Thread: Pull-Up help

JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pull-Up help

It's difficult to do multiple sets of the same amount of pull-ups for me. I can do maybe on set of 6-10 pull-ups, where somewhere between those number is when I can't lift my chin above the bar anymore. Every set after that I can barely do 2-3, and I can only get up to even 6 with help from a chair. When I get to the point where I simply cannot even do 1 pull-up anymore (usually the 3rd or 4th set) I just start doing the shrugging exercises where I'm in a full deadhang, and then use my back muscles to get my head above my shoulders. I also noticed that after the first set, my forearms begin to ache while I'm doing pull-ups although I usually do back with biceps. How else can I get more pull-ups? The most pull-ups I ever did in a row was about 12, and I was drunk at the time.

ostertag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My reps also decrease more so than other exercises with straight sets.

This is what worked for me in the past in increasing my BW pullups:

I would do straight sets with maybe amount a minute break between each set. And I would keep doing these sets until I got 50 total reps. At the time I went from about 10 pull up max to 21. And my endurance from set to set went up too. I was then able to move on to weighted pull ups, which I feel has improved my lats to a decent degree.

ostertag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And LOL at drunken pull ups.

Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you can do 5+ pull ups, you can do them weighted. I think its the best way to increase your BW numbers. Also, try increasing your breaks.
    -Chasing The Pump-

Whether you take a doughnut hole as blank space or as an entity unto itself is purely a metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit - Murakami

JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JayE147 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Goatny View Post
    If you can do 5+ pull ups, you can do them weighted. I think its the best way to increase your BW numbers. Also, try increasing your breaks.
    The lightest weight I can attach to myself is a 10, and I can only get like 3 reps with that? is that still ok?

Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JayE147 View Post
    The lightest weight I can attach to myself is a 10, and I can only get like 3 reps with that? is that still ok?
    I'd say shoot for 5 sets of 3. In a week or two you should be able to bump it up to 15lbs. Just stick with weighted for a couple months and then test yourself at BW. You should be able to do significantly more. Good luck dude.
    -Chasing The Pump-

Whether you take a doughnut hole as blank space or as an entity unto itself is purely a metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit - Murakami

autoanorak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) autoanorak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) autoanorak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) autoanorak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't go to failure on the first couple of sets. stop 1-2 reps short. you get more reps in the long run that way, and more total work on the muscle

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Goatny View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I can barely do more BW pull-ups than I can with +25 lbs. Once you get past 10-15 reps it becomes an endurance exercise and the weight almost doesn't even matter.

OP, sounds like you aren't resting long enough between sets and/or you are getting too close to failure on your first set. Instead of starting with a set of 10, try a set of 5, then time your rest between sets and try to do 3-5 sets of the same number of reps with the same rest time between sets. I like 3 sets of 8-10, and once I get to 10 across I increase the weight.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I can barely do more BW pull-ups than I can with +25 lbs.
    Rlly? To each his own. I can knock out twice as many as I can with +25. Granted, you're a lot heavier. Just sayin, OP, I got my BW numbers up with weighted pulls/chins, not BW pulls/chins. I'll admit, what has worked well for me might not be ideal for you but that goes without saying.
    -Chasing The Pump-

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    If your only goal is increase the number of chin ups you can do then you need to spend some time greasing the groove. Look it up. It is possible you are also overtraining...not sure how often you do them, but you are working beyond failure which can be detrimental depending on your gym experience and frequency of workouts.
    Experience, not just theory