Page 101 of 139 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 4167
    jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    jj, I love the basic outline of the new programming. It's actually pretty similar to what I plan on running in a few months. I made a lot of progress on Texas Method last fall, so I can't wait to get back to it on it when I finish my cut and get my calories back up. If you're not away, it's a 3 day split with a volume day, a recovery day, and an intensity day, which will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for me. Given my new interest in the olympic lifts, I am going to add at least one, if not two, olympic lifting days on Tuesday and possibly Saturday. As you know, I'm still just working on technique for cleans, so I have no idea what I will do for programming, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I was going to put in my two cents regarding diet, but between the comments above and the fact that you're working with Chef Bob, you should have it covered. I would however recommend you watch some videos put out by Eric Helms of 3DMJ. Over the summer he put out a series of videos called the Muscle and Strength Nutritional Pyramid (as if you haven't heard enough about pyramids lol). It's a six part series, each video is like 20 minutes or so, but he does an excellent job of covering a lot of material and making it easy to follow and understand, easily worth the time it take to watch. I don't want to clutter your journal with all the videos, but here's the link to the first part and you can just follow the links to each subsequent part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
    Powerlifting Log - http://tinyurl.com/jshaw5

PR's - Gym / Meet
    Squat - 510 lbs / 200 kg (441 lbs)
    Bench - 315 lbs / 125 kg (275 lbs)
    Deadlift - 515 lbs / 217.5 kg (480 lbs)
    Press - 185 lbs

"Yes, if you squat wrong it fukcs things up. If you squat correctly, those same fukced-up things will unfukc themselves.� - Rip

()---() York Barbell Club #75 (Kg) ()---()

MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome stuff JJ! Keep it up!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    That is horrible.
    Regardless of how you eat a meal if it has more than just protein with a carb or fat the overall GI Is lowered a TON. Pretty false here.
    Well that's why

A) I prefaced it with "I think"
    and
    B) I still have a fat gut and haven't been losing weight

I'm always out to learn, and knowing that something is wrong that I've picked up from somewhere else is just that; learning.

Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Bob!
    Proud member of Team Ogre

-----> Come join me in my log on bb.com!: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150246533

Currently running: Wade's program
    Currently reading: Nothing. Suggest something for me to digest with my eyes
    Currently playing: Clicker Heroes and Diablo 3

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That is horrible.
    Regardless of how you eat a meal if it has more than just protein with a carb or fat the overall GI Is lowered a TON. Pretty false here.

^^^ true but when eaten in a combined meal the overall GI is very low and much lower than what the GI Scale shows.

Where was my invitation to the party

Not making me mad at all, if you are set on a template and want to run it and refuse to change then run it, if it makes you happy. Happiness will prolong progress, if a lifter goes into the gym and ENJOYS what they do they will have more success than an individual who dreds working out of half asses their work. Think aobut the real world and people who hate their job but do it for a paycheck, then there are those who are successful because they love their job and take extra pride in what they do. Same applies to lifting.

The reason i want to see you incorporate some other forms of lifting and tempo's/lifts is beause it will aid/carry over into your compounds.

Speed work will aid Type II Muscle fibers and also aid sticking points (locking out on bench, squatting out of the hole) etc. Speed helps a ton, if you can rip the bar off the ground faster and lock your hips you will be a successful deadlifter.

I also wanted to vary your sets/reps on your 5/3/1 sets and how you do your Day 3 and day 4 of your skeelton work as we talked about with RPE and differences in schemes to help aid your PL goals.

Again if you are set on the routine above thats fine, ill chime in my 2 cents on accessory work to aid and bring up your lifts. but for now ill sit back and let you do the training because you seem so set on it, ill handle the nutrition because i dont want to make you mad or step into what you have being setup by another individual in here that is unfair to them.

Hey Chef Bob!

Welcome! Thanks for you willingness to help Jani on the nutrition side. It's not only her you'll be helping, her followers including me will learn from you as well. And this is a great thing for all. I'm excited!

Let's give JJ a cycle on this program... When I started coaching her 8 months ago, the goal was to make her an Olympic lifter with good technique. Now that she has improved her competition lifts a ton, it is time for her to get really strong without compromising what she gained in her technique. She was also training as a powerlifter. And truthfully, at the time I did not spend time working with her in this area because I focused on the Olympic lifts. But now is the time to combine both and look at the greater picture.. The bigger challenge ahead is "carryover." There is NO such thing as being too strong.. But there is such a thing as ingraining bad movement pattern.

