Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Boxing, and how far you want to go..

Alright It's late and I just got home so I am going to attempt to put this thread up for those that are interested in boxing, and possibly competing in the great sport..I will try to make it breif but descriptive enough for a beginner, so if I leave some out someone else who has a few years boxing feel free to add on to it..I will include links in the end. I can only go over so much since you will need a trainer in person, and that trainer depending on his experience and style will teach you how to do stuff his way, and I mean that to the fullest, I have never in my career seen or heard two different trainers give the same kind of advice to a fighter, and a lot depends on how your style looks to them so like I said I can only say so much.

Competing in USA Boxing:

Find the registration chair for your LBC. USA Boxing is composed of LBCs (Local Boxing Committee) they are responsible for the registration of all people in their jurisdiction. For example, if you live in Washington DC, you would register in the Potomac Valley Association LBC.

To register you'll need 2 passport photos and a copy of your birth certificate, and if under 18, you need a parent signature. It costs 40 dollars a year and you're registered for the whole year that way. You'll be given a USA Boxing passbook which will over time reflect the record of the fights you've had. From there, you just need to get in a gym and get to work (typically, you would get your passbook after being in the gym a while, though). Also, as a note, you don't need to be with a gym to get registered. When the registration chair asks what club you're with, just say you're unattached.
    On other notes Golden Gloves is NOT a separate sanctioning body. It is a franchise that is a member group of USA Boxing, along with the National PAL. Golden Gloves is a major ranking tournament that, like the USAs, begins at the LBC level, progresses to the regional (or in the case of Golden Gloves, franchise) level; and if you win that are on to the National Championships.

I rarely see boxing on the forums but the posts I do see are asking questions far more advanced than they really are in skill.. The first thing you need to learn is footwork..I do not care if you know how to throw a good punch, or a combo of punches, if you don't have good footwork you don't have squat..Guys training need to get in a gym with a good trainer, unless you have a trainer you are doing nothing except picking up bad habits that will get you hurt. Boxing cannot be taught over the internet, no matter how many videos you watch, and how many articles you read, YOU HAVE TO BE TRAINED FOR MORE ADVANCED TECHNIQUES SUCH AS COUNTERING ETC..

Footwork- How to define a boxer with good footwork to me is being able to move in any direction while keeping your balance and foot position to land proper punches, hitting a guy when he isn't capable of hitting you because of good angling and movement.
    Step slide step slide..Always step and then slide..Always step with your front foot then slide the back..If you are stepping right then step with your right foot and slide with your left..If you step to the left then start with the left foot and slide the right..Make sure you always have a good balanced stance, depending on your size/height it varies, but a good stance should be no more than feet being 16 inches apart..Shoulder-width is the ideal stance..When working on footwork never ever step/slide straight back, this makes you a easy target while getting out of the fighters reach..Do not put all of your weight on your front foot, many people do this but dont know it, most of your weight should be to the back foot, always stay on your toes when using footwork, but if your infighting, then you need a solid stance to throw your combos, but you will learn that as you advance.

Drills to improve footwork- From what your trainer teaches you in person from square one, do 3-4 rounds of just footwork while shadowboxing, tie a rope around both feet to keep legs evenly spaced and if your front foot goes forward your back foot follows ect..This is based off your good stance so make sure your trainer sets you up in a good comfortable stance wether your southpaw or Orthodox. Watch great fighters with good footwork who can slip punches such as tyson..Footwork and boxing is about balance 100% so you can never overstate how important it is..One drill I really like is this, I set up a few cones on a 45yd long floor in the gym, I step nd slide forward, once I get to one of the cones I shadowbox using my footwork on the angles of the cone then working my way around it, I do this all the way until the last cone then do it backwards to where you started from, make sure to work angles though cas most beginners lose ballance and cross their legs up when trying to angle and throw a punch..

