Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nixter View Post
    It all makes so much sense now
    That's funny. That's the first thing I thought of as well. Might be because it was just on TV last weekend and got stuck watching it. What was Arnold thinking accepting this part?
    Do life or life does you. That's always your only choice.

Congratulations if I negged you. 99.9% aren't even worth the effort.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just wanted to report in that using some rough math my vacuum pressure is 3.54 inHg or @ 12 torr.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Update:

I LOVE THIS THING! I think it'll be part of my gym bag and used as needed indefinitely.

THANK YOU JVFRANKLIN for bringing it to my attention.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's been getting much colder here lately so I decided to try something to test out the theory of this. After my workout and I have reached the point that I feel like I can do no more, stepped outside until I started feeling 'chilly.' I was surprised that after that (about 10 minutes) I was able to go back in and do my entire routine again. Totally unscientific approach, but it was enough to convince me that I need to put more priority on designing/building one of these.

A question for the guys that have already built theirs: Do you feel that the vacuum is really for pulling the blood closer to the skin surface or is it really just ensuring more contact with the cold pipe? Or maybe both?

cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Retroplayer View Post
    Do you feel that the vacuum is really for pulling the blood closer to the skin surface or is it really just ensuring more contact with the cold pipe? Or maybe both?
    The vacuum makes a big difference. I've compared to holding the ends of OLY bars (gym temp is 70 which is not far from the temp of my glove 68F) even both hands on the OLY bar had no comparison.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

Some notes that you guys may find interesting...

- An old and mostly forgotten technology called the Einstein Refrigerator looks promising. It requires no electricy, only a heat source (our body in this example)

- The key to making this work is to find a refrigerant that has a boiling point below body temperature. "Ideal" material would have a boiling point as close to the desired body temp as possible. It should at least be above room temp, but below body temp. Butane looks promising. Obviously something safer is preferred.

- Looking into related research, it appears that another benefit is that cooling the body actually triggers the chemical reactions that cause the body to use stored fat for energy versus carbohydrates. So it has the additional benefit of promoting fat loss.

Originally Posted by Retroplayer View Post
    Some notes that you guys may find interesting...

- An old and mostly forgotten technology called the Einstein Refrigerator looks promising. It requires no electricy, only a heat source (our body in this example)

- The key to making this work is to find a refrigerant that has a boiling point below body temperature. "Ideal" material would have a boiling point as close to the desired body temp as possible. It should at least be above room temp, but below body temp. Butane looks promising. Obviously something safer is preferred.

- Looking into related research, it appears that another benefit is that cooling the body actually triggers the chemical reactions that cause the body to use stored fat for energy versus carbohydrates. So it has the additional benefit of promoting fat loss.
    Interesting. IIRC water will boil @ 20C in a vacuum. maybe you just vacuum both chambers....

quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoOQN...e_gdata_player

So I knew how altitudes effect boiling points and freezing points from my culinary background, but I had to research this one with a quick Google search.

That's friggin awesome, and it looks like the guy from top gear on B B C ..

I was initally thinkin an alcohol ester to accomplish a low evap point, but this offers so much more considering using a vacuum.

Edit: can't wrap my head around it, but a cool video nonetheless
    Last edited by quietchef; 10-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Good points. Much can be done to alter a liquids properties by controlling air pressure. That is the basis of most cooling systems, actually (a compressor and evaporator does this). Doing this does increase the energy requirements, however. But in this case, we need the vacuum anyway...

Experimentation is the only way to find out (since I have no idea of the math involved) and that requires a prototype. Time to get to work!

Would love to find a better AVA site than the palm, since that restricts its use during a workout. The bottoms of the feet are a possible candidate (hold the cold feet jokes, please. Lol) From what I have read, the non-hairy portions of the face, palms, and bottom of the feet are the main AVA sites. The bigger the surface area, the better.

BTW, for those that don't want to do the conversions, body temp is ~36C (97F) and room temp is ~18C (65F).

Thermodynamic calculations and material properties appear to always be in celcius.

The inside of the mouth would be a great location for this, but I can't envision that being comfortable. The forehead is an AVA site and has a large surface area, but the sinuses are right there. I'll experiment with that, but it may not be comfortable.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only thing I'll add after using the glove for a 3 weeks and running GVT is yes, the workouts are better. But when I'm not working out, I'm run down as hell. Joints are holding up fine. Just really, really tired all the time.

Talking

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Only thing I'll add after using the glove for a 3 weeks and running GVT is yes, the workouts are better. But when I'm not working out, I'm run down as hell. Joints are holding up fine. Just really, really tired all the time.
    Simple. Just don't stop working out!

Found a great link that explains some things about how the body regulates temperature in fairly plain english: http://anthropology.ua.edu/bindon/an...old/thermo.htm

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I bought a brake bleeder kit at Harbor Freight yesterday, but I'm getting so much leakage that I'm unable to use it (and I don't think the leakage is coming in around the forearm area). What do you guys suggest for sealing around the ends and the holes used for the vacuum port?
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    I bought a brake bleeder kit at Harbor Freight yesterday, but I'm getting so much leakage that I'm unable to use it (and I don't think the leakage is coming in around the forearm area). What do you guys suggest for sealing around the ends and the holes used for the vacuum port?
    Sea all around fittings, and caulk around the end cap. The sleeve is where I lose pressure, so I twist the end, then lay my arm on my leg to keep the pressure. I still have to repump a little as time wears on.