For example, I absolutely agree with you about the TYPE II training for the DL.. And I absolutely agree that deadlift, done is powerlifting fashion, must be ripped off the ground from time 0.01.. From a carryover standpoint on the cleans, however, the first pull (lifting from ground to launch point) must be controlled in preparation for the explosive second pull. And the bar paths of the PL DL versus the first pull on the clean are NOT the same. So in the future she may have to make sumo deadlift as her competition powerlifting lift.

But for now she wants to improve her lifts on the snatch and front squat. Let's focus on those, then evaluate again down the road.

Again, thanks for your help and I look forward to learning from you on the nutrition side of things.

Dis is gun be good!!
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    ^^^Norwich is a professor of oly lifting.
    LOL. Thanks Ham.. But I'm more like a sub-assistant to a Kindergarten teacher's aide.
    This above all..

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    I absolutely agree with you about the TYPE II training for the DL.. And I absolutely agree that deadlift, done is powerlifting fashion, must be ripped off the ground from time 0.01.. From a carryover standpoint on the cleans, however, the first pull (lifting from ground to launch point) must be controlled in preparation for the explosive second pull. And the bar paths of the PL DL versus the first pull on the clean are NOT the same. So in the future she may have to make sumo deadlift as her competition powerlifting lift.
    Joel, thanks for saving me some time by posting this first.

Chef Bob,
    I learned conventional deads first and cleans later. Because I thought the pulls were the same, my clean suffered. This is why there's a lift called the Clean Pull. It looks like a deadlift, but it's not and it's what you see in training videos of advanced weightlifters who are working on their strength - not deadlifts.

Edit: I think Jani would do well with sumo if she likes the form.
    Last edited by Stenn; 11-16-2013 at 07:15 AM.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glad you guys see my stance as well and with the nutrition aid she will be at her strongest to date

I will pop in suggestions on accessory work but when I sent her a template and then saw this I see why she shot it down

If she would of told me you were doing the training then I would of understood a bit more

Let's see the progress to the fullest in here let's be a team and make it work

Originally Posted by Stenn View Post

Chef Bob,
    I learned conventional deads first and cleans later. Because I thought the pulls were the same, my clean suffered. This is why there's a lift called the Clean Pull. It looks like a deadlift, but it's not and it's what you see in training videos of advanced weightlifters who are working on their strength - not deadlifts.

Indeed.. I think she'll be a great sumo deadlifter as well, stennmuffin.. We can even initiate this next cycle.

Glad you guys see my stance as well and with the nutrition aid she will be at her strongest to date

I will pop in suggestions on accessory work but when I sent her a template and then saw this I see why she shot it down

If she would of told me you were doing the training then I would of understood a bit more

HAHAHA!! JJ didn't tell you she has two weightlifting coaches? That girl I tell ya.. Keep an eye on her.. She's a trouble maker..

I absolutely saw where you are coming from.. We are open-minded individuals..

And 1000% agreed on being a team.. We all love to do what we do for our athletes / clients.

Really exciting times ahead..
    This above all..

mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'll be the watergirl for said team!!!! please, pretty please.
    "There's something about a heavy weight that makes a body not want to get under it. Part of the fun of weightlifting is rousing one's spirit and getting under a heavy weight in spite of one's more sensible survival instincts." -Stenn

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." -Chris Shugart.

TEAM AMAZON - Sisterhood of Iron

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=571188111#post571188111

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good morning Jani!! Happy Saturday!!!! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!!!
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

The All-American American Woody-5's Avatar
    Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On the chef bob train now too? Awesome!

And two oly coaches? This is gonna be like a triple threat match! (Yes, i still watch wrestling twice a week. yes I have my 10yo daughter addicted to it too lol)
    The gains in here are going to be insane
    PRs: Back Squat- 410x1 / Front Squat- 320x1/ Bench- 325x1 / Deadlift- 505x1

Woody's Quest for the Seven (journal):
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177649631

pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi jani!!!
    My Journal
    Sometimes there's lifting talk. Sometimes notsomuch.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135168601

*Sponsored* ProMera CapsiBlast=Completed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153005161

*Sponsored* ProMera Con-Cret=Completed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146080323&p=907575483&posted=1#post907575483

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

Benched 185x2 and isn't afraid to tell you ALL about it:)

Just doing the prep work! jjeane's Avatar
    jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Woody-5 View Post
    Killer amraps on the back squats!

10/10 pic with the calf- I love it!

