TonyB91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bigger, Badder, Stronger...Bulking with Starting Strength

Hey all, I'm TonyB91 and I'm new around here. I have lurked around the site and toiled around the gym a bit but am now getting serious about it and am working on getting bigger, badder, stronger.

I've always been smaller, I'm 22 and stand 5'6" and just weighed in to start my SS journey at 132 pounds. I am in the military and have been for just over 2 yeas now and have decided it's high time to take the gym and my fitness/health more seriously.

After looking things over and figuring out what I want I have as you can already see decided to start out by doing the Starting Strength routine. I am already 2 workouts in so I'm a little behind on making this log but better late then never.

I do have a journal I take with me to the gym to write down everything and how I feel so this will be my electronic journal and a place for hopefully many of you to motivate chime in with tips and suggestions and see how I am progressing. So thank you in advance.

I actually found my starting weights in advanced by dedicating one day to it and I will now be posting my first 2 workouts here.

My first workout went great. Hit everything easily of course and was feeling good the rest of the day.

Squats-starting weight 105lbs.
    WU-1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 75lbs
    Work Sets-3x5 @ 105lbs

squats felt good and light. first set was a bit shaky though probably because I warmed up on the bike for 5 minutes before squatting? anyway my 2nd and 3rd sets felt progressively better and I look forward to adding up weight on the bar.

Bench press-starting weight 95lbs
    WU-1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 75lbs
    work sets-3x5 @ 95lbs

felt really nice smooth and easy here. really focused on touching my test and not getting a bounce off. cant wait to see what I can get to here by the end of all this and where I can take it after too.

deadlift -starting weight 135lbs
    work set-1x5 @ 135lbs

nice and easy felt light enough and I love this lift. Will be doing these every workout for a bit like in the SS book before subbing for power cleans every other work out.

anyway I know not much detail but it'll get better if you stick with me. Its also late and im tired from the gym and work today. I'll be getting my second workout up tomorrow but I did do it today. hope you read and will hang around to see how I progress a long with me!!

SS Week 1 day 2, 18DEC13

Im late updating this as now Ive completed my first week and first 3 SS workouts so ill be posting my second now followed by my third right after.

Squats-
    warmup-1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 95lbs
    1x5 @ 105lbs

work sets-3x5 @ 115lbs

I made all the sets and reps easily. Again my first set felt weaker then my 2nd and third. likely from the bike warmup and maybe too much warmup. Ill work on maybe treadmill warmup and planning my barbell warmup better. Still all felt good though.

Standing Press-
    warmup-1x5 @ 45lbs

worksets-3x5 @ 55lbs

Knew i was starting these low so not much warmup. Sets felt great. nice and easy. i know these will be what give me the most trouble though so ill enjoy the ease they have while it lasts.

Deadlift-
    work sets-1x5 @ 150lbs

No warmup again, felt good when i got to them. hit the reps easy and cant wait to have some real weight on these.

Overall I felt i had a really good workout. cant wait to get some weight on these bars!

SS week 1 day 3, 20DEC13

Third workout was done yesterday just posting now.

Squats-
    warmup-1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 95lbs
    1x3 @ 115lbs

work sets-3x5 @ 125lbs

squats felt real good this workout. all my sets felt strong and the weight seemed lighter then the last workout with 115 pounds. next workout is squatting a plate, im looking forward to it!!

Bench press-
    warmup-1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 75lbs

work sets-3x5 @ 100lbs

Bench felt strong today as well. no problem on and reps. only thing id say right now is i need to focus on controlling the weights decent a bit more then i was, especially once the weight starts getting heavy.

Deadlift-
    work set-1x5 @ 165lbs

good set here with no struggle. only thing is i felt the area on my shoulder ,where i might have some nerve damage, pulling and getting the sting/numbness i get sometimes. i havent had it looked at ever but i should soon. especially if it keeps happening in my workout.

overall felt like a good solid workout. weight all felt easy and look forward to relaxing this weekend then hitting it all and hitting it heavier next week

djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100)
    For your warmups, check this out - http ://corw.in /warmup/ (get rid of the spaces)

Also, what about your nutrition info?

SS week 2 day 1 23DEC13

Few days late again been busy lol but here is day 1 of week 2 on SS.

Squats-warmup-
    1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 75lbs
    1x3 @ 95lbs
    1x2 @ 115lbs

worksets-
    3x3 @ 135lbs

Felt good all the way through. Felt stronger on my 2nd and 3rd sets again. Feel like my warmup sets were a lot better and more helpful today as well.

Press-warmup-
    1x5 @ 45lbs

worksets-
    3x5 @ 60lbs

using such a light weight i didnt warm up much. felt good. easy all the way through and hopefully that lasts a while.

Deadlift-workset
    1x5 @ 180lbs

Felt really good. Moved the weight easy and should have no problem finishing out at least 2 weeks of deadligting every workout before starting power cleans.
    Currently running Stating Strength to build my strength and develop a solid base.

Currently bulking!!

my workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158980733&p=1181221141#post1181221141

SS week 2 day 2, 24DEC13

Didnt want to miss a worout on my second week so I did my next work out the next day since the gym was closed Wednesday for Christmas. Overall only had about 14 hours of rest from my last work out to this one.

Squats-warmup-
    1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x3 @ 95lbs
    1x1 @ 115lbs

worksets-
    3x5 @ 145lbs

Didnt warmup too much since this was 14 hours from my last workout and was still feeling it. Still got all my sets and reps though I struggled a bit on the last reps of the 2nd and 3rd set. hopefully thats just cuz of the short rest from the previous work out.

Bench press-warmup-
    1x5 @ 45lbs
    1x5 @ 85lbs

worksets-
    3x5 @ 105lbs

no struggle here. went up easy every time. slowly adding weight here. previously my 1RM has been 135bs on bench so in a few weeks ill hopefully hithat for 3x5, cant wait to do it!

Deadlif-workset-
    1x5 @ 195lbs

Felt heavy but still hit them all. again could have felt heavier from yesterdays workout and fatigue. if i keep on track ill be hitting 2 plates on monday but i still have to get through fridays set at 210lbs first!
    Currently running Stating Strength to build my strength and develop a solid base.

Currently bulking!!

my workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158980733&p=1181221141#post1181221141

djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100) djayem is not very well liked. (-100)
    Good work bro, keep it up.

How was your Christmas?