Conditioning/weightlifting- If your are serious about boxing and want to compete then your have to be conditioned. If you cannot go 3 minutes for 10-12 rounds then your out of shape..This is saying a lot for a newbie but it will come as your work harder..Running, roadwork as we call it is the best way to increase stamina, and get your cardio for boxing, run until your feet bleed as my trainer says because its only going to make you outlast the other guy..As far as weights, I rarely use them, boxing isn't about whos stronger, I have seen 170LB fighters put a big ripped bodybuilder type guy on the canvas sparring simply because the 170LB guy knew how to box, so depending on your trainer you may end up using the weights anyways..My guy is old school so I rarely use them..Pushups, burpees, squats, plyo, pullups, tons of core work, abdominal exercises to the sky..If your going to use weights I would suggest squatting, and deadlifts, calve raises with weights, and nobody boxing gets away without at least a couple hours of jumping rope..These exercises are key to the sport. It is 100% a myth that if you lift weights and box you will lose speed etc..Saying that I can say one thing, if you are going to box and plan on getting bulky you will however lose sumwhat of your mobility, stepping outside to counter etc..

Basic punching- Jabs, your jab should be clean, the jab is going to be key in a boxing match..A good jab to me is clean when it is thrown straight, and SNAPPED. When you throw a jab snap it, as fast as you throw a punch whether jab or hook it should be brought back to gaurd just as fast if not faster..Just think of snaps..When working on jabs, throw left jabs, rights jabs, Practice throwing it from different angles too. Not just a usual-stance jab. Practice stepping inside and throwing it, practice ducking under a jab and throwing it, practice throwing it upwards to split the guard with a sideways fist (Pacquiao uses this) practice stepping back and throwing it, versatility is key. If you always throw the same sort of jab it's easy enough to figure out. Pat away his jab with your lead hand and throw one back. Feint a right jab and throw a left..Never be repetitive. I am not going to state other punches since your trainer may have a different way of showing you too punch to his standards, but punches need to come from your feet up through your hips, kind of like when you squash a bug with your shoe, but put your hips into the whole motion at once along with your punch..Just always keep your wrists locked with the top of your hand in line with your forearm or you may end up with a bad sprain or broken wrist easily.

Equipment- Gloves, I always use 16oz on the heavybag no matter what..It is great for conditioning you to keep your hands up, and also great for increasing speed and punching power when you use a lighter glove in the ring..Always and I mean always wrap your wrists up even if your shadowboxing, wrap your wrists just to keep it a habit.

Heavybag- The heavybag is the best bag to work on power, technique, conditioning, this is the prime bag for learning punching.

Double End Bag- This bag is more for reflexes, speed, head movement, accuracy and foot placement. Another note on the DEB is people tend to develope a lazy habit with this bag by letting the elasticity bounce off your fist. I see this all the time at the gym I am at and it annoys me..

Speedbag- Everybody thinks the speedbag is the best bag yadayadayada...Honestly the speedbag is probably the most useless bag in the gym..The only time ours gets used is if a hot chick walks in the gym and someone gets on it and dust flies off it where nobody uses it..

Headgear- As far as headgear, you will have to use it no matter what in your gym, unless your a pro fighter in a bout..Headgear is a must when sparring just the same as wristwraps are a must when your training..

Shoes- If your working out or just sparring, wrestling shoes will do fine for boxing..If you plan to compete then always wear your boxing boots since they allow you to slide with footwork, you dont want a shoe or boot that grips too tight when training because you have to be able to slide that foot when doing what your doing..I suggest just getting a good boxing boot and use them all the time, I use the pony customs but they are a little pricey but I couldn't ask for a better style. Thats enuff on equipment as your gym will associate you with everything else.

Padwork and Hitting the Mitts- Padwork is a must if boxing, your trainer will be the one who mixes it up in the order of punches etc..As far as padwork though, if hit right the pad and glove once hit should make a loud smack sound..If working pads with a friend don't have him holding the pads up in the air and out to the sides etc, the pads should be held somewhat close together around his chest area, and he should also be throwing hooks for you to duck and you coming up to land a right or left on the pad etc..Have him hit you in the body so you can learn to guard it with your elbow while doing your drills etc..Your trainer will cover this his way.

Nutrition- Since this is bodybuilding.com I shouldn't have to talk to you about this, this site is a jungle full of professional nutrition advice..