Hope you have a great weekend!
    Thanks Woody!! Was pleased with the BS today!!
    That little guy, I will not be able to carry him much longer for sure!!
    Hope you have a good weekend as well!!

Good to know you have someone helping you with nutrition.

I follow this 'Hire me, then fire me' philosophy in the real world. I don't like to cultivate the feeling that my athletes 'must rely on me or they will fail' type of feeling. That type of BS is the biggest scam in the fitness industry. I want my athletes to grow, both physically and especially mentally. I want them to become confident and independent thinkers.. This is the reason why I stop prescribing numbers of sets, reps, exercises, etc.etc.. as they bust through the beginning stage and into intermediate.. And this is the reason why I start asking for their input as they go up the next level.. Whatever knowledge I have, I give to my lifters.

I also always encourage them to learn on their own and learn from others, which is why I did not hesitate asking Steve to step in to help us both - for which I'm extremely grateful.

These are the same philosophies past coaches have taught me..

Those blue plates will go up in the overhead position in 2014.
    Blue plates 2014 here we come. Hoping it will be more than that though!!!
    You know Joel, you are a very generous person and I am grateful for all you have taught me and your willingness to help me succeed and reach my goals!!
    I was thinking about the DL on Max out day. I didn't really understand why you set it at 110%. I kept thinking isn't this when I should work on DL strength? Then I hit me BAM! It had nothing to do with dl. It has everything to do with preparing my body and esp my MIND for higher snatch and cleans. It the weight doesn't feel heavy or uncomfortably heavy in the first pull, I am more likely to make the lift.

Where was my invitation to the party

Not making me mad at all, if you are set on a template and want to run it and refuse to change then run it, if it makes you happy. Happiness will prolong progress, if a lifter goes into the gym and ENJOYS what they do they will have more success than an individual who dreds working out of half asses their work. Think aobut the real world and people who hate their job but do it for a paycheck, then there are those who are successful because they love their job and take extra pride in what they do. Same applies to lifting.

The reason i want to see you incorporate some other forms of lifting and tempo's/lifts is beause it will aid/carry over into your compounds.

Speed work will aid Type II Muscle fibers and also aid sticking points (locking out on bench, squatting out of the hole) etc. Speed helps a ton, if you can rip the bar off the ground faster and lock your hips you will be a successful deadlifter.

I also wanted to vary your sets/reps on your 5/3/1 sets and how you do your Day 3 and day 4 of your skeelton work as we talked about with RPE and differences in schemes to help aid your PL goals.

Again if you are set on the routine above thats fine, ill chime in my 2 cents on accessory work to aid and bring up your lifts. but for now ill sit back and let you do the training because you seem so set on it, ill handle the nutrition because i dont want to make you mad or step into what you have being setup by another individual in here that is unfair to them.
    Everyone is invited Chef Bob!!!
    And I would love to incorporate those things in my program. But I am a Weight Lifter first and a power lifter second. My heart is in the snatch and the CNJ. I think we can make this work!!

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    ^^^Norwich is a professor of oly lifting.

Nice squats, I know bp is down but way to stick it out for those AMRAP sets at the end. LMAO at calf pic! That calf is all "I am not amused" while JJ appears to be VERY amused. I love your pants dood!
    True that on Professor Joel!! I swear he is going to take a team to the Olympics one day. I have complete faith in him!!
    Most calves don't look real pleased being carried. Now give this guy a bottle, he lost his mom, and he will cheer up quickly!!
    Camo FTW!! I should have bought 2 pair of those pants! Srs!!
    Spoon Barbell Club

My Journal- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147722593

No person with dignity and a soul wants a hand out- they want to earn what they have. Jim Wendler

