Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000)

Casein Pudding opinion thread

Hey all,

I thought I'd give my opinion on the various Casein proteins I've used in making Casein Pudding.

For those who don't know, you can easily make pudding out of Casein protein by mixing at a ratio of 1 scoop protein : 1.25-1.5 scoop water. This is particularly useful on a cut, as it acts like a dessert with high protein and low carb/fat. It is also a simple way to do more with protein powder than a straight shake.

It only works with Micellar Casein though. Most who read this will either not know what Casein is, doubt the value of casein, or be a believer of casein, but that's not the point. Basically, this is a nice way of getting a dessert in while using only protein powder and again, it won't work with Whey (or even blends).

Since I've started to make this as a regular treat, I've tried various brands and various flavours, so thought I'd share my experiences with you all. No out of 10s (too subjective to put such a definite number), just a subjective opinion.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein

Vanilla:
    After finding out about Casein pudding, I had this on hand, so this was the first powder I tried to make pudding with. I mixed 2 scoops of protein with 2.5 scoops of water, and found this to be the best balance for me. I loved it. It doesn't taste perfect, I can certainly tell that it isn't a perfect vanilla taste, but it tastes great, and when it was the only sweet I was having, I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Add in a tablespoon of fresh whipping cream before shaking it up, and it gets even better. If your macros allow this extra fat, it makes it even better. Eat it with a spoon of peanut butter and "OH MY GOSH!"

WILL buy again.

Chocolate Supreme:
    This one mixes quite a bit thicker than the Vanilla flavour. I didn't much like it at all with just water, and would always find myself going back to Vanilla for making puddings with. Just seemed like it was missing something. Then I added in a tablespoon of fresh whipping cream. It went from "gotta use up the rest of this damn tub" to "best flavour ever!" Tasted exactly like a tub of chocolate pudding that you'd get in your lunch as a kid. I love it!

WILL buy again.

Chocolate Peanut Butter:
    Same as CS, I didn't really like it with just water. It would be reserved for when I'd blend with other proteins, or in shakes, but I didn't like it as a pudding. I haven't been able to try it with cream.

MIGHT buy again.

Banana:
    I haven't yet tried this with just water, but I have a feeling it would be pretty good. I heard very mixed reviews about this one before buying. Compared to some of the more natural tasting banana flavoured proteins, this one seems very artificial, but compared to banana milk (or even banana flavoured Nesquick) it is pretty good. Mixed with cream the flavour is a bit bland, not so sweet. Not the best, but if you want to try it, I'm not going to say you'll hate it. I'll give it more of a chance to grow on me, just as some of the other flavours that I didn't enjoy at first have.

MIGHT buy again.

Raspberry:
    *bleh*
    I LOVE Strawberry milk, and I remember loving Strawberry flavoured Vital Strength protein. But in recent years all the berry flavoured proteins I've had have just tasted wrong! It seems that while banana is a fruit that lends itself well to diary, berries are not. I don't recommend this one. I'm just glad I only bought a small tub.

Unless my taste buds change all of a sudden, WON'T buy again.

Cookies & Cream:
    The first time I tried this one I was not a fan. I liked the smell, but when tasting it I couldn't help but think "why bother when you can get Chocolate Supreme or Vanilla?" Just like CS this one really needs a higher amount of liquid per scoop (Vanilla, on the other hand, seems to work well with less or more) otherwise the texture is just weird. But it grew on me. I like it, and I'll be ordering more. It is nice for a change.

WILL buy again.

BodyBuilding.com 100% Casein

Vanilla:
    Sweeter than ON's Vanilla, but at 150calories per serving (vs ON's 110) and for less protein per serve, it damn well better be sweeter. Not as nice though. It isn't horrible, but for the long wait in ordering this one (I'm in Australia), I won't be ordering again. Transit took too long, and the BB.com brand seems to have quite a poor profile. Too poor considering the average taste.

WON'T buy again.

Chocolate:
    Won't be ordering again. The texture is strange, and the flavour is very weird. ON's Chocolate Supreme is my choice so far for Chocolate. Glad I ordered the smaller tubs.

WON'T buy again.

Bulk Nutrients Micellar Casein

Vanilla:
    When I first ordered this one, the bag had split open a bit in transit. I called the company and they promptly sent out a replacement and a bag to send the remains of the old one in (GREAT service from this Aussie company). The smell was great. Perfectly vanilla. But when I finally tasted it, it was waaay too subdued. I tend to have 2 scoops with my puddings though, so I began to mix 1 scoop of this with 1 scoop of ON Vanilla. For some reason, cream gets a greater texture in this one than in the other brands caseins, so mixing it with ON gave me the best of both worlds, and did improve the flavour of both. I'd possibly order again, but only if I had enough ON Vanilla on hand.
    Due to the subtle flavouring though, this one is probably the better one to use as a custard replacement. Since I'm doing Lean Gains, along with macro cycling (low fat, high carb on training days), I would mix two scoops of this with 2.5 scoops of water (or less, this brand seems to get a bit watery quicker), and pour it over a Weight Watchers (or equivalent) steamed pudding and have a great dessert on a low fat day.

