Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000)

A Beginner's 5/3/1 Journal

I've just started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine, so thought I might as well keep a log to maybe get people's thoughts on how I'm approaching it, and also as a tool to keep me motivated.

A bit of background:

Ok, so I've been back training for around 6 months and have been going quite well with consistent training, generally good nutrition/supplementation and making reasonable strength gains, whilst seeing some good changes in my body.

In the past I've trained off and on at various stages but with no where near as much knowledge as I have been applying. I'm really loving going to the gym and I know its a cliche but its really improving my whole life.

Previously I've always used a bodybuilding mentality, with Arnie's encyclopaedia my main source of knowledge. So when I started training this year, I started off down the same track. Then, I became aware of bb.com and found it to be a great source of information. So about 4 months ago I started the Y3T program. Completed that a bit over 4 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Made some good gains throughout the program.

Why I chose Wendler:

After Y3T, my partner and I had planned to start the Kris Gethin Hardcore 12wk trainer. However my partner was training for a half marathon (which she did yesterday) so she didn't want to start until today. As such I pretty much had a four week period between Y3T and the Gethin trainer, so I wasn't real sure what I wanted to do. I decided to just do a few weeks of Gethin's training program to fill in with the intention of restarting when my partner was ready.

However, after the first 3 weeks I found I was enjoying some of the workouts, but not some of the others. I really didn't like how it is a bit all over the shop and no workout is ever the same so there is no real way of tracking progress. Over the last few weeks I had also started lurking around this section of the forum. So based on what I had started to read, last week I employed my own sort of hybrid 5x5 (ish) program, pairing what I saw as the main 4 lifts (bench, press, deads and squats) with some assistance work geared towards bbing.

I really enjoyed this type of training and the fact that it enabled great tracking of progression on the main lifts. Throughout last week I did a bit more research, and decided to look in to 5/3/1 a bit more (had obviously seen it around a fair bit). Basically it fit the bill perfectly so I picked up the ebook and have since knocked over the parts relevant to me (i.e. 95% of it).

So here I am sitting in front of the computer typing this journal after my first workout (squat day). Also, to not be two much of an a'hole to my missus, I'm going to incorporate some of the Gethin workouts into my assistance workout, where I see fit.

Current stats (all in kg's):

Height: 174cm
    Weight: 80-81kg @ probably 16-18% bf (would like this to drop but we'll see what happens).
    Lifts:
    - Squat 5x110 = 1RM of 125
    - Bench 5x72.5 = 1RM of 82.5
    - Dead 1x160 = 1RM of 160
    - Press 5x45 = 1RM of 50

So starting lifts (i.e. 90% of 1RM) are as follows:
    - Squat 115
    - Bench 75
    - Dead 145
    - Press 45

I'm using the spreadsheet prepared by Pazienxa, so thanks again for that.

Today's workout - Squat day:

So, I kind of over indulged in beer/red wine yesterday (first time in a long time, and won't be doing it again in a hurry, although I did enjoy it at the time), so wasn't expecting the best workout.

So my squat sets looked like this:

Warmups
    5x40
    5x50
    5x60

Working sets
    5x75
    5x87.5
    6x97.5

Really thought I would get more out on the last set but anyway, form was fairly horrible too (all other sets were good form imo). I'm not sure whether this was due to the hangover or if I have over-estimated my squat max. I have only just been getting my form right for squats so maybe that's the case. I think I will reassess next week and drop it down if I don't nail it. I'm fairly confident I haven't over-estimated any other lifts but I was always a bit concerned on this one.

Followed that up with Boring But Big squats, as follows:

5x10x45

Nailed these sets from a form perspective and got all the reps out, was hard work by the end though.

I also through in some Leg Extensions, SLDL (DB's), a few pull ups (max 4, this is an area I really want to improve) and some ab work. Might do a bit of cardio before I cark it for the night too.

Looking forward to bench day tomorrow and hope someone got something out of this....

enigma5188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) enigma5188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) enigma5188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey mate,

Good stuff - recently embarking on 5/3/1 as a beginner aswell. Maxes about 10kg less than yours (except Press which is the same - weird - always been stronger at press relative to my other exercises...) so we're in the same boat.

