Registered User Teethatyourfeet's Avatar
    Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Question regarding the NSCA CPT study materials

Hello.

For those of you who have taken the NSCA CPT exam, what study material did you use? I'm currently in the process of organizing myself to purchase the guides, but I wasn't sure what most people recommend. I have no formal educational background in fitness, but I do feel like I'm fairly knowledgable. I have been eyeing the Standard Package (521.00), but there is also the Basic Package (282.00).

Any help would be really great. I've heard (both on here and elsewhere) that the exam is quite difficult, so I want to have the best resources available to me.

Peter

davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Teethatyourfeet View Post
    Hello.

For those of you who have taken the NSCA CPT exam, what study material did you use? I'm currently in the process of organizing myself to purchase the guides, but I wasn't sure what most people recommend. I have no formal educational background in fitness, but I do feel like I'm fairly knowledgable. I have been eyeing the Standard Package (521.00), but there is also the Basic Package (282.00).

Any help would be really great. I've heard (both on here and elsewhere) that the exam is quite difficult, so I want to have the best resources available to me.

Peter
    I personally bought the "NSCA Essentials of Personal Training Book", two practice exams and the dvd that came with them(Wish I had bought one more practice test, they are only around 47 questions long). The basic package is enough in my opinion. You get the textbook, 3 practice tests(the practice dvd), and the content description booklet.

The only reason I would buy the standard package is if you would absorb the information easier through dvds, and if you struggle with exercise technique, then "Exercise Technique Manual for Resistance Training" will help a lot.

-The exam is tough, but not impossible. I studied this summer, starting June 1st. Read the book through once. Then focused on the major portions (Program Planning, Exercise Technique, Client Consultation/Assessment). After that I went back and read the remaining chapters once again, but always came back to the 3 main sections at the end of the night just to review. Repetition is key and will help you absorb the information better. I bought the practice exams early July and spent the majority of July on them. Doing a practice test every week or two, finding my weak points and studying some more. One thing I would not do, is take the practice tests within a short period of time. Especially the same test. You'll find yourself just memorizing the answers. I also recommend having someone read the practice test to you, and to switch up the order of the answers.

Good luck to you man.

-Dorsey
    Last edited by davidpdorsey; 09-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    "Prefer knowledge to wealth, for the one is transitory, the other perpetual." ~Socrates

( NSCA-CPT )

CL White Flood review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147483453

Beast Sports Nutrition- Beast Mode review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149076503&p=967425433#post967425433

Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Omnis Potens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had the book, one practice exam, and "borrowed" the lifting technique DVD from someone. Outside of NSCA's materials, I used Real Bodywork's Muscle app for the iPhone.

Registered User Teethatyourfeet's Avatar
    Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really appreciate it. Are either of you members on the NSCA? I'm looking at the memberships... Seems like a good idea.

davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidpdorsey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Teethatyourfeet View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really appreciate it. Are either of you members on the NSCA? I'm looking at the memberships... Seems like a good idea.
    Yes, I chose to purchase the professional membership because of the discounts it gave on the test and practice tests. I also paid for the year of publications. Which sends you the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research that comes out every month. Full of articles regarding strength and conditioning and fitness in general.
    "Prefer knowledge to wealth, for the one is transitory, the other perpetual." ~Socrates

( NSCA-CPT )

CL White Flood review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147483453

Beast Sports Nutrition- Beast Mode review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149076503&p=967425433#post967425433

sterpa03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Text Book vs. NSCA CPT

So the structure of the exam only has:
    Client Consultation and Assessment
    Program Planning
    Technique
    Saftey

But the text book, Essentials of Personal Training, has a lot of information related to science and biology. Is that just not on the exam?

USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500)
    The essentials of personal training textbook and the practice exams are the must. The test is pretty difficult and the questions on the practice exam I found were actually a bit easier than the questions on the actual test. I passed it the first time but not overwhelmingly, though it was my first certification.

It might help for you to share notes and study with someone who is also currently studying for the exam.

Quick tips:Make sure you know all the risk factors, and make sure you memorize the RM calculations. Don't neglect the legal jargon as well as the gym setup stuff at the end of the book, they WILL ask about that stuff and I know people who have failed the test because they neglected the last couple chapters.

After you pass it, you should consider getting the CSCS. That's what I did and I found the NSCA-CPT was actually a great secondary resources fot the CSCS.

USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by sterpa03 View Post
    So the structure of the exam only has:
    Client Consultation and Assessment
    Program Planning
    Technique
    Saftey

But the text book, Essentials of Personal Training, has a lot of information related to science and biology. Is that just not on the exam?
    When I took the test there weren't that many questions related to biology and anatomy. Make sure you know about the sliding filament theory at least as well as being able to tell the difference between things like the axial and appindicular skeletal system, Parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system, cancellous bone and cortical bone etc.

One thing I wouldn't worry too much about is the krebs cycle. Learn about the different energy systems though. For instance, make sure you can identify which activities are glycolitic, oxidative, and phos****en. Knowing the real gritty details like the role of phosphofructokinase as the rate limiting step in glycolysis is probably not going to appear on the test though.

Originally Posted by USAWchamp View Post
    When I took the test there weren't that many questions related to biology and anatomy. Make sure you know about the sliding filament theory at least as well as being able to tell the difference between things like the axial and appindicular skeletal system, Parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system, cancellous bone and cortical bone etc.

One thing I wouldn't worry too much about is the krebs cycle. Learn about the different energy systems though. For instance, make sure you can identify which activities are glycolitic, oxidative, and phos****en. Knowing the real gritty details like the role of phosphofructokinase as the rate limiting step in glycolysis is probably not going to appear on the test though.
    Thanks! Very helpful.

Originally Posted by USAWchamp View Post
    The essentials of personal training textbook and the practice exams are the must. The test is pretty difficult and the questions on the practice exam I found were actually a bit easier than the questions on the actual test. I passed it the first time but not overwhelmingly, though it was my first certification.

It might help for you to share notes and study with someone who is also currently studying for the exam.

Quick tips:Make sure you know all the risk factors, and make sure you memorize the RM calculations. Don't neglect the legal jargon as well as the gym setup stuff at the end of the book, they WILL ask about that stuff and I know people who have failed the test because they neglected the last couple chapters.

After you pass it, you should consider getting the CSCS. That's what I did and I found the NSCA-CPT was actually a great secondary resources fot the CSCS.
    I've actually already studied and taken the CSCS. I passed the first part and failed the Practical part by 4 questions the first time and by 3 questions the 2nd time. Considering taking the CPT instead as I'm hoping its a little easier and actually aligns better to what I want to do (personal trainer vs. athletic team)

Originally Posted by sterpa03 View Post
    I've actually already studied and taken the CSCS. I passed the first part and failed the Practical part by 4 questions the first time and by 3 questions the 2nd time. Considering taking the CPT instead as I'm hoping its a little easier and actually aligns better to what I want to do (personal trainer vs. athletic team)
    I have both and the CPT is easier. Should consider taking the CSCS again once you've passed the CPT for sure.