Set your bar high, be kind, and do more of what makes you stronger. Eleiko

Love over fear

jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jshaw5 View Post
    jj, I love the basic outline of the new programming. It's actually pretty similar to what I plan on running in a few months. I made a lot of progress on Texas Method last fall, so I can't wait to get back to it on it when I finish my cut and get my calories back up. If you're not away, it's a 3 day split with a volume day, a recovery day, and an intensity day, which will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for me. Given my new interest in the olympic lifts, I am going to add at least one, if not two, olympic lifting days on Tuesday and possibly Saturday. As you know, I'm still just working on technique for cleans, so I have no idea what I will do for programming, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I was going to put in my two cents regarding diet, but between the comments above and the fact that you're working with Chef Bob, you should have it covered. I would however recommend you watch some videos put out by Eric Helms of 3DMJ. Over the summer he put out a series of videos called the Muscle and Strength Nutritional Pyramid (as if you haven't heard enough about pyramids lol). It's a six part series, each video is like 20 minutes or so, but he does an excellent job of covering a lot of material and making it easy to follow and understand, easily worth the time it take to watch. I don't want to clutter your journal with all the videos, but here's the link to the first part and you can just follow the links to each subsequent part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
    I have heard of the Texas Method but never looked into it. I would have to go back look at how I trained for the Oly lifts in the beginning. Mostly it was I was given a task or something to fix. i went and worked on it, got feedback and moved forward. You can set aside a whole session. Then it would be lots of drill work and then the lift. Let me know and I can go back and look at the stuff Joel told me to do and I can pass it on.
    Thank you for the nutrition vid links. I always like to learn about things so I will go watch them. And we know pyramids make the best visuals of all time!!

Originally Posted by MatTheCur View Post
    Awesome stuff JJ! Keep it up!!!!!
    Thanks Mat! I am trying!!

Chef Bob,

I have pretty much switched to sumo. It is easier on my back and I don't have to over thinking issue when I approach the bar. When I approach it now clean stlye I just keep thinking I have to get it on my shoulders and I can't do that with 185-200# And it freaks me out!! I can't even squat that
    Spoon Barbell Club

No person with dignity and a soul wants a hand out- they want to earn what they have. Jim Wendler

Love over fear

pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jjeane View Post

I have pretty much switched to sumo. It is easier on my back and I don't have to over thinking issue when I approach the bar.
    This is pretty much what I just told Hammie about me switching to sumo!

There's too much smart talk in here and not enough cute barnyard critters! At least on this page lol
    My Journal
    Sometimes there's lifting talk. Sometimes notsomuch.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135168601

*Sponsored* ProMera CapsiBlast=Completed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153005161

*Sponsored* ProMera Con-Cret=Completed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146080323&p=907575483&posted=1#post907575483

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

Benched 185x2 and isn't afraid to tell you ALL about it:)

Indeed.. I think she'll be a great sumo deadlifter as well, stennmuffin.. We can even initiate this next cycle.

HAHAHA!! JJ didn't tell you she has two weightlifting coaches? That girl I tell ya.. Keep an eye on her.. She's a trouble maker..

I absolutely saw where you are coming from.. We are open-minded individuals..

And 1000% agreed on being a team.. We all love to do what we do for our athletes / clients.

Really exciting times ahead..

Yay!! I am terrible at explaining things. I thought I made it clear to Bob that Oly lifting was my passion and I really wanted help with the nutrition and accessories. But I may not have gotten my point across. That is one of the bad things about the internet. Sometimes you think you have gotten your point across and you don't.
    And Joel, I have a fairly recent with of Sumo DL. I took it in I think Early Oct. If you want to see I can re post it.
    I am excited as well. I have come a long way in the last 8 months. I am just so excited to get stronger and keep chasing that perfect lift.

Originally Posted by mmater View Post
    I'll be the watergirl for said team!!!! please, pretty please.
    You should join the team MMA!!!

Originally Posted by gobbles23 View Post
    Good morning Jani!! Happy Saturday!!!! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!!!

You too Lori? Have anything fun going on? I get to go to a farm girls meeting. Well, at leat I get to get out of the house by myself!!

Originally Posted by Woody-5 View Post
    On the chef bob train now too? Awesome!

And two oly coaches? This is gonna be like a triple threat match! (Yes, i still watch wrestling twice a week. yes I have my 10yo daughter addicted to it too lol)
    The gains in here are going to be insane

Hoping the gains are insane. Just remind me to be a good as you about tracking and eating, K?

Originally Posted by pharty View Post
    Hi jani!!!
    Hey P!! Good to see you. Hope all is well over in your world!!
    Spoon Barbell Club

Love over fear

Originally Posted by pharty View Post
    This is pretty much what I just told Hammie about me switching to sumo!

