earlier response.

"Yes belts are cheating and should be classified as a side effect free performance enhancing drug. They can improve neural effeciency and I advocate their use.
    A belt gives your abs something to press against tightly to contract them when lifting, thus giving one a very slight strength increase."

I use the belt for squats, deads, rows and OHP. I am 37 and don't want to hurt my back, and that's why I use it.

MY questions is about abs. I have read in many places that squats and deadlifts are some of the best ab and core strengthening exercises.

However since I am using a belt, does it mean that I am not developing my core as much as I would have if I don't use the belt?
    They are great core builders however for many a weak core actually limits your ability to squat heavy. One reason I have core work added in this program from day one. I train mine every time I am at the gym and often times do a couple hundred crunches on off days just for fun. The belt will help you engage your abs on these lifts if you use it correctly... meaning wrapped tightly around the abs and pressing them against it.

anaeem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wondering, can I do this routine Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday or do I have to do it 3 times a week? I want to make as much gains as possible. Also if it helps I have been lifting for a couple of months now so Im not a complete beginner.

Originally Posted by anaeem View Post
    Just wondering, can I do this routine Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday or do I have to do it 3 times a week? I want to make as much gains as possible. Also if it helps I have been lifting for a couple of months now so Im not a complete beginner.
    You could do that in theory but you will not make any faster gains over what I have prescribed.

anaeem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could do that in theory but you will not make any faster gains over what I have prescribed.

But it wouldnt hurt my gains right? I would make the same progress if I do it either way?

Originally Posted by anaeem View Post
    But it wouldnt hurt my gains right? I would make the same progress if I do it either way?
    Unless it contributes to chronic over-reaching depending upon your level of exercise tolerance or it causes you to burn additional calories and you don't make up for it with your caloric surplus in your diet or it leads to connective tissue inflammation and sets your training back a few weeks while you let it recover. If none of those occur then no it will not impact your gains. I've written this program designed around the goal of putting muscle tissue on a novice (I consider anyone with less than one year of hard consistent training to be a novice by default) as quickly as possible.

For the record I currently lift 3 days a week myself.

BigBadAznBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBadAznBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been lifting heavy at least 4x a week for the past 17 months and I look like my avi now. I used to be very fat so it took me awhile to get my diet in check but my lifting has always been extremely intense. Am I still a novice?

Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ferello is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I watched the skull crusher vid, straight bar or easy curl bar for it i couldnt really tell?

Originally Posted by BigBadAznBoy View Post
    I've been lifting heavy at least 4x a week for the past 17 months and I look like my avi now. I used to be very fat so it took me awhile to get my diet in check but my lifting has always been extremely intense. Am I still a novice?
    I would rank you as an intermediate now, past the novice phase.

I watched the skull crusher vid, straight bar or easy curl bar for it i couldnt really tell?
    That one was an ez-curl bar however if you go that route make sure you grip it wide enough to prevent elbow flare. I've been using an Olympic bar and doing them in the rack lately however myself, as it is easier than cleaning the bar up and my gym has 4 power racks.

MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really appreciate your videos JasonDB, great resource.
    I have a lot of learning/ work to do.

Newbie question.. is this workout routine advisable for a beginner on a cut? Or only when bulking?
    Also, should I work in cardio on the in between days, or not even waste my time with that?

My goal, as I am currently cutting, is to reduce body fat down to the 12% range. Currently at 21%

Thanks!

Originally Posted by MacDonald86 View Post
    Really appreciate your videos JasonDB, great resource.
    I have a lot of learning/ work to do.

Newbie question.. is this workout routine advisable for a beginner on a cut? Or only when bulking?
    Also, should I work in cardio on the in between days, or not even waste my time with that?

My goal, as I am currently cutting, is to reduce body fat down to the 12% range. Currently at 21%

Thanks!
    Skip to 3 minutes in, covered this one in my first block Q&A video.

