nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nibster's journal of debachery

Decide to track my progress here because….
    1. It could add some motivation for myself
    2. If I ever lose my notebook where I keep all this written down, I’ll have an electronic backup
    3. I’m a beginner
    4. I tried my hand at writing Haiku’s but I suck at it and can’t spell, figured this was easier

Goal: To become big/strong enough to challenge Carrot Top to an arm wrestling match.

All Exercises are 5 sets of 6 reps unless otherwise noted

Tuesday 5/26:
    Bench Press- 220lbs
    Lat Pulldown- 120lbs
    Incline BP- 160 lbs (last two sets consisted of 5 and 4 reps respectively)
    Seated Row- 150lbs
    Arnold Dumbbell Press- 35lbs
    Narrow Pulldowns- 100lbs
    Upright Rows- 40lbs
    DB Side Lateral Raise- 25 lbs

Wednesday 5/27:
    Cardio day- Elliptical 20 min +5 min cool down First time ever using it, not sure if I care for it.

Thursday 5/28:
    Squats- 195lbs
    Deadlift- 195lbs
    Leg Extension- 150lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    Leg Curls- 150lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    EZ Curls- 65lbs
    Tricep Pushdown- 100lbs
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl- 30lbs
    Lying Tricep Ext.- 100lbs
    Concentration Curls 25lbs
    Rope Pushdowns- 100 lbs
    Calf Raises- 270 lbs (5 sets of 12 reps)
    It doesnt matter the mistakes you make or how slow your progress is. You are still way ahead of everyone else who isn't even trying.

nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nib138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm still trying to get used to not lifting 6 times a week. So yesterday on my off day I did 20 minutes on the treadmill +5 min cooldown. Forgot to write down the distance but something around 1.5 miles. I'll get that much faster/further in time for my second mud run which is at the end of August. I'll be ready for the Warrior Dash!

Next week I'm pumping up the weight 5 more lbs. Here is my numbers for this morning:

All Exercises are 5 sets of 6 reps unless otherwise noted

Bench Press- 220lbs
    Lat Pulldown- 120lbs
    Incline BP- 160 lbs
    Seated Row- 150lbs
    Arnold Dumbbell Press- 35lbs
    Narrow Pulldowns- 100lbs
    Upright Rows- 40lbs
    DB Side Lateral Raise- 25 lbs
    5x25 Decline sit-ups
    It doesnt matter the mistakes you make or how slow your progress is. You are still way ahead of everyone else who isn't even trying.

Killer stomach ache yesterday caused me to miss my workout. I know, I'm such a puss and just need to suck it up buttercup. Starting tomorrow I'm adding more weight to each exercise. Maybe my numbers will start progressing from newbie to beginner by next month.

Todays workout:
    Squats- 195lbs
    Deadlift- 195lbs
    Leg Extension- 150lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    Leg Curls- 150lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    EZ Curls- 65lbs
    Tricep Pushdown- 100lbs
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl- 30lbs
    Lying Tricep Ext.- 100lbs
    Concentration Curls 25lbs
    Rope Pushdowns- 100 lbs
    Calf Raises- 270 lbs (5 sets of 12 reps)

Starting tomorrow I'm adding more weight to all my lifts.

Weight has been upped by 5 lbs. I'm noticing that my wrist/forearm strength is extremely weak. I need to figure out how to strengthen it as it will effect my upright rows as I get up to 55-60 lbs (approx).

Bench Press- 225lbs
    Lat Pulldown- 125lbs
    Incline BP- 165 lbs (last two sets consisted of 5 and 4 reps respectively)
    Seated Row- 155lbs
    Arnold Dumbbell Press- 40lbs
    Narrow Pulldowns- 105lbs
    Upright Rows- 45lbs
    DB Side Lateral Raise- 30 lbs
    5x25 Leg raises

Yesterday I did 25 minutes cardio on the Elliptical with 5-10 minutes on the heavy bag.

Today I upped leg exercise weights 10 lbs. and all others 5 lbs. I also made a video of my 205 lbs squat so I can see what I am doing right/wrong but I should have thought it through and put it on the side. Oh well!

Everything is 5 sets of 6 reps unless otherwise noted.

Squats- 205lbs
    Deadlift- 205lbs
    Leg Extension- 160lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    Leg Curls- 160lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    EZ Curls- 70lbs
    Tricep Pushdown- 105lbs
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl- 35lbs
    Lying Tricep Ext.- 105lbs
    Concentration Curls 30lbs
    Rope Pushdowns- 105 lbs
    Calf Raises- 280 lbs (5 sets of 12 reps)

Yesterday I got my workout in along with a 5 mile run/walk on some trails. This morning I ran on the treadmill 2.53 miles in 25 minutes that includes a 5 minute cool down. 9 minute mile which sucks. I'll get it down to 8 minute miles soon enough.

Yesterdays workout (5 sets of 6 reps unless noted otherwise):
    Bench Press- 225lbs
    Lat Pulldown- 125lbs
    Incline BP- 165 lbs
    Seated Row- 155lbs
    Arnold Dumbbell Press- 40lbs
    Narrow Pulldowns- 105lbs
    Upright Rows- 45lbs
    DB Side Lateral Raise- 30 lbs
    Decline sit-ups 25, 18, 14, 18, 17

I noticed that I am extremely OCD. I have to have matching weight colors on both sides. So if I put on two 45# weights, they both have to be gray or black. They can't be two different colors. Makes sense though too, better chance that both weights actually weigh the same.

