StanTheCaddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What to do for this shoulder pain?

I've been lifting for a little over 2 months and work out about 5 days a week. A couple days ago i worked out like normal and felt fine. A few hours went by and I began to feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. I can't raise my arm over my head without pain and putting a t-shirt on is a process in itself without yelling. When i leave my rm by my side there is no pain, only when i try to raise my arm or move it around. Is this just inflammation or maybe tendonitis? Any tips on a quick recovery because i cant stand not working out right now. thanks.

thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thomasmagnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StanTheCaddy View Post
    I've been lifting for a little over 2 months and work out about 5 days a week. A couple days ago i worked out like normal and felt fine. A few hours went by and I began to feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. I can't raise my arm over my head without pain and putting a t-shirt on is a process in itself without yelling. When i leave my rm by my side there is no pain, only when i try to raise my arm or move it around. Is this just inflammation or maybe tendonitis? Any tips on a quick recovery because i cant stand not working out right now. thanks.
    I have had the exact same experience. The inflammation occurred over a day or two, and I couldn't move my shoulder for sh*t. Washing my hair, putting on a shirt was crazy-painful.
    The bad news is it's been over 7 weeks, and I am just now able to do light benching again. There is still some discomfort, and I can't do overhead presses.
    If you have insurance, go see a sports therapist. But here's what they told me...
    Rest it completely for 5-7 days. Ice, ibuprofen every night. They also gave me some steroids to reduce the inflammation. Once the inflammation is manageable, and your ROM comes back without sharp pain, start focusing on legs and abs. This way you're still at the gym, but you are not re-aggravating your injury, or making it worse.
    Whatever you do, don't push through the pain. You could end up doing serious long term damage, then you wouldn't be at the gym for a long-ass time.
    Good luck.

StanTheCaddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thomasmagnum View Post
    I have had the exact same experience. The inflammation occurred over a day or two, and I couldn't move my shoulder for sh*t. Washing my hair, putting on a shirt was crazy-painful.
    The bad news is it's been over 7 weeks, and I am just now able to do light benching again. There is still some discomfort, and I can't do overhead presses.
    If you have insurance, go see a sports therapist. But here's what they told me...
    Rest it completely for 5-7 days. Ice, ibuprofen every night. They also gave me some steroids to reduce the inflammation. Once the inflammation is manageable, and your ROM comes back without sharp pain, start focusing on legs and abs. This way you're still at the gym, but you are not re-aggravating your injury, or making it worse.
    Whatever you do, don't push through the pain. You could end up doing serious long term damage, then you wouldn't be at the gym for a long-ass time.
    Good luck.
    Good feedback, thanks. I was worried it would be over a month of recovery but I guess I have no choice. I'll take it day by day. Did you lose any muscle during the long rest period? It sucks I was just making good gains and now I have to stop.

big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by thomasmagnum View Post
    Good luck.
    Same thing happened to me 5 months ago.. Best advice!
    If you want to be making moves on the street, have no attachements.. allow nothing to be in your life that you cannot walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat arond the corner."

svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by StanTheCaddy View Post
    Good feedback, thanks. I was worried it would be over a month of recovery but I guess I have no choice. I'll take it day by day. Did you lose any muscle during the long rest period? It sucks I was just making good gains and now I have to stop.
    I 100% know how you feel mate, I was making great progress too and it didn't even hit me while working out ! (hit me on the weekend)
    But it is what it is ey, can only rest and prevent it from getting worse.

I cannot tell you what to do, but there is one thing that I personally do when I have injury, I ask myself :
    1. What exactly caused the injury ? (in my case it was impingement, due to weak scapular stabilizers and lack of sufficient recovery for 2 weeks)
    2. What can be done to prevent it from happening in the future ? (in my case it's monitoring doms)
    3. What should be done in the next few weeks ? (usually rest, then restarting exercise from zero weight/reps and gradually increasing while monitoring doms)

Well that's what I do, I hate random stuff like that, and If I can't train I might as well educate myself.