Cardio seems to confuse people I really need to do a video on it. No cardio and conditioning work are not a waste of time, they have vast benefits regarding conditioning, calorie burn etc. However I think too many bodybuilders who goals do not include being endurance athletes over use cardio. Lifting should be your primary form of training with cardio used as a secondard tool. Now if it is being used purely as a body composition tool, do the amount of cardio per week that you need to do to consume the calories you are comfortable consuming on a cut. I'm currently cutting on 3,000 calories a day doing no true cardio other than walking (I don't drive and I do all my own grocery shopping on foot). If I wanted to consume more calories and cut at the same rate I would add in cardio to let me consume more food.

1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Op, I am looking to put on at least a noticeable amount of mass over the next eight weeks, I am not a beginner but have failed to stick to a program? Is this the program for me as someone who is weak and wants mass?
    Yes, by you signing up and purchasing clothes I receive money.

http://www.plndr.com/plndr/MembersOnly/login.aspx?r=3446808

scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 1harud1 View Post
    Hey Op, I am looking to put on at least a noticeable amount of mass over the next eight weeks, I am not a beginner but have failed to stick to a program? Is this the program for me as someone who is weak and wants mass?
    Your first statement of "not a beginner" doesn't equate to your next 2..."failed to stick to a program" & "someone who is weak".

I think this or any other program would help you, but you'll have to stick with it of course.

Originally Posted by scubahsteve View Post
    Your first statement of "not a beginner" doesn't equate to your next 2..."failed to stick to a program" & "someone who is weak".

I think this or any other program would help you, but you'll have to stick with it of course.
    I agree with this answer. If you are weak and have never stuck to a program you are a novice regardless of how long you have been lifting.

Hi jason how do you go about warming up in this routine? 1/4, 1/2 weight thwn 5 sets across?

Hi jason how do you go about warming up in this routine? 1/4, 1/2 weight thwn 5 sets across?
    2-3 warmup sets depending on what you need personally, starting with an empty bar and using rep ranges similar to what you will be using for work sets. Meaning don't burn yourself out doing 10-20 rep warmups for 5 rep work sets. Yes all work sets are sets across (a lot of people missed that in the video it seems so don't feel bad LoL).

1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with this answer. If you are weak and have never stuck to a program you are a novice regardless of how long you have been lifting.
    So do you feel 5x5 will be a good program to support both my strength and mass goals?
    Yes, by you signing up and purchasing clothes I receive money.

http://www.plndr.com/plndr/MembersOnly/login.aspx?r=3446808

MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacDonald86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, thanks for answering my question Jason, appreciate it. Mad props as well on your fat loss videos, they are very concise and informative.

I've been dickin around with some basic upper body dumbbell routines in the gym ( shoulder press, bicep curls, rows, flys, etc) and seeing some newbie gains.

Now I think it's time for me to begin an actual legit lifting program on my cut. I've been avoiding doing that with the bad back excuse as I am new to squats and dead lifts. Been avoiding the bench cuz I don't have a spotter. But I'm over the excuses now. I'm gonna try this routine on Tuesday, thanks.

rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rbdbikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sorry if this has been asked, but i started lifting in march 2012 at 130lbs, i am now 160lbs, i have made good gains but i want to get a little heavier and lift a little more, i bench 180lb and squat 250lb. would you recommend this program for me? looks pretty cool, or should i do another round of Dereks 12 week bulking plan?(had most gains with that)
    "Don't be afraid to fail, be ashamed not to try."

Instagram @optimum_rocky & @awd_empire
    SC: optimumrocky

+/+++++Subaru Crew+++++\+

So do you feel 5x5 will be a good program to support both my strength and mass goals?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by rbdbikes View Post
    sorry if this has been asked, but i started lifting in march 2012 at 130lbs, i am now 160lbs, i have made good gains but i want to get a little heavier and lift a little more, i bench 180lb and squat 250lb. would you recommend this program for me? looks pretty cool, or should i do another round of Dereks 12 week bulking plan?(had most gains with that)
    You could probably get around 6 months of good gains out of this program then would want move on to something with a little more volume and weak point training (or you could just add your own to this program and continue messing with it). I don't know who Derek is nor am I familiar with his bulking plan. LoL

Closed Thread