Splash23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Full Dumbell Workout vs Using Machines

Hey guys, how much of a difference is there between using dumbells to workout the entire body as opposed to using machines + other equipment? I'm thinking of getting adjustable weights so I can add/remove weights when necessary and use these to workout my body. I can't really afford $500 gym membership every year. Am I wasting my time or do I really need machines to help me?

Does anyone know the best workouts purely using dumbells? Especially the chest/back/quads. I've seen a lot of videos but I can't vouch which of them are actually effective.

Thanks

deeprooted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deeprooted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Buy yourself a power rack, a bench, a barbell and weight plates and do a workout with squats, deadlifts, bench presses and overhead presses...

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Splash23 View Post
    Am I wasting my time or do I really need machines to help me?
    No exercise is a 'waste of time;' just about anything you mght do will have at least some benefit to it. Obviously, some routines/protocols are more effective than others, but if you're limited by the equipment you have available, what's 'best' becomes a moot point.

Use what you have.

Does anyone know the best workouts purely using dumbells?
    While there's no single 'best' workout, this dumbbell-only routine is a good one:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...nly-split.html
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) villageidiot8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also most gyms offer great deals like mine ATC 15.00 a month and no commitment. Ironwill is correct there is no such thing as a bad workout routine.
    My endurance and metabolism is unwavering, my stamina is forever, and my will is unforgiving

coachstitchhy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachstitchhy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm on a routine thats fully possible (and demonstrated) with dumbells and either a bench or stability ball. I'm not going to put out a bb.com competitors name here- but I do it. And it works very well.
    If I can bulk, so can you!

Splash23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    No exercise is a 'waste of time;' just about anything you mght do will have at least some benefit to it. Obviously, some routines/protocols are more effective than others, but if you're limited by the equipment you have available, what's 'best' becomes a moot point.

Use what you have.

While there's no single 'best' workout, this dumbbell-only routine is a good one:
    Thanks for the link.

So say I were to train with dumbells for a month as opposed to incorporating machines, how disadvantaged would I be? I mean, I CAN afford a gym membership but I just don't find it cost-effective in the long term.