I'm tackling 5/3/1 with the Boring But Big Challenge (can't link as <50 posts, but google it), it's essentially just BBB template over 3 mesocycles, but you increase the BBB set weight by 10% of your max each cycle (so 50%, 60% and 70% of your T max). As you probably know by reading the eBook, Wendler is a big fan of chin / pull-ups, so I'm peppering about 8-10 reps of them in between most sets of pushing / legs exercises to get some good back/bi work in there, too. If you do that I'd say your 4 reps will quickly shoot up! Also doing leg press / ab work on lower days and throwing in some dips / rows on upper days - I'll see how I handle the increased volume - if it's too much I'll tone down. Still, it ends up being about 20 sets a work out, so I don't think it'll be too much to handle.

Should be good, tested my maxes this week and starting it on Saturday.

Good luck with it mate, subbed.

Cheers.

LittleMeech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Schultzy85 View Post
    I've just started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine, so thought I might as well keep a log to maybe get people's thoughts on how I'm approaching it, and also as a tool to keep me motivated.

A bit of background:

Why I chose Wendler:

After Y3T, my partner and I had planned to start the Kris Gethin Hardcore 12wk trainer. However my partner was training for a half marathon (which she did yesterday) so she didn't want to start until today. As such I pretty much had a four week period between Y3T and the Gethin trainer, so I wasn't real sure what I wanted to do. I decided to just do a few weeks of Gethin's training program to fill in with the intention of restarting when my partner was ready.

However, after the first 3 weeks I found I was enjoying some of the workouts, but not some of the others. I really didn't like how it is a bit all over the shop and no workout is ever the same so there is no real way of tracking progress. Over the last few weeks I had also started lurking around this section of the forum. So based on what I had started to read, last week I employed my own sort of hybrid 5x5 (ish) program, pairing what I saw as the main 4 lifts (bench, press, deads and squats) with some assistance work geared towards bbing.

I really enjoyed this type of training and the fact that it enabled great tracking of progression on the main lifts. Throughout last week I did a bit more research, and decided to look in to 5/3/1 a bit more (had obviously seen it around a fair bit). Basically it fit the bill perfectly so I picked up the ebook and have since knocked over the parts relevant to me (i.e. 95% of it).

So here I am sitting in front of the computer typing this journal after my first workout (squat day). Also, to not be two much of an a'hole to my missus, I'm going to incorporate some of the Gethin workouts into my assistance workout, where I see fit.

Current stats (all in kg's):

Height: 174cm
    Weight: 80-81kg @ probably 16-18% bf (would like this to drop but we'll see what happens).
    Lifts:
    - Squat 5x110 = 1RM of 125
    - Bench 5x72.5 = 1RM of 82.5
    - Dead 1x160 = 1RM of 160
    - Press 5x45 = 1RM of 50

So starting lifts (i.e. 90% of 1RM) are as follows:
    - Squat 115
    - Bench 75
    - Dead 145
    - Press 45
    Hi, it would have been better to choose starting strength if you are a beginner but its somewhat rigid, seeing your rationale behind choosing the 5/3/1 program. I think it might be better for you to still keep the splits/format that you have but instead of doing 5/3/1, add weight like your doing SS or bill starr 5 x 5, i.e. every workout instead of every month like on Wendler's program. Its still a strength training program since your working with 5s and progressing each week. Either way good luck

Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000) Schultzy85 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok time to stop being a slacker and get my journal back on track.

After my first workout above I come down with the flu so didn't work out again until Friday of last week (Squat day being Monday). So I quickly pumped out the remaining three weeks workouts over Fri/Sat/Sun. Results quickly as follows:

Fri - Bench Day: Top set 5x65kg (kept good form so reasonably happy)
    Sat - Press Day: Top set 7x40kg (should have been deadlift day but got them mixed up for some reason)
    Sun - Deadlift Day: Top set 5x122.5kg

I was still feeling a bit ill (well not so much ill as down on energy as a result of being ill) so didn't set the world on fire with these workouts, but got in the gym and got the reps I needed, so fairly happy.

I've just completed the second week now (3x3), workouts were Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri (it's now Sunday). Again, quick summary as follows:

Mon - Squat Day: Top set 6x102.5kg (form pretty shaky on the last but the first 5 were good, did boring but big at 50kg as assistance and a couple of other things)
    Tues - Bench Day: Top set 5x67.5kg (kept good form again. Added incline, flyes and some tricep presses as assistance)
    Wed - Deadlift Day: Top set 6x130kg (pretty happy with this, could have maybe got another but would've been tough, added some DB rows, pullups and curls as assistance)
    Fri - Press Day: Top set 10x40kg (very happy with this considering I got 3 reps more than last week at same weight, added BBB as assistance here also)

Overall a much better week and I'm feeling much stronger than I was in the latter part of week 1. Looking forward to starting again with Squat day tomorrow!!!