Next workout I'll be pumping up the weight again.

All are 5 sets of 6 reps unless otherwise noted:

Squats- 205lbs
    Deadlift- 205lbs
    Leg Extension- 160lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    Leg Curls- 160lbs (5 sets of 10 reps)
    EZ Curls- 70lbs
    Tricep Pushdown- 105lbs
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl- 35lbs
    Lying Tricep Ext.- 105lbs
    Concentration Curls 30lbs
    Rope Pushdowns- 105 lbs
    Calf Raises- 280 lbs (5 sets of 12 reps)

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well done for putting some video up, though as you say you will learn much more when you take some from the side. Even from behind though it is clear you are a long way short of depth - you will need to work on your flexibility and drop the weight for a while until you start hitting depth regularly - otherwise you will just end up losing more and more depth as you keep upping the numbers. I would suggest warming up with deep paused goblet squats which will really help you get the flexibility you need in your hips.

Don't worry - it is the standard irritating result of putting up video at first.

Suggest you take some vid from the side as soon as possible - you will learn a lot from it (the form looks not too bad apart from depth though from the back).

FWIW I think you are doing yourself a disservice with your program - far too much isolation work - you would be much better served by getting yourself on a good 5x5 or similar at this stage.

Good work generally though, and a good amount of progress already.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

Thanks Flounder for the input and compliment. I'll be getting a side video of squats when it comes back around on Saturday. Definitely need one for the deadlifts so I can see what I'm doing there as well.

I also agree that I'm doing too much isolation and looking to change it up starting Monday.

Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are welcome. And welcome to the journal sections, where the useful work is done and the useful advice is usually to be found (I don't mean mine - I mean the many people in here who have helped me enormously over the last few years). Get in people's journals - read as much as you can - make some comments even if it is just "wow great", and you will soon see the benefits.

Regarding programming, personally I would start here http://stronglifts.com/

It will feel like very little work at first, but spend the time and the easy early days working on your form, videoing as much as you possibly can, and you will find out how quickly it becomes seriously hard. Your progress will thank you for it in 6 months.
    ☻/
    / \

I completely hit the reset button on my workouts and picked up the Stronglifts 5x5 this morning. I guess technically speaking doing a deload.

Instead of starting at just bar weight, decided to start at 100 lbs. Something about having a bar with 2, 2 1/2 lb weights on it was too comical and probably would cause me to laugh so hard while benching it I'd probably drop it on myself and die.

I am really happy for this deload/reset, whatever. I realized how much deeper I could go with my squats and this is giving me a chance to make corrections now. I filmed myself doing the row and my form is ****. Not even worth posting because my luck, someone would see it and think its the right form. I looked like Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Anyways, got work to do to get good form and while the weight is low I shall seize this opportunity to do so.

Originally Posted by nib138 View Post
    I completely hit the reset button on my workouts and picked up the Stronglifts 5x5 this morning. I guess technically speaking doing a deload.
    Good for you. I think you will be surprised and pleased with the results. I understand starting with 100lb. I did something similar myself. It feels silly starting with the bar I agree. Probably better, but silly.

Keep taking the vid, and when you feel you can, post it up. In the journals you don't get asshats pulling you to pieces (you won't get much false praise either), but you will get the benefit of some awesome advice. Do check out some of the other journals. There is a lot to learn in there.
    ☻/
    / \

Feeling super frustrated and disappointed as it feels I can't get proper form on anything. Finally found a good spot to record my squats at low weight and after reviewing my knees are projecting well past my feet. So while at home with no weight I tried squatting and keeping my knees vertical to my feet and found that extremely difficult. I don't know how to correct this. I guess stand facing against a wall and squatting so my knees have no where to go. Really just pisses me off I can't get anything right.

Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    Do check out some of the other journals. There is a lot to learn in there.
    Yes sir, been checking out other journals trying to see what I can learn or pick up from other people's postings.

Don't worry about the knees. There is a lot of crap talked about where the knees go IMO. They go where they go. The whole "shins upright" thing is more of a low bar cue anyway - in a high bar squat (which is what it looks like you are doing) they will always go well in front of the feet anyway.

Those squats look very nice to me. The only obvious issue is that in the hole your weight comes onto your toes and your heels lift a touch. Try and get your weight evenly on your big toe little toe and heel throughout the lift and especially in the hole. Worrying less about your knees may just fix it off the bat.

Keep the vid coming, and don't worry, squat form only comes with time - plenty of time. Yours are a great start.
    ☻/
    / \

No I didn't die, nor did I stop. But nothing exciting for me to write until now....and by exciting I mean boring.

I finally stalled once on squats. I was on my 4th set, 3rd rep at 230 lbs and just couldn't get the 4th rep up. The 5th set I did all 5. That was last week and tomorrow will be at 240 lbs 5x5. But I can tell I am getting close to maxing out.

OHP I am really struggling with. Max weight I hit was 135 lbs. Working my way up to it again but still...this would be my second stall and deload.

Anyways my numbers this week (all 5x5):
    Squat 235
    OHP 125
    Deadlift 245
    Row 180
    Bench 180

Nothing exciting, still progressing.