I tried to keep this as basic as possible I know I left some stuff out but this gives you an idea about what you need to start with first.I am going to add links, below for you to work on your skillls and as I said anybody who has a few years boxing experience please feel free to add more stuff in this, and if anyone has questions just ask since I kind of rushed through this I am sorry but I hope yall like this enuff to benefit from it and maybe join the sport..Here are links to free instructional videos and drills..You have to type the since I am not eligible to post links..Im tired and going to bed, as I said I am sure some stuff is left out but this should get you started, I can post a workout plan for those interested in boxing, just PM me..

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Also Don't forget to keep enough head movement when doing your footwork, head movement should be involved in every aspect of training involving footwork, jab, slip, slide etc..
    And one more thing before I go to bed is SHADOWBOXING..This is very very very very very underestimated by a lot of people, but shadowboxing is one of the greatest drills you can use while being able to see yourself mess up in a mirror, I usually do 3-4 rounds of shadowing after my footwork drills..

Heres a few vi links I will post more sumtime 2m

Chris Gets Ultimate Boxing dub u dub u dub u dot 56.com/w42/album-aid-3237584.html

Freddy Roach Boxing Fundamentals there are 4 or 5 videos to this you can find the rest from the first video here dub u dub u dub u dot youtube.com/watch?v=FfDEa3t9WoU

Rival Training vids Theres a few videos from them that can be found after watching this one about the jab dub u dub u dub u dot youtube.com/watch?v=VH0rO2RFBPw

Here is a video on defensive boxing techniques dub u dub u dub u dot youtube.com/watch?v=LqDyxGoljp0

Counter-punching dub u dub u dub u dot youtube.com/watch?v=ZUS-LEdP3MM&feature=fvwrel

Ross training also has a good video section for boxing

Also any video by Freddy Roach who is the trainer of Manny Pacquiao, Freddy Roach used to box too and was trained by the same trainer who trained Joe Frazier if I am not mistaken..Only bad thing about Roach is he doesn't teach his fighters how to infight, more advanced but that is his con imo..

Heres a decent vid on pivoting dub u dub u dub u dot youtube.com/watch?v=0i72CiJhrJs
    Last edited by Tex236; 08-25-2012 at 01:10 AM.

flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000) flyp313 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i know this thread is old but why not speed bag training is it really not worth it

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by flyp313 View Post
    i know this thread is old but why not speed bag training is it really not worth it
    It doesn't do anything appreciable for you, it just looks cool.

It doesn't effectively enhance strength, endurance, or speed. It doesn't mimic proper punching form at all. I've had many coaches/trainers in my life (including one olympic coach), and not a single one ever suggested speedbag work.

AlphaHumanus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good read, thanks for this.

Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woplock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started seeing a trainer about 8 months ago and it's night and day what I've learned about boxing. I try and spar twice a week now and I read some good things in this thread. I will continue rereading them and checking out the videos when I have a moment. Also, cannot emphasize cardio and practicing with heavier gloves enough. Makes a world of a differnce. Cheers
    ill be the next ronnie on jersey shore next season mark my word.

Originally Posted by flyp313 View Post
    Im not saying its not a good training method, The bag does very little yes, but it does help hand eye coordination very well and muscle conditioning of the shoulders in which most coaches want to see a little work on it..I have been forutnate enough to spar with many boxers throughout the years one being Deontay Wilder, I beleive he won silver or bronze in the 08 olympics have to check, and we had the debate on the bag, its oil and water in gyms but his coach for the olympics had him do ridiculous sets of speedbag drills..The best punches to work on with a speed bag are your hooks, you will have a good hook when you can pop the bag without it hitting the top and going crazy, freddy roach is a master at this drill

Originally Posted by Woplock View Post
    I started seeing a trainer about 8 months ago and it's night and day what I've learned about boxing. I try and spar twice a week now and I read some good things in this thread. I will continue rereading them and checking out the videos when I have a moment. Also, cannot emphasize cardio and practicing with heavier gloves enough. Makes a world of a differnce. Cheers
    Thank you kind sir, and no doubt about it cardio and practicing your technique is the key to being a good all around fighter, jus remember never be predictable

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with most things you say but learning boxing through the internet and articles is possible especially for the basics. I would not recommend it or advise it but having done this myself it is possible. I was very critical of myself and by the time I started mma I had above average boxing according to a former professional boxer and when training with my friend and his trainer who exclusively boxes and does not do mma said I have good boxing.