Also did an event called 'The Stampede' yesterday. The event is a 10km mud/obstacle run and I enjoyed the hell out of it. A good bit of hardcore cardio to finish off the week and I was surprised how well I went considering I haven't been doing much cardio lately.

Originally Posted by enigma5188 View Post
    Hey mate,

Good stuff - recently embarking on 5/3/1 as a beginner aswell. Maxes about 10kg less than yours (except Press which is the same - weird - always been stronger at press relative to my other exercises...) so we're in the same boat.

I'm tackling 5/3/1 with the Boring But Big Challenge (can't link as <50 posts, but google it), it's essentially just BBB template over 3 mesocycles, but you increase the BBB set weight by 10% of your max each cycle (so 50%, 60% and 70% of your T max). As you probably know by reading the eBook, Wendler is a big fan of chin / pull-ups, so I'm peppering about 8-10 reps of them in between most sets of pushing / legs exercises to get some good back/bi work in there, too. If you do that I'd say your 4 reps will quickly shoot up! Also doing leg press / ab work on lower days and throwing in some dips / rows on upper days - I'll see how I handle the increased volume - if it's too much I'll tone down. Still, it ends up being about 20 sets a work out, so I don't think it'll be too much to handle.

Should be good, tested my maxes this week and starting it on Saturday.

Good luck with it mate, subbed.

Cheers.
    Thanks heaps for the comment. I've been adding in BBB to some of my workouts and it really smashes you. So good luck with the Challenge. I've been trying to add in pull ups to every other workout as well, so as you said I'm sure I'll be hitting double figures pretty quickly. Are you going to post a journal also - will sub if so.

Originally Posted by LittleMeech View Post
    Hi, it would have been better to choose starting strength if you are a beginner but its somewhat rigid, seeing your rationale behind choosing the 5/3/1 program. I think it might be better for you to still keep the splits/format that you have but instead of doing 5/3/1, add weight like your doing SS or bill starr 5 x 5, i.e. every workout instead of every month like on Wendler's program. Its still a strength training program since your working with 5s and progressing each week. Either way good luck
    Definitely appreciate the advice. I wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner but I am to the 'strength' approach to lifting. I've always taken a 'bodybuilding' approach. So far I'm enjoying this more than my previous programs. I have looked into both SS (actually reading this at the moment to get a greater understanding of the mechanics of the lifts) and 5x5 but I just really liked the layout of 5/3/1 more. I'm not too concerned about slow progress either, as Wendler says as long as I can keep the progress going for a long time that will be great.

Week 3 - Squat Day

Keeping on top of the training log this time, got out of the gym about 45 mins ago. Start of week 3, 5/3/1 week.

Monday = Squat day, legs were still pretty sore from ‘The Stampede’ event on Saturday. Legs not used to running 10km/hills…

Warm up sets:

Bar x 5
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 3

Really trying to nail my form on squats so spent some time down low on these feeling it out.

Work sets:

87.5kg x 5 – fairly tough five reps but kept form good.
    97.5kg x 3 – bout the same as the last set.
    110kg x 3 – was hoping to get about five reps out but the third was an absolute grinder so didn’t go down again. Kept form pretty good for all three reps so happy with that (better than previous top sets in weeks 1/2).

Assistance work:

Hit up Boring But Big again this week. In my opinion the best assistance work for legs is just more squats… Absolutely love squats, makes Monday a great day. Supersetted BBB squats with pull ups (various grips including some super wide on a new pull up bar) and generally managed 3-5 each set.

Then hit up some decline abs also supersetted with pull ups for 3 sets.

Probably got about 25 pull ups all up so pretty happy with that, definitely progressing them!

Questions:

I’ve got a couple of queries for anyone who may be reading and appreciate any input.

- Do I really need to do the deload week? Don’t really feel I need it and given I’m not a huge lifter I feel my body doesn’t need it at this stage, would rather just go back to 3x5 week.
    - Also, can I shorten up each cycle if I’m feeling ok to hook straight back in. For example, one rest day somewhere between Mon and Fri (depending on work schedule), rest day Saturday then start another ‘week’ on Sunday. Probably wouldn’t do this every week depending on schedule and how my body is feeling.

I definitely don’t want to overtrain so would definitely just gauge how my body is feeling.