There's too much smart talk in here and not enough cute barnyard critters! At least on this page lol
    Okay, P, here are pictures to even out the page!! LOL!!
    Yes, on the sumo. Joel posted this link the other day. I had been dabbling with sumo. From the arm leg ratio it said I should be conventional. So the next DL day I did both and was like, yes, think I will stick with sumo.
    Spoon Barbell Club

Love over fear

I was 100% Clueless you had 2 people doing your training already or else i would not have sent you a set up plan, I was totally lost when you kept yelling back at me about your training and how it was setup. So now it makes a little more sense.

let me just focus on nutrition. i do not want to step on anyones toes in here that you have been working with, this way i can handle that, and they can handle your training so you dont have to backlash at me

I dont want cows coming over to my house and sacraficing me for my emails haha

Blue plates 2014 here we come. Hoping it will be more than that though!!!
    You know Joel, you are a very generous person and I am grateful for all you have taught me and your willingness to help me succeed and reach my goals!!
    I was thinking about the DL on Max out day. I didn't really understand why you set it at 110%. I kept thinking isn't this when I should work on DL strength? Then I hit me BAM! It had nothing to do with dl. It has everything to do with preparing my body and esp my MIND for higher snatch and cleans. It the weight doesn't feel heavy or uncomfortably heavy in the first pull, I am more likely to make the lift.
    BINGO! You're seeing the bigger picture, JJ! Great thinking..

There's no doubt you can do more than 110% DL. But again, as you know, it's goes back to the keyword 'carryover.' 110% will give you confidence on the first pull, it will also allow you to keep the integrity of the bar path. In other words, if you exceed 110% you will risk ingraining bad movement pattern.

BTW, here is vid of Josh Gilbert. He is a nationally ranked weightlifter, but he competed in powerlifting last year. He is being coached by John Broz in Las Vegas. He did well as a powerlifter.. As you can see, he squatted Olympic high bar and deadlifted clean grip with WL shoes.. His teammates lifted in a similar fashion and did just as well. They only prepared for this meet for one week.

John Broz subscribes to the Bulgarian philosophy. They only train snatch, clean, jerk, power snatch, power clean, squat and front squat... THAT'S IT! They don't even deadlift in training. The reason they don't DL is because they do enough first pull in the snatch and clean.

Here is Josh doing competing in weightlifting.

There is another coach in LSU by the name of Dr. Kyle Pierce. His training philosophy has a bit more variation. His weightlifters do deadlift and benchpress. His philosophy is a bit more Soviet.

I wanted to share this to show you that it is possible to compete in both WL and PL, and do well in both.
    This above all..

jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jshaw5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is a "clean grip" deadlift? How is it different than a conventional deadlift?

PR's - Gym / Meet
    Press - 185 lbs

"Yes, if you squat wrong it fukcs things up. If you squat correctly, those same fukced-up things will unfukc themselves.� - Rip

What is a "clean grip" deadlift? How is it different than a conventional deadlift?
    Good question. Clean grip is when you grab the bar with hook grip and both hands are overhand as opposed to alternate grip.. It's basically as if you are going to clean the bar.
    This above all..

Good question. Clean grip is when you grab the bar with hook grip and both hands are overhand as opposed to alternate grip.. It's basically as if you are going to clean the bar.
    Was going to say hook grip, as layne norton likes to do as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmfBDdfgaY

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    John Broz subscribes to the Bulgarian philosophy. They only train snatch, clean, jerk, power snatch, power clean, squat and front squat... THAT'S IT! They don't even deadlift in training. The reason they don't DL is because they do enough first pull in the snatch and clean.
    I should mention that, after training for weightlifting for about 2 year and not deadlifting at all, I finally got a wild hair and tried conventional deads one day. I ended up adding 10 pounds to a PR I had set two years previously. Granted, this is not the most efficient way to improve one's deadlift, but it does prove that your pull will remain strong through weightlifting training, even if you're not deadlifting.

Edit: I should add, only crazy people with a high tolerance for pain deadlift with a hook grip. It works, but damn!

Oh ok. That's actually how I deadlift anyway lol. I've never cared for the over under grip, don't like the idea of having that imbalance, plus the increased risk of bicep tear.

*EDIT* lol didn't see this before I wrote that. IMO, deadlifting with hook grip isn't too bad when you're pulling singles. It's when you start getting into reps that really sucks.
    Edit: I should add, only crazy people with a high tolerance for pain deadlift with a hook grip. It works, but damn!

PR's - Gym / Meet
    Press - 185 lbs

*EDIT* lol didn't see this before I wrote that. IMO, deadlifting with hook grip isn't too bad when you're pulling singles. It's when you start getting into reps that really sucks.
    I deadlift about twice my max C&J. For C&J, hook grip feels fine. When I've tried hook grip for my deads, I've found myself swearing a little and rubbing my thumbs afterwards. Maybe if I taped my thumbs I'd swear a little less. Still, since I'm comfortable with alternate grip, hook grip for deads seems an unnecessary struggle. Also, based on what I've heard and read, bicep tears don't occur anywhere near the weights I'm lifting (400-ish pounds). It takes a lot of weight to tear tendon from bone (700-ish pounds).

