EightPackets has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Feeling faint and light headed at the gym

I have been working out for 6 years. I'm 22, started when I was 16. I have been in Spain for the past four months but have worked out with out any problems in the heat.

The past three times I've been to the gym this has happened. The first time I was half way through my work out and I started feeling really on edge.. light headed and my heart beating fast... so I sat down for a few minutes then carried on. After about 4 reps of what I was doing everything went blurry and I felt like I was about to faint/collapse. So I just dropped the weight and left. Walking back to my apartment was really strange.. I literally had to try to stay concious and not collapse. When I got back I laid down trying to relax but I could still feel my heart beating like crazy. It also felt like the right side of my face was dropping, I have heard this is something that happens before a stroke? I might of just imagined it.

It happened again yesterday, but I managed to stop working out before it got as bad as the previous time. It also happened today, so I left the gym after 10 minutes.

I feel really light headed, like I have to concentrate on my head not dropping. It sounds weird I know! I am fine the rest of the time. It just starts when I start working out at the gym.

I would say I am in good shape and train 4-5 days a week and have done for the past few years with no problem.

My diet consists of a high carb and protein meal before work out and the same after working out. I drink plenty of water through out the day and during working out.

However, when I thought about it I haven't eaten anything with sugar in for a few weeks. I never eat chocolate or sweets etc. But I hadn't had fruit or anything that contains sugar. So I thought it might be because of a low blood sugar. Today, I ate 2 bananas covered in honey and a litre of orange juice.. to see if it made a difference. I don't feel that it did. How long would it take for this to have an affect on my blood sugar?

Another thing that might be causing it... Have you ever slept on your hand and it goes dead? So you move your fingers and shake your hand to get the blood flowing back into it? Well this happened to me but to my whole left arm. I woke up and my whole arm was dead... So I like swung my arm around to get it back but doing so I managed to bend my elbow back the wrong way.. I heard it snap and it still hurts now. This was about two weeks ago and I have been to the gym without a problem with the ache in my elbow before this started happening.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on my problem.

FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankFKA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's definitely not because of the sugar, your body converts carbs into glucose so that isnt a problem for you.

geertinho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) see a doctor

2) replace the high carb meal pre WO w a small protein/fat meal (and a piece of fruit)

jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I get that feeling when doing squats. Kinda scary.

RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RN2590 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by geertinho View Post
    1) see a doctor

2) try a meal with 65%carb, 25%protein, 10% fat pre workout, 55% protein, 35% carb, 10% fat post workout
    and 3) Any supplements? most notably prework-out supps with stimulants? Do you do any cardio?

This used to happen to me and I think it was a combination of bad diet, lack of cardio, use of pre workout supplements and who knows what else. I visited my doctor first, once cleared of everything I really started looking at what I was doing wrong with my diet etc.

SimplyJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SimplyJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SimplyJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My guess is that you're not drinking enough water. You may be dehydrated. Are you taking creatine? During the summer I try to drink two gallons of water living in Arizona. I'd still consult a doctor. Also, check your breathing. Make sure you're breathing properly during your reps. Yoga is a great way to improve breathing and open up your lungs. The heavy you're lifting the more strain on your muscles. If you're breathing isn't proper, it's going to take an effect on your body. Get cleared by a doctor.