Week 3 (5/3/1) - Bench Day

Ok trained chest today around lunchtime.

Warm up sets:

30kg x 5
    37.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 3

All good here, no problems. Focussing on form and getting the bar down nice and low.

Work sets:

57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    72.5kg x 3 (I think, had a spot and got a bit of assistance on the last rep but I think that was number 4)

Reasonably tough sets. I think I set my 1RM a bit high (i.e. reps were not full ROM in the set I used) as I'm not quite getting the reps I should going nice and low. Going to persevere for a while though as I'm still getting the minimum reps with good form then generally last 1/2 reps are a bit ordinary (i.e. within 1 inch of chest but not quite touching).

Strong focus on form and leg drive in these sets...

Assistance work:

Hit up Boring But Big on chest day for the first time since starting this program (have been doing it for squats and once for MP).

10 x 50kg, 50kg, 45kg, 40kg, 40kg

Supersetted these with pull ups. Various grips and probably got about 15-20 total.

Needed to get back to work in a hurry today so just got the hell out after this.

Bootcamp:

Work has just started doing a bootcamp (as of today) so took that as a good opportunity for a bit of conditioning work. This was at about 5.30. Being the first one was relatively easy but still a good hitout. Did various interval/plyo/bodyweight type exercises. Paused push ups and squats were tough after bench day today and squats yesterday. Definitely feel like I'm one of the fitter people at work and definitely the strongest!!! Hahaha but still nowhere near where I want to be, they're all basically a bunch of pussies (not completely serious) so not much not brag about.

Also, would appreciate any advice on my questions above although I think I'm definitely gonna go ahead and scrap deload week, at least for this cycle.

Wednesday - Deadlift Day (5/3/1 week)

Hamstrings were unbelievably sore today after bootcamp yesterday and squat day monday. Almost considered not doing deads today and just hitting the gym for some cardio/conditioning (although that didn't exactly excite me either). Didn't work out too badly after all though.

Warm up sets:

55kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    82.5kg x 3

Nice easy warm up.

Work sets:

110kg x 5
    122.5kg x 3
    137.5kg x 5

Pretty happy with this. Was actually really happy with the top set until I got our of the gym, checked my spreadsheet and realised I should've went for number 6 to match my 1RM of 160kg.... Anyways...

Also managed to scrape a scab on my leg and bleed all over the gym (not quite but a bit of blood). So I guess I'll take that as taking a good bar path!

Assistance work:

Did some pull ups by themselves today. Got 6 out in the first set which is a max. Hopefully won't be too long to crack double figures. Got about 20-25 out in total, various grips as always. Also did some T-bar rows and bicep curls to finish off.

Tomorrow's an off day. My work's bootcamp is on again but I've got a meeting that might make me miss it. Gonna try and see if I can get there though as I enjoyed the first one. Otherwise, Friday Press day...

Press Day - 5/3/1 Week

Shoulder day today. Hit the gym a bit before lunchtime.

Warm up sets:

20kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 3

Work sets:

35kg x 5
    37.5kg x 3
    42.5kg x 8

Probably could've got 9/10 here but number 9 was a bit of a struggle so I just racked it. Leave a bit in the tank as Wendler suggests.

Assistance work:

BBB as is becoming the norm now. Supersetted with pull ups which is also becoming the norm. BBB consisted of 4 x 10 x 27.5kg and 1 x 10 x 25kg. Really smashed the shoulders.

Then did standing calf raises supersetted with situps supersetted with pullups to finish up. 3 sets total.

First set of pull ups got 7 really good ones, so very happy with that, basically setting a PB on these everytime I'm in the gym. Didn't do any more than 4 in a set after that though, but got about 35 out in total.

Pretty good workout, needed to get out of the gym pretty quickly and hit the reps I needed. Going to hook into Squat day on Sunday DOMs pending, legs are still pretty sore today but I think I'll be right come Sunday. As per previous posts I'm gonna give deload week a miss and just hook straight into Week 1 Cycle 2.

Cycle 2 - 5+ week

Ok, so I've had a bit of a busy week this week so haven't had a chance to update my log. I have managed to get into the gym for all 4 of my 3x5 workouts though, so I'll just post a quick summary of the top sets.