The profile on this one is better than ON. Higher protein %.

WON'T buy again (with exception...).

No Bull Supplements Calcium Caseinate

Banana:
    Bulk Nutrients and NBS are both local Australian brands. So I ordered this one based on price without realising that Calcium Caseinate is not suitable for making pudding. This one is VERY chalky. Does not work at all. I used it all up in protein pancake recipes.

WON'T buy again.

Hopefully this next week an order for Syntrax caseins will come in. Heard great things, so I'll update when they arrive.

If anyone has tried other flavours or brands to make this great dessert (or even ones I've already mentioned), then feel free to add your thoughts.

Morien
    Goals are invaluable. Pick one, and reach it. Let nothing stop you, especially not yourself. Don't change goals flippantly. Motivation will come from progress, which can only be seen when measured against a goal. If you change your goals before ever achieving them then you will lose all motivation, all reason for doing, and you will fail. Completely, and utterly: success, or failure, is up to you, and what you are willing to give.

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It does also work with Whey or Blends though.. I do it all the time. Just adjust the liquids - slowly add and stir until your reach desired consistency.

Never have shakes anymore, because this is much more satisfying/tasty to me.

Dymatize Elite Casein works and tastes very good, especially the Cookies and Cream and Cinnamon Bun flavors.

Trutein is also amazing, and my favorite for this. All flavors are excellent.

Giant Sports Delicious Protein is also very good as sludge/pudding
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
    Online Trainer/Coach - PM for Details/Inquiries

Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000) Morien is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BigBoLuke93 View Post
    It does also work with Whey or Blends though.. I do it all the time. Just adjust the liquids - slowly add and stir until your reach desired consistency.
    Oh, is that so? That's good to know. I've always just added the protein, added the liquids, then shaken until it doesn't shake any more.

I'll try Dymatize one day, and I'd like to know a source for Trutein in Australia if anyone out there can chime in.

Thanks for the addition.
    Goals are invaluable. Pick one, and reach it. Let nothing stop you, especially not yourself. Don't change goals flippantly. Motivation will come from progress, which can only be seen when measured against a goal. If you change your goals before ever achieving them then you will lose all motivation, all reason for doing, and you will fail. Completely, and utterly: success, or failure, is up to you, and what you are willing to give.

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    Oh, is that so? That's good to know. I've always just added the protein, added the liquids, then shaken until it doesn't shake any more.

I'll try Dymatize one day, and I'd like to know a source for Trutein in Australia if anyone out there can chime in.

Thanks for the addition.
    Easiest way to do it in my opinion, is to just put the powder in a bowl, and then slowly add liquid while stirring with a spoon. Just the Wheys or thinner Blend proteins typically take less liquid to make 'pudding' than a straight Casein.

Here's what it usually looks like. This is the Dymatize Elite Casein Cinnamon Bun

As for Trutein, I'm pretty sure there is a supplier in Australia for it. You can check the company website and look under the tab "Retailers"
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
    Online Trainer/Coach - PM for Details/Inquiries

Some updates.

Syntrax Micellar Creme

Chocolate:
    I'd heard great things about this one, that's why I bought. The nutritional profile is fantastic (0g of fat) for those low fat days. But... I dunno... The taste isn't bad, but... I just like the ON Chocolate Supreme so much more (but only with cream). It's good, but a little weak, I think. I'm not disappointed, but the build up from things I'd heard made me expect more. I'd order again, but just because of the nutritional profile.

MIGHT order again.

Vanilla:
    Likewise with chocolate, I'd heard great things. Tasted like vanilla... As described. I'd put it on par with ON Vanilla TBH. ON comes in larger sizes though (4lb or 2lb, Syntrax only seems to be 2lb), but this one has a better nutritional profile fat and carb wise.

WILL order again.

Strawberry:
    This is what I have been waiting for! Tastes just like Strawberry milk. This one is great. Tastes just like I hoped (and nothing like what I feared).

WILL order again.

BigBoLuke93: Also got a tub of Chocolate Covered Banana flavoured Trutein. Haven't yet tried to make pudding out of it, but wow, it's good!

plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10) plAythiNG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for sharing...

I never liked chugging ON CS Casein several years ago. Getting back into it and keen to try out the pudding method!