Thread: Water?

cox1sm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Water?

I've completely given up drinking pop.

So now pretty much all I drink is water (and occasionally a glass of skim milk).

I try to get about 115 fluid ounces per day. (Half of my body weight).

Is this helping boost my metabolism, or is that just something I imagined I'd heard?

(Will rep for helpful answers)

SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    water helps by flushing out the bad stuff in your body, keeping your body hydrated, and by keeping you (somewhat) satiated. The only way it can help "boost" your metabolism is by your body actually having to expend energy "digesting" it, but it's trivial at best honestly. But it definitely beats drinking pop - or ANY liquid that has calories IMHO. I'd rather eat my calories.
    2011:
    LBS: 210+ to 148
    BF%: 28+ to 11%

2015:
    LBS: 170 to 149
    BF%: 20 to 12.8%

Goal: 170LBS, 10%BF

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it's not going to boost your metabolism. it will help keep water weight reduced and of course it's good for you, but there's also nothing wrong with having diet soda occasionally as well.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SteveFromNY View Post
    water helps by flushing out the bad stuff in your body, keeping your body hydrated, and by keeping you (somewhat) satiated. The only way it can help "boost" your metabolism is by your body actually having to expend energy "digesting" it, but it's trivial at best honestly. But it definitely beats drinking pop - or ANY liquid that has calories IMHO. I'd rather eat my calories.
    What about Milk? I drink around 1.5 liters of skim a day thats 75g carbs, 45g protein. Mostly with Whey and my oats in the morning. It is adding to my carbs by quite a bit. However I think it's worth it for the extra protein and you can only eat so much meat.

SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by retro36 View Post
    What about Milk? I drink around 1.5 liters of skim a day thats 75g carbs, 45g protein. Mostly with Whey and my oats in the morning. It is adding to my carbs by quite a bit. However I think it's worth it for the extra protein and you can only eat so much meat.
    Of course, liquids with a valid nutrional content are the exception, and while I occasionally drink a protein shake post work out when I'm in a hurry, I would still rather eat my protein than drink it - just for the sake of satiation. I'm a total carnivore and have no problem eating enough protein from steaks, burgers, etc!
    2011:
    LBS: 210+ to 148
    BF%: 28+ to 11%

2015:
    LBS: 170 to 149
    BF%: 20 to 12.8%

Goal: 170LBS, 10%BF

retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by cox1sm View Post
    I've completely given up drinking pop.

So now pretty much all I drink is water (and occasionally a glass of skim milk).

I try to get about 115 fluid ounces per day. (Half of my body weight).

Is this helping boost my metabolism, or is that just something I imagined I'd heard?

(Will rep for helpful answers)
    Water will clear your renal system. Cold water is suppose to burn a few cals as it cools your body. However it won't boost your metabolism. Green tea will a bit though. If you drink a lot of water after working out. You should drink coconut water or a sports drink to keep you electrolyte levels up.

Originally Posted by SteveFromNY View Post
    Of course, liquids with a valid nutrional content are the exception, and while I occasionally drink a protein shake post work out when I'm in a hurry, I would still rather eat my protein than drink it - just for the sake of satiation. I'm a total carnivore and have no problem eating enough protein from steaks, burgers, etc!
    I'm live in London and meat is really expensive here in the UK now. So I eat a lot of fish and my freezer is full of Salmon.

That said, I might order some Biltong and I've actually made it myself before. Have you ever had South African, Droëwors? They are dried spiced boerewors sausages. You should try them they are really nice.