Sunday - Squat Day - 5 x 102.5kg
    Monday - Bench Day - 7 x 65kg
    Tuesday - Dead Day - 8 x 127.5kg
    Friday - Press Day - 11 x 40kg

Pretty happy all round this week with the exception of squats. Was a struggle just to get what I did. I think as long as I'm getting the reps I'll continue at the weights I'm at. Would like to get more reps on bench but certainly happy with 7, form is much improved.

Assistance work mainly consisted of BBB (on all lifts other than Deads) and threw in a fair amount of pull ups, plus some other bits and pieces. Happy with progress on pullups, set a PR of 7 reps and also got 4 sets of 5 and 1 of 3 supersetted with Press BBB.

Also did a bit of cardio work in terms of my own circuit style training (plyos, sprints etc) plus a bootcamp session with work.

In to 3x3 week now, Squat day today, hopefully I can do a bit better than last week....

Cycle 2 - Squat 3+ Day

Finally cracked and paired back my squats a little bit. Made it work that my lowest topset going forward will be 100kg, so I don't have to root around trying to get 97.5kg or something. Was about the reduction I wanted too. So today's topset was the same as 5+ day last week.

Warm up sets:

40kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 3

Work sets:

80kg x 3
    92.5kg x 3
    102.5kg x 5

This is the first time I've been really happy with my form AND got a couple more than the prescribed reps. Fifth rep was a real grinder and my lower back collapsed a bit but I got it up. Overall happy with the decision to lower the weight a bit. Topset would've been 107.5kg if I didn't drop it so not a massive change.

Assistance work:

BBB - 5 x 10 @ 62.5kg

This was a really tough 5 sets, but got through them, was absolutely destroyed by the end but pretty sure my form was pretty spot on. Really making some progress with squat form, this workout particularly. Although looking around the gym I'm sure noone appreciates it. Looking around the gym at all the regulars, and I'm sure there is only one of them that even squats (old dude who's form is crappola)... Was going to superset squats with pullups but after first set of 5 I had a big blister/cut on my right hand so left it alone. I think I've bled in the gym 4 out 5 of my last workouts lol.

Then did some foam rolling and some sprints (gym has a 30m sprint track, so did 6 x 180m intervals), followed by a little bit of weighted ab work. Hopefully all that made up for Maccas last night....

Oh, almost forgot to mention, after my second warm up set for squats, I ditched my shoes and went barefoot (well I had socks on). Seriously NEVER SQUATTING IN SHOES AGAIN. This was a revelation, have been squatting in my 'minimalistic' type runners and didn't think they were too bad but I guess I thought wrong. Gonna have to ditch shoes for deads now too, hopefully I don't get told off (don't think it will be an issue).

Cycle 2 - Bench 3+ Day

Wasn't feeling the greatest today, had a bit of a late one last night watching the cricket (go the Aussies), so only got about 5hrs of not great sleep. Had a big day yesterday and again this morning putting together some furniture so energy stores probably a bit low. But in any case, wanted to get the session done.

Warm up sets:

30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    42.5kg x 3

Work sets:

55kg x 3
    62.5kg x 3
    70kg x 3

Got the prescribed reps only but form was good so reasonably happy.

Assistance work:

BBB - 4 x 10 x 47.5kg and 1 x 10 x 45kg. Then threw in some dips (about 4 x 4, would like to improve on these similarly to pullups) and supersetted incline flyes with french press to finish off.

Looking forward to deadlift day tomorrow!!!

Cycle 2 - Deadlift 3+ Day

Just finished this week's deadlift session, was a good session. Trained with a training partner today for the first time in ages.... Was good motivation for a good session. The guy I trained with used to lift bit but hasn't lifted consistently for a couple of years, hoping to get him back into it again (I train at lunchtime and he works with me so should work out good). I was reasonably impressed that my lifting was pretty much on par with his (considering he has way more experience and about 25kg on me). Although he'll kill me on bench day.

Warm up sets:

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3

Work sets:

105kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    135kg x 7

Wanted 7, got 7. This was a rep PR (1RM calculated at 162.5kg), so happy with that although I know if I did some heavy singles I would get more than that. Might have to do some next week. Last rep was a grinder, but locked it out with reasonable form, don't know if I had another one in me. Partner got 7 also, which was pretty good considering he hasn't trained much lately (but he is a big guy, no homo).

Assistance work:

Did a couple of sets of pull ups, but I've got a big blister in the middle of the hand and partner was struggling to get more than 2 reps, so we moved onto some lat pull downs, T-bar rows and bi curls. Threw in dropsets on the last set of each for good measure.