Just wanted to say, Sat I ripped the neoprene glove on my StCoGlove and ordered a small size calf neoprene sleeve. It fit nicely on the tube, but for whatever reason wouldn't hold a vacuum. I decided to workout with the sleeve on my forearm and still grip the brass rod with no vacuum. My initial opinion is that this works about as well. Compression is supposed to increase blood flow, functionally doing what the vacuum would be doing. This could be an "easier" to make option. I'll keep tracking it today to see how it does (on set 7 of curls with no fatigue).

The whole concept of the Stanford glove is to rapid cool the blood to restore muscle pyruvate kinase and get out of the lactate cycle. Thinking about this more I thought, "well the lungs are pretty well vascularized and it's cold outside (40s)" It's easy to step outside between sets so I did. The cooling effect of breathing outside air yielded similar recovery to the glove. Of course this trick is seasonally dependent... For now, though I like the fresh air.

It also gives me a few months to streamline a more ergonomic version.

Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    The whole concept of the Stanford glove is to rapid cool the blood to restore muscle pyruvate kinase and get out of the lactate cycle. Thinking about this more I thought, "well the lungs are pretty well vascularized and it's cold outside (40s)" It's easy to step outside between sets so I did. The cooling effect of breathing outside air yielded similar recovery to the glove. Of course this trick is seasonally dependent... For now, though I like the fresh air.

What tenp is the air? My basement is 55ishthe in winter. Wondering if thatd do the trick.

mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdjeflex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to bump and Old thread, but any update on this Cmoore? Still using it? Was debating making one today !
    Power steps back only in the face of more power!

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It was featured on the Science Channel recently.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I call BS
    It would be used by all elite weight athletes if it was all that.
    Doing the test on a relatively untrained or beginner trainer almost anything will produce big results.
    Try this with some of the top lifters in the world and see what happens.

Originally Posted by mdjeflex View Post
    Sorry to bump and Old thread, but any update on this Cmoore? Still using it? Was debating making one today !
    Not lately. Cold air and extended rest between sets seems equivalent and with less "gadget" to mess with.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I call BS
    It would be used by all elite weight athletes if it was all that.
    Doing the test on a relatively untrained or beginner trainer almost anything will produce big results.
    Try this with some of the top lifters in the world and see what happens.
    Call it what you will. I'm not going to argue with you about it. Basically, the whole concept I learned is don't over heat, and if you do, wait until the muscle recovers before the next set. Cool down and recover how ever you want. The closest I can compare the whole idea is how ******t temperature can affect running. All runners will run faster times in moderate/cooler air than hotter temps. YMMV.

ps- I'm not entirely untrained or a beginner by most standards and I generally move respectable weight. <shrug>
    Last edited by cmoore; 12-10-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Neptunus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

ps- I'm not entirely untrained or a beginner by most standards and I generally move respectable weight. <shrug>
    Damn right!

I don't have the cold climate advantage but on the bigger days I'm sucking in air from the freezer and it seems to help.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not lately. Cold air and extended rest between sets seems equivalent and with less "gadget" to mess with.

Call it what you will. I'm not going to argue with you about it. Basically, the whole concept I learned is don't over heat, and if you do, wait until the muscle recovers before the next set. Cool down and recover how ever you want. The closest I can compare the whole idea is how ******t temperature can affect running. All runners will run faster times in moderate/cooler air than hotter temps. YMMV.

I know my time and recovery in running the mile is significantly better 60 degree weather vs 90+ degree weather. Where I live it's mostly hot all the time. So if I do get to run on a cool snap I can really feel the difference.

I wouldn't think weight training would cause as many overheating issues as sports or conditioning work. But recovery is huge. Anything to help it along would be a plus.

I'd also speculate cold climate training would have some blood flow, respiration and mobility issues that you wouldn't get from using something like this.

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My garage gym is fecking cold, and I am a monster.

Sadly only one of these statements is true...
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

slothnet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ice vest???

old thread but there are people on topic that may've subscribed

willing to believe this ice / cooling vest can work just as well @$53.00
    Attached Images

tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tallred27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why don't you just stick your hand under the water at the water fountain between sets? Seems like that may work as well.

slothnet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by tallred27 View Post
    Why don't you just stick your hand under the water at the water fountain between sets? Seems like that may work as well.
    someone posted using 2 frozen water bottles,,, seems superior and more convenient than your water fountain trick.

FYI I'd beat up anyone at the water fountain for more then 1 minute, so if you like water you can go to the gym with a back pack full of ice... if you got a pair of flip flops you can probably manage to quickly put your hands and feet in the ice while in the fetal position, between sets.

thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone have the actual device? I noticed that it is now 995 bucks instead of 3 grand...is this device bogus or is it worth it?