I was 100% Clueless you had 2 people doing your training already or else i would not have sent you a set up plan, I was totally lost when you kept yelling back at me about your training and how it was setup. So now it makes a little more sense.

let me just focus on nutrition. i do not want to step on anyones toes in here that you have been working with, this way i can handle that, and they can handle your training so you dont have to backlash at me

I dont want cows coming over to my house and sacraficing me for my emails haha
    We do no sacrificing around here!! Never fear!!

BINGO! You're seeing the bigger picture, JJ! Great thinking..

There's no doubt you can do more than 110% DL. But again, as you know, it's goes back to the keyword 'carryover.' 110% will give you confidence on the first pull, it will also allow you to keep the integrity of the bar path. In other words, if you exceed 110% you will risk ingraining bad movement pattern.

BTW, here is vid of Josh Gilbert. He is a nationally ranked weightlifter, but he competed in powerlifting last year. He is being coached by John Broz in Las Vegas. He did well as a powerlifter.. As you can see, he squatted Olympic high bar and deadlifted clean grip with WL shoes.. His teammates lifted in a similar fashion and did just as well. They only prepared for this meet for one week.

Here is Josh doing competing in weightlifting.

There is another coach in LSU by the name of Dr. Kyle Pierce. His training philosophy has a bit more variation. His weightlifters do deadlift and benchpress. His philosophy is a bit more Soviet.

I wanted to share this to show you that it is possible to compete in both WL and PL, and do well in both.
    I will call them first pulls then instead of DL. Might make a little more sense.
    He has got a really narrow pull stance on the snatch! His knees can do crazy things!
    I believe you can do anything you set your heart and mind to. You just have to find a way to get there!!!

This is what I use whenever I pull the bar. Even on RDL's or SLDL. It has become ingrained to pick up the bar that way.

I should mention that, after training for weightlifting for about 2 year and not deadlifting at all, I finally got a wild hair and tried conventional deads one day. I ended up adding 10 pounds to a PR I had set two years previously. Granted, this is not the most efficient way to improve one's deadlift, but it does prove that your pull will remain strong through weightlifting training, even if you're not deadlifting.

Crazy club checking in!! I can not tell you how many times the day after DL I am like what in the world did I do to my thumbs!! They kill me! But it sure as hell works!

Oh ok. That's actually how I deadlift anyway lol. I've never cared for the over under grip, don't like the idea of having that imbalance, plus the increased risk of bicep tear.

Yes, the singles and double are cool by me. It is the 8-10 AMRAP that do my thumbs in!
    Spoon Barbell Club

Love over fear

Hey you live in PA too? Where at I am in Erie and my brother lives in Pittsburgh

Yes, the singles and double are cool by me. It is the 8-10 AMRAP that do my thumbs in!
    Haha yeah no thanks on 8-10 reps. Fortunately my grip strength is strong enough that if I can do 8-10 reps, I can do at least 6-8 reps with DOH before I have to switch to hook grip.

PR's - Gym / Meet
    Press - 185 lbs

Crazy club checking in!! I can not tell you how many times the day after DL I am like what in the world did I do to my thumbs!! They kill me! But it sure as hell works!
    My daughter will probably be the same. I've had her experimenting with different grips and she HATES alternate grip. That leaves...

Hey you live in PA too? Where at I am in Erie and my brother lives in Pittsburgh
    Yeah, man.. I live in Northeast PA.. Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area.

I love Pitt. It’s a nice city.. Plus my family is a hardcore Steelers fan..
    This above all..

That’s funny you mentioned this, Steve.. I did the same just four months ago.

Before taking up weightlifting my best conventional deadlift, alternate grip was 300-lbs. Then like you I decided to go geriatric and tested my DL.

315-lb clean grip with first pull bar path went up no problem. So that was technically a PR. .Then I added 20 more pounds. 335-lb was my new PR with hook grip and wearing WL shoes.

Then I really tried to go full-geriatric and attempted 350-lbs. That freakin’ thing didn’t even move. Then it really put things in perspective how 69-kg weightlifters can snatch the same weight.

But at any rate, I tried to DL with the ‘deliberately controlled first pull’ mindset as a result of ingrained movement.
    This above all..