Press day next and looks like my mate is up for it again, so good times to ensue.

Cycle 2 Press 3+ Day

Yesterday was press day, trained with bloke from work again. Good session, love training shoulders.

Warm up sets:

20kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 3

Work sets:

32.5kg x 3
    37.5kg x 3
    42.5kg x 10

Felt pretty good with these, got the ten out pretty well.

Assistance work:

Did BBB but with dumbells instead of the barbell, because my mate wanted to press the dumbells. Pressed the 17.5kg for 4 x 10 and 1 x 9.5... I think I can press more weight for more reps with DB's than BB. As an example last week I did BBB with BB and the 5 x 10 was a struggle (maybe something to do with doing them seated also). Weird also because bench press is definitely the other way around, can bench way more on BB than DB's.

Did a giant set of various raises to finish of shoulders then some calves and abs to finish off the session.

All in all a good hitout and the intensity of the workout definitely steps up a bit with a training partner.

Had bootcamp in the afternoon also, which just polished me off for the day. Boxing was especially hard on shoulder day... Looking forward to 5/3/1 week starting in a couple of days.

Cycle 2 - Squat 5/3/1 Day

Started a new week today, squatted on Saturday so not a massive rest, but had bootcamp after the gym session so thought I would be better off doing squats before than tomorrow. Worked our all right in the end.

Warm up sets:

I always do a couple warm ups with no weight and just the bar also, to get a good feel for the movement.

45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 3

Work sets:

87.5kg x 5
    97.5kg x 3
    110kg x 3

Felt really good here. Might not look great as it is the same weight and reps as last cycle but I feel form and depth has improved tenfold. Definitely could've got a fourth too but wanted to leave a bit in the tank...

Assistance work:

BBB - 5 x 10 x 75kg. This was tough going, but got through them all. Supersetted these with pullups, got 6 sets of 5 (last rep was an absolute battle and might have been a touch low but I'm counting it!). Stoked with the pullups as a few weeks ago I could barely do two at a time. Gonna aim for sets of 6 now, then 7, etc etc. Think I might start adding a bit of weight once I can get 5 x 15 or something like that.

Finished off with some back raises, or whatever they're called. 3 x 10 bodyweight, mainly just to stretch it out a bit.

Then pretty much went straight to bootcamp, which pretty much consisted of plyos and bodyweight type movements. Was a really good session, thought my legs would be a bit fried from all the squats but went surprisingly well.

trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Damn mate, nice BBB. How is lower BBB in terms of recovery? I'm using the simple strength template for my lower accessories because I'm not sure how well I'd go with lower BBB

Originally Posted by trancebreak View Post
    Damn mate, nice BBB. How is lower BBB in terms of recovery? I'm using the simple strength template for my lower accessories because I'm not sure how well I'd go with lower BBB
    Mate looking back, I actually think I told a small lie there. Squat BBB was 70kg, not 75kg,m but anyway... It's fairly tough to be perfectly honest, DOMS for at least a few days after, especially with the high intensity cardio I've been doing (sprints/plyos etc). A couple of times it's made me think twice about deadlift day but each time I've just got in the gym and it hasn't worked out too bad at all. Has helped big time with my squats though, it probably doesn't look like I'm moving ahead in leaps and bounds but most of the improvement is in form. I'd highly recommend it, can't hurt to give it a crack at least once!

Cycle 2 - Bench 5/3/1 Day

About to head of to the gym for deadlift day, so thought I better post my chest workout from Friday. Trained with mate from work again.

Warm up sets:

30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 3

Work sets:

57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    72.5kg x 3 (top set)

80kg x 1 (extra set)

Would've been happy with a couple more reps on the top set but can't complain. Form was great, touched chest for each rep. Decided to have a crack at a bodyweight bench, and got it! Was a tough rep but got it there, so very happy with that...

Assistance work:

Followed up with some dips, sets of about 8, 6, 4, 3.5... Again, getting better with these. Then supersetted incline DB with incline Flyes. Some quick tricep pressdowns to finish off.

All in all was a good workout, very happy with the bodyweight bench, now on to the two plater...

Cycle 2 - Dead 5/3/1 Day

Just finished up deadlift day, was an interesting session. I think I was down on energy a bit as I'm used to training with at least two meals under my belt, but wasn't too bad overall.

Warm up sets:

60kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    85kg x 3

Work sets:

112.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 3
    142.5kg x 5 (top set)

Really wanted 6 on the top set to set a rep PR but just didn't think I would get it there. 5th rep was quite tough. Decided I'd try a couple of heavy singles but in retrospect probably shouldn't have.

