down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Back Pain when sitting on the floor

Hi, I want to pick your brains as to why I experience lower back pain when I sit on the floor with legs folded. I don't normally get lower back pain. I train my back with regular exercise deadlift, rows, whatever and that never hurts. I can sit on chair just fine but as soon as I sit flat on the floor, not even 5 minutes, I'd feel pain in my lower back. If I stand up, there would be residue pain but will go away after awhile. I do have more than just mild scoliosis. I'm not incredibly flexible but I do stretch and can touch my toes and all that.

So yea, maybe some smarter trainers can help me what to do.

popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like a lack of hip external rotation/piriformis issues. Can you comfortably do this stretch (http://www.drbackman.com/mpso22.jpg) and do you ever get sciatica type pain?

That's probably all the advice someone can give you over the net, mobilitywod.com has some useful stuff if you dig back through the archives, but anything more complex or if the above doesn't resolve things you should see a physical therapist.

down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) down2ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
    Sounds like a lack of hip external rotation/piriformis issues. Can you comfortably do this stretch (http://www.drbackman.com/mpso22.jpg) and do you ever get sciatica type pain?

That's probably all the advice someone can give you over the net, mobilitywod.com has some useful stuff if you dig back through the archives, but anything more complex or if the above doesn't resolve things you should see a physical therapist.
    I can't see the link. Are you referring to the leg cross stretch? if so yes

cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would also encourage you to take a look at your hip flexors. Tight hip flexors pull the pelvis down in front and up in the back. This will put pressure on the sciatic nerve and also cause your Quadratus Lumborum to shorten so that it can continue to do its job (hiking your leg). That QL is responsible for a lot of LBP. And, generally speaking, if you're working a desk job all day, your hip flexors will be tight.

I recently sustained a QL injury doing one-legged bridges (no deadlifts, no squats, no weight!). Incidentally, I had moved away from doing active hip flexor stretches as part of my warm-up. Weeks after this injury, I eased myself back into lifting and built back up to my usual deadlift and squat and felt no pain during the workout but experienced a mild sciatica while driving home (sitting down with pressure on my lumbar spine) later that weekend.

I think some SMR on the TFL and piriformis might be useful (if they do not induce that sciatica-type pain). Also consider hip swings, holding bodyweight lunges, etc. And you can help stretch out that QL with some overhead doorway stretches... lengthen it out.

A visit to the chiro really helped me. Also scheduled a hot stone and deep tissue massage for myself.

Outside of that, check your local YMCA... they might offer a free injury assessment. Don't be afraid to see a therapist. The back is serious, so be careful.
    NASM-CPT