Not saying I did not learn anything and in fact have learned tremendous amounts since having a trainer but to say it can not be done is false.

Originally Posted by mcmoon View Post
    I agree with most things you say but learning boxing through the internet and articles is possible especially for the basics. I would not recommend it or advise it but having done this myself it is possible. I was very critical of myself and by the time I started mma I had above average boxing according to a former professional boxer and when training with my friend and his trainer who exclusively boxes and does not do mma said I have good boxing.

Not saying I did not learn anything and in fact have learned tremendous amounts since having a trainer but to say it can not be done is false.
    Are you intentionally trying to bring down my posts?? GTFOH, You can teach yourself how to box, but you can't teach yourself how to be a boxer, same as saying i love that girl but im not in love with her. The smart asses usually are the ones who insist on sparring right away. I am all to happy to oblige them. I especially like the MMA and UFC fighters. They never do well. The college football players are a hoot to watch too. Sure I have seen guys who claim they can box, got it offline etc, they come in while I am sparring, and they are the first to wanna get in the ring not even thinking how long I have been doing it, and it's just a fun sport for me I don't take it to the max being serious and competitive but I do compete..And when they get in the ring with their so called internet learning they find out that after being hit a few times they can't do much, they look like they are trying to kill a fly with a baseball bat..Have you ever heard the saying everyone has a plan till they get hit?? Thats a Tyson saying and as retarded as he seems he is right..Now since you had above average boxing then maybe you can school me or just upload a video and I will critique it for you, bet you won't want that cas I will be anal as hell about it and tear your self learning boxing mentality apart..Now quit following me around trying to criticize my knowledge about the sport, your like a freshman trying to teach a senior stfu and go on..

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tex236 View Post
    Are you intentionally trying to bring down my posts?? GTFOH, You can teach yourself how to box, but you can't teach yourself how to be a boxer, same as saying i love that girl but im not in love with her. The smart asses usually are the ones who insist on sparring right away. I am all to happy to oblige them. I especially like the MMA and UFC fighters. They never do well. The college football players are a hoot to watch too. Sure I have seen guys who claim they can box, got it offline etc, they come in while I am sparring, and they are the first to wanna get in the ring not even thinking how long I have been doing it, and it's just a fun sport for me I don't take it to the max being serious and competitive but I do compete..And when they get in the ring with their so called internet learning they find out that after being hit a few times they can't do much, they look like they are trying to kill a fly with a baseball bat..Have you ever heard the saying everyone has a plan till they get hit?? Thats a Tyson saying and as retarded as he seems he is right..Now since you had above average boxing then maybe you can school me or just upload a video and I will critique it for you, bet you won't want that cas I will be anal as hell about it and tear your self learning boxing mentality apart..Now quit following me around trying to criticize my knowledge about the sport, your like a freshman trying to teach a senior stfu and go on..
    First of all calm down. I never said or claimed to be a great boxer. I was just repeating what people have told me and the one that said I had above average boxing was probably using it in a MMA context not pure boxing but idk. I am also not under any impression that I would school you especially if it is just boxing and if thats all you train them I am sure you would beat me. I am also not one of the guys to just jump into sparring like to basically acuse me of. The little section I have highlighted I agree with also and was simply stating you could learn some of the basics and fundamentals but by no means would you become a good boxer by doing that.

Sorry if I offended you but except for that one small detail I agree with your whole post. Also about trying to bring down your posts is I guess referring to the other thread which I will reply to in in that thread but I did not even pay attention that it was the same person.

p.s. I do not believe that just because I do mma it makes me a boxer and don't believe that many fighters in mma would do well in boxing and vice versa.