152.5kg x 0 (grip failure, just didn't grab the bar right and hardly got it off the ground)
    152.5kg x 1 (got it this time, easy enough)
    165kg x 0 (tried to set a 1RM here, got it three quarters of the way there, grip was struggling but I don't think it was the limiting factor, maybe need to work in some rack pulls or something to improve last half of the rep)

Kroc Rows:

Decided to throw in some Kroc Rows, and absolutely loved them.

20kg x 10 and 25kg x 10 warm ups
    25kg x 24 all out set

Really enjoyed these, I can definitely see how they improve grip strength, did some curls afterwards and grip was STRUGGLING... Going to aim for 30 rep sets then step up the weight.

Assistance work:

Did some pull ups before Kroc Rows, wasn't really feeling them but got 3 x 5 and 1 x 3/4 or something... Also did some back raises and DB curls.

Attempted some HIIT on the rower afterwards (in an attempt to let my legs have a rest), but didn't get to far as my grip by this stage was absolutely fekked... About 12 mins worth so probably wasn't too bad.

Went and picked myself up a foam roller afterwards also, gonna start doing a bit more of that.

trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trancebreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice deadlifts buddy. Kroc rows should fix that grip issue, it did for me. How often do you kroc row weekly? I find that alternating between straps and strapless twice a week or every week helped my deadlift alot

Thanks mate. First time on the Kroc Rows, definitely gonna add em in though, twice a week sounds like a good idea. I always try and do a bit of back work on chest day so that will probably work well. Might stay strapless for a little while and see how I go...

Thanks mate. First time on the Kroc Rows, definitely gonna add em in though, twice a week sounds like a good idea. I always try and do a bit of back work on chest day so that will probably work well. Might stay strapless for a little while and see how I go...
    Fair enough mate. Can't get enough pulling on your bench/press days haha, love it. Deload week for me this week, going to feel good.

Cycle 2 - Press 5/3/1 Day

Today's workout = pretty ****house.... Creatine, it's a hell of a drug. Had a **** diet over the weekend, and between having a fair few beers and not drinking enough water I must've been a bit dehydrated today. So a little way into my workout I got a shocker of a creatine headache so made most of my workout painful. Anyway, worked through it and got the work done...

Warm up sets:

20kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 3

Work sets:

35kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 7 (top set)

Bit ordinary here but anyway, got at least a reasonable amount of reps... Would've liked to get 10 but just no energy.

Assistance work:

Hit up BBB and got 27.5kg x 5 x 10 fairly easily (except for my head trying to explode). Then went for some Kroc Rows, a couple of warm ups the hit 30 x 25kg, so time to step up to the 27.5kg DB's next time...

That was it... Head was killing me so I bailed....

Cycle 3 - Squat 5+ Day

Have only been in the gym twice since my last post. The first was a failed squat day last Wed/Thurs. This day was a bit of a fail... Headache from press day flaired up horrendously, obviously damaged something up there obviously not a once off thing. Got up to my first work set and just had to get out of the gym. Thought I'd have a few rest days and try again.

So I got back into the gym on Sunday to repeat squat day. Headache flaired up again but not nearly as bad. Was able to get through my work at least...

Warm up sets:

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3

Work sets:

77.5kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    102.5kg x 6

Was reasonably happy with that as it is a rep PR (but much improved form) and would definitely have got a couple more if my head wasn't going to explode.

That was it, head was f**ked so I got out of there.

Probably get back in the gym tomorrow for Bench day, hopefully my head is healed as it is ****ting me off...

Cycle 3 - Bench 5+ Day

Ok gave my broken head a couple of days rest but just needed to get back in the gym today. Head still a bit ordinary but at least allowed me to work at 80% and not want to die...

Warm up sets:

30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 3

Work sets:

52.5kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 6

Not to bad really. Equal rep PR for bench and definitely had more reps if I wasn't still a bit off...

Assistance Work:

Kroc rows: A couple of warm ups the 27.5kg x 31 reps.... Pretty happy with that and gave a massive pump to forearms, bis, and back... And goal of 30 reps hit so onto the 30's next time. Will be onto the 40's in no time, then wut do??? (max at my gym)

Incline DB Press (BBB Style): 20kg DB's x 10, 10, 9, 10, 7

Then a couple of supersets of flyes and french press and that was it.

