NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner workout without squatting?

I was recently doing SS (3x5) Squat 240lbs; Deadlift 295lbs; Bench 175lbs; Press 140lbs; Power Clean 165lbs (5x3). Bodyweight was around 190lbs (it's dropped a bit now), then I tore my meniscus playing ball hockey. It's gotten well enough that I can skate, so I'm back to ice hockey once or twice a week but not enough to pull or squat yet. In the meantime I totally lost my motivation and haven't been doing much of anything. Now I'm trying to get back into it (a belly will do that to you) and just feel lost without squats or deadlifts.

I'm looking for a beginner (with my numbers, I don't kid myself that I'm anything but) upper body program I can do, since I just don't feel like bench and rows, with presses and pullups every other day is doing enough for me. Or is it just my head playing tricks on me?

I've done a search but it's hard to separate "I can't squat" results from "I only think I can't squat" posts. I'd appreciate any help or advice.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NineOne View Post
    since I just don't feel like bench and rows, with presses and pullups every other day is doing enough for me. Or is it just my head playing tricks on me?
    It doesn't matter what you 'feel', it only matters what the numbers say. This stuff can be tracked mathematically.
    Are you gaining weight? Are your lift numbers going up consistently? Are you adding weight or reps to the bar every workout? Every week?

What you feel can change day to day and be mood dependent. To see if your routine is actually doing anything for you look and see if the numbers are moving in the right direction.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are tons of options man, you can hit upper body 3x a week with light rehab work for your lower body or split up your upper body workouts into muscle groups so you can add more volume/intensity.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NineOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Musikguy: The numbers were going up, slowly, with a little weight gain, I stalled a little, but that's happened before. I'm not looking to change my routine completely (i.e. get rid of the main lifts) I'm basically looking for a way to exercise more. My body just isn't doing nearly as much in a given time frame without squats or deads.

Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    There are tons of options man, you can hit upper body 3x a week with light rehab work for your lower body or split up your upper body workouts into muscle groups so you can add more volume/intensity.
    I don't know what kind of rehab work I can do for a meniscus tear other than take it easy, but a good 3x week upper body recommendation would be awesome.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NineOne View Post
    Musikguy: The numbers were going up, slowly, with a little weight gain, I stalled a little, but that's happened before. I'm not looking to change my routine completely (i.e. get rid of the main lifts) I'm basically looking for a way to exercise more. My body just isn't doing nearly as much in a given time frame without squats or deads.
    I guess I was wondering why you would risk over working muscle groups in your upper body just because you can't work your lower body. I see posts every day of people who want to know how to double their volume on upper body lifts because they can't do squats for a while.
    Personally, I would work upper body the same if, as you say, it was working and your lifts were going up. This should have nothing to do with not working your legs. yes, over all volume will be lower but that's because you have an injury and can't work half your frame.
    To try and compensate for this by taxing your arms or chest into stalling out seems counter productive.