Closed Thread
Page 122 of 325 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 172 222 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 9748
    brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Grailer View Post
    Usually people have to move onto 3x5 or 1x5 because they have to keep deloading due to over training .

"A 27y old male weighing 185lb will usually have to switch to Madcow after reaching the 300lb Squat
    (remember to switch from SL5x5 to 3x5 and 1x5 first). The lighter/heavier you are, the sooner/later the switch to Madcow."

Check out this link
    http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/
    You do realize that you're posting in a thread for Jason's Novice 5x5 Bodybuilding program and not a Strong Lifts Thread right? Because you're giving answers that suggest you think you're in the Strong Lifts thread. If you do realize it then you're just straight up being rude to Jason. While the advice that you're giving is 100% accurate for someone running SL 5x5, it's not what would likely be recommended by Jason.

I would think that if the OP is squatting 325 at 170lbs which is nearly 2x BW that he should be looking at an intermediate program to lift on if his Becnh press and deadlift were in comparable ranges. That Being Said, Jason does have an intermediat/advanced program on his youtube channel which is linked in his signature. The other option would be to look at other intermediate options which one of this was linked by Grailer.

Lastly, if his squat is still progressing and he feels his Bench and Deadlift still need some more work, IMHO, I would think the volume he's getting from squatting 3x5@325 would be more then adequate to continue on Jason's Program with that minor adjustment.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #26 ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #34 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #74 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #10 ──<//>─<\\>──

Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150771833

52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 52Lewis20Reed is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I need some help here...

I failed the 135 bench for the second f***ing time! I don't know if it's all mental because I'm benching with plates on each side but it gets me so pissed. I can do 5x5 130 with ease (maybe struggling a little on a few reps) but I can't even get 1 full set of 135. Should I try to do 45 on each side by stacking a 25 and 2 10s?

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 52Lewis20Reed View Post
    I need some help here...

I failed the 135 bench for the second f***ing time! I don't know if it's all mental because I'm benching with plates on each side but it gets me so pissed. I can do 5x5 130 with ease (maybe struggling a little on a few reps) but I can't even get 1 full set of 135. Should I try to do 45 on each side by stacking a 25 and 2 10s?
    lol... i actually just gave in to this theory a few weeks back.... my experience was = if it is in your head = your head still knows what it weighs..
    just go for the 10% de-load..... jmho
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #28 -!!!---!!!-
    *** ice cream and iron crew # 3 ***

Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Adding calves everyday wouldn't be a big deal, right?

Seems like the only thing I really want/need to add. Just 2-3 heavy sets of calf raises.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Saucen View Post
    Adding calves everyday wouldn't be a big deal, right?

Seems like the only thing I really want/need to add. Just 2-3 heavy sets of calf raises.
    yea you can,I added 4x10 on A and B

dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm very reluctant to change this program at all, but with my deadlifts gradually becoming more of a challenge I "feel" my lower back more when doing the rows as well - even with the lighter weight.

It also just got me thinking that we've a lot of rowing work to build thickness, but not much to build width. Granted Jason mentions in his video he keeps the rows because they're always worth having. But considering they're in workout A, and only in the B workout at a reduced weight, I can't help but feel that it's an ideal place to have maybe wide-grip pull-ups, or even lat pull-downs (prefer pull-ups, but the pull-downs do lend themselves better to progression).

As I said I'm reluctant to deviate from whats set out, but wouldn't mind hearing some opinion on it...

Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ribsbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are chin-ups in workout A i tend to take a wider grip. That was one of the options we had curls or chins... rock out the chins bro

WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50) WhiskeyRitalin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dohste View Post
    I'm very reluctant to change this program at all, but with my deadlifts gradually becoming more of a challenge I "feel" my lower back more when doing the rows as well - even with the lighter weight.

It also just got me thinking that we've a lot of rowing work to build thickness, but not much to build width. Granted Jason mentions in his video he keeps the rows because they're always worth having. But considering they're in workout A, and only in the B workout at a reduced weight, I can't help but feel that it's an ideal place to have maybe wide-grip pull-ups, or even lat pull-downs (prefer pull-ups, but the pull-downs do lend themselves better to progression).

As I said I'm reluctant to deviate from whats set out, but wouldn't mind hearing some opinion on it...

I just do pull ups anyway like 3 sets of 8 (If I'm not destroyed after the workout) as I spent my money on a bar so I'm gonna use it

dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ribsbrah View Post
    There are chin-ups in workout A i tend to take a wider grip. That was one of the options we had curls or chins... rock out the chins bro
    Yeah I saw that and I took chins over curls from day 1. But since that's a replacement for a bicep exercise I use a narrow width "chin-up" grip and don't really feel like it counts towards the lats that much... I'd have normally done wide grip pull-ups, but since they're less intense on the biceps I've been sticking with the chin-ups

Originally Posted by WhiskeyRitalin View Post
    I just do pull ups anyway like 3 sets of 8 (If I'm not destroyed after the workout) as I spent my money on a bar so I'm gonna use it
    Yeah adding them in is an option alright. Although the sessions are already stretching the time I've got as it is...

mbison2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice

Originally Posted by Phrak View Post
    Another reason for using 5's is listed in this article.

Being able to recover faster will allow you to attack the muscles again faster, which means your weekly volume will go up.

abalenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abalenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abalenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brucedelaney View Post
    you are correct, it's been asked before, and usually the answer is to use the thread search tool but since I know this off the top of my head since I've answered it at least a dozen times the video addressing it is on page 30, post number 881

You're Welcome....
    Thanks! I appreciate your help.

Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First week is done. Not a fan of the 3 day thing versus my normal 5 just feels weird. But I know it's a better system than the poverty routine I was running so I'll stick to it. Guess I'll get used it but would like to figure something out for Tues/Thursday even if just cardio but I hate cardio, lol.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sirmisc View Post
    it is already answered by lrd3, dont bump. FFS the cutting question is answered 4 posts after yours. I hope your not so lazy in the gym.
    Ok, so that's only 2/5 questions answered hence why I reposted. I apologize for leaving in those ones that were answered, but I'm still looking for answers for 1,4 and 5.

Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soulforged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 7V64 View Post
    Ok, so that's only 2/5 questions answered hence why I reposted. I apologize for leaving in those ones that were answered, but I'm still looking for answers for 1,4 and 5.
    1,yes
    4,5x5 3-5 min ,3x8 1-2min
    5,its not mandatory but most people use overhand

A bunch of questions:
    1) Does the going up 5 lbs each workout (or trying to and if you fail, reset to the lower weight) apply to squats too? I ask because there are squats in every workout rather than every other workout.
    2) I have to do around half an hour on average of biking each day for transportation purposes, should I modify the sets/reps/weight for squats at all?
    3) I plan on using this while bulking, but I want to try cutting again in a few months. Is there a modification of this routine meant for cutting?
    4) How much rest between sets of the same exercises, and between exercises?
    5) What grip for barbell rows?
    1) Yes, squats 5lbs each time.
    4) Don't think there's a set time... so idk.
    5) Pretty sure it's both overhand.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

cookaymuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Saucen View Post
    First week is done. Not a fan of the 3 day thing versus my normal 5 just feels weird. But I know it's a better system than the poverty routine I was running so I'll stick to it. Guess I'll get used it but would like to figure something out for Tues/Thursday even if just cardio but I hate cardio, lol.
    I originally thought the same as you. But now I'm doing squats 3 times a week near my Max it's safe to say there is NO WAY I'd be able to do any form of cardio. It'd just burn my legs out.

OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OBigdog26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Failed last two sets on squats

What's up errybody! Failed squats for the first time. Only got 245x4 on fourth set. Pretty much felt like crap afterwards and it affected the rest of my workout. For those that have been through it, you know what I mean. For those that haven't, it's inevitable. Just push through it, it's a mental as well as a physical game. Now, go tear up some iron!!
    Peace be with you!
    I train insane
    Squat till you drop

Workout journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151543823

throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) throwawayname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Using this since December 2012 and went from 159lbs to 180lbs (eating hard), used to be around 140lbs 2 years ago with 1 or 2 small meals a day..
    Got some good gains out of this and will continue this for a while.

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

progres pics

started this 5x5 Oct 5th. i was weighing in at 170 after a 34 pound cut on another routine. (AP)
    started re-comping my diet. and slowly turned it up from there. at one point i found i had gone a little over board with a surplus so i tuned it down. i found out that diet is a balancing act = and my balence is getting better but still needs work
    first pic is me at 170 down from 214
    second pic is me at 200 flat from 170
    i took the pic last month and i'm now at 204 but around same BF ;(
    Attached Images

cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50) cloudyknight will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got my squats to 200 5x5 then I did my deadlift warmups but couldn't move my work set. Even though it was a repeat weight my legs were too shot to daedlift after the squats. Is this expected to happen sometimes? I've been on the program for 3 months.

Originally Posted by cloudyknight View Post
    I got my squats to 200 5x5 then I did my deadlift warmups but couldn't move my work set. Even though it was a repeat weight my legs were too shot to daedlift after the squats. Is this expected to happen sometimes? I've been on the program for 3 months.
    how was your rest time? did you over due your warm up?
    did you not get any reps on the full weighted deads?
    1 make sure your diet is set for your goals
    2 make sure your sleep is optimal
    3 be sure you are resting enough between sets ans different exercises.
    4 a failed lift is just a failed lift = don't beat your self up about it. progressive overload is designed to do just that.
    follow basic protocol and keep plugging away. de load when it comes time.

otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50) otehblasian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but do chinups increase lat width just as much as pullups even if there's more bicep recruitment? i'd really appreciate any answers.

Originally Posted by otehblasian View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but do chinups increase lat width just as much as pullups even if there's more bicep recruitment? i'd really appreciate any answers.
    I heard that lat width/thickness exercises are just a myth,but I know the truth as much as you :P

Registered User rorschachsaysno's Avatar
    rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I decided to change the routine a little for more delt action

no changes to Workout A

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Chins 3x8
    CGBP 3x8
    Lateral Raises 3x10
    Rear Delt 2x10

Originally Posted by rorschachsaysno View Post
    I decided to change the routine a little for more delt action

no changes to Workout A

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Chins 3x8
    CGBP 3x8
    Lateral Raises 3x10
    Rear Delt 2x10
    you need abs

Registered User rorschachsaysno's Avatar
    rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Soulforged View Post
    you need abs
    Squats and Deadlifts hit abs, crunches are done on Workout A with Squats.

Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by brucedelaney View Post
    While the advice that you're giving is 100% accurate
    Okay
    Last edited by Grailer; 02-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.

7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7V64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If I BARELY got the last rep of the last set of bench press, should I go up in weight and then go down 10% if (most likely when) I fail, or just do another workout with the same weight?

joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000) joshwah is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I BARELY got the last rep of the last set of bench press, should I go up in weight and then go down 10% if (most likely when) I fail, or just do another workout with the same weight?
    I'd do another workout at the same.
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    Never having kids crew

So fat.

Closed Thread
Page 122 of 325 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 172 222 ... LastLast