Felt good to get back into the gym and not have my head (quite) explode.... Reasonably happy with the workout too.

Ok gave my broken head a couple of days rest but just needed to get back in the gym today. Head still a bit ordinary but at least allowed me to work at 80% and not want to die...

Warm up sets:

30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 3

Work sets:

52.5kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 6

Not to bad really. Equal rep PR for bench and definitely had more reps if I wasn't still a bit off...

Assistance Work:

Kroc rows: A couple of warm ups the 27.5kg x 31 reps.... Pretty happy with that and gave a massive pump to forearms, bis, and back... And goal of 30 reps hit so onto the 30's next time. Will be onto the 40's in no time, then wut do??? (max at my gym)

Incline DB Press (BBB Style): 20kg DB's x 10, 10, 9, 10, 7

Then a couple of supersets of flyes and french press and that was it.

Felt good to get back into the gym and not have my head (quite) explode.... Reasonably happy with the workout too.
    Nice rows mate. Ashame 40 is the max at your gym, it'll be a bit annoying when you're repping 40 for 40 haha. My gyms max is like 56 so I think I'm sorted for the next few months. Get better soon brah!

Originally Posted by trancebreak View Post
    Nice rows mate. Ashame 40 is the max at your gym, it'll be a bit annoying when you're repping 40 for 40 haha. My gyms max is like 56 so I think I'm sorted for the next few months. Get better soon brah!
    Cheers brah.... Don't know what I'm gonna do when I hit the 40's.... Don't think it'll be too long either, hit the 30's for 30 today, grip struggled a bit after deadlifts today and Krocs last workout, so think next time I'll hit the 32.5's for 30 too. Loving them though, cheers for the recommendation!

Cycle 3 - Dead 5+ Day

So today went really well!!! Head still a bit sore but nothing I couldn't deal with. I just gotta deal with it...

Warm up sets:

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3

Work sets:

100kg x 5
    117.5kg x 5
    132.5kg x 9

Really happy with 9 reps. Rep PR at 1RM max of 170kg, being 7.5kg better than my next best. Had at least another rep in the tank but would've been a battle.

Assistance Work:

Kroc rows: A couple of warm ups then 30kg x 30 reps.... Grip was struggling due to deads and doing these in my last workout, but managed to push through. Then went to attempt pullups and couldn't get up more than a couple of inches, grip/upper back = fried haha. Then did some lying hamstring curls (new machine at gym, so wanted to give it a run). Had another crack at pull ups and got a few out, then did some curls.

Need to get some cardio/conditioning back in there now that I'm recovered, but couldn't be f'ed today...

Cycle 3 - Squat 3+ Day

Just finished squat day, went quite well, but I didn't post my press day from the other day so I'll quickly detail that first.

Cycle 3 - Press 5+ Day:

Top set was for 42.5kg. Got 9 reps, was ok but have hit 10 on the same weight previously... Trained earlier than I usually do as we went out for the day, so was a bit underfuelled and rushed but not bad still.

Wanted to get out of the gym so did some DB presses and calves quickly. I hit calves doing single leg bodyweight raises, can stand up straight or bend over like a donkey raise to hit the different areas. 3 sets each consisting of 15-20 on each side, really emphasizing the squeeze, then smashed out 10 or so quickly on both legs. Seemed to hit them really well so I would recommend this approach. A lot easier than trying to load up a **** load of weight on a machine also.

Today - Squat Day:

Warm up sets:

Bar
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3

Work sets:

85kg x 5 (stuffed this one)
    95kg x 3
    107.5kg x 6

Pretty stoked with this considering the poor efforts of late. Good form. Head still a bit ordinary but not really enough to hamper workout. Rep PR at 1RM max of 125kg. Might have a crack at some heavy singles on 5/3/1 day.

Assistance Work:

Smashed out BBB at 5 x 10 x 65kg. As per usual this was nice and tough. Smashed legs and back (as it was still pretty sore from deadlifts), but in a good way. Pumped the sets out.

Then did some Kroc Rows, 22 reps x 32.5kg. Hoped to get a few more reps but I was drained from squats.

Overall a good workout. Hopefully I'm able to get in the gym again tomorrow, work has been hectic so has been hard to get in there.... Need to do some cardio to as I basically haven't done any in a few weeks (and it shows....).

Damnit your squats are sh!tting on mine atm haha. I got 107.5 for 3+ aswell so thats some motivation for me.