blang008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long to stay on beginner workout?

I'm currently doing a full body beginner workout 3 days a week. I've been doing it while cutting for the past 4 weeks. The scale has stayed around the same. I've dropped calories by 100 to see how that goes for a couple of weeks. How long do you stay on a beginner workout before going to intermediate? Right now I'm doing workout below:

Incline Leg Press - 3 sets of 12
    Leg Extension - 3 sets of 12
    Weighted Calf Raise - 2 sets of 15
    Barbell bench - 2 sets of 10
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 2 sets of 12
    Seated cable row - 2 sets of 12
    Lat pulldown - 2 sets of 12
    Barbell curl - 2 sets of 12
    Cable triceps pull-down - 3 sets of 8
    Weighted ab crunch - 2 sets 20

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by blang008 View Post
    I'm currently doing a full body beginner workout 3 days a week. I've been doing it while cutting for the past 4 weeks. The scale has stayed around the same. I've dropped calories by 100 to see how that goes for a couple of weeks. How long do you stay on a beginner workout before going to intermediate? Right now I'm doing workout below:

do you increase the weights on the bigger lifts every workout or every week? if so, keep going. if you stall on a lift, reset down 10% and work back up and through it. if you stall repeatedly at the same weight...may be time.
    Stern Crew

dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmaggio is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Where did you get this workout from ? Did you make it or is it from a plan ?

If its from a plan follow the plan, if you made it (which I really hope you did because if this was professionally created ick) then I suggest you go with a professional program (you can find them on the internet or buy a book ie Chad Waterbury has alot)

Weight loss is going to be from diet NOT workout plan. So if youre not losing weight, thats because of a failure in the kitchen.

That said I really dont like the program at all, it has way more exercises than a total body program should (im counting 9 + abs), plus a bunch of meh exercises. Total Body workouts should be built around compound exercises, and most of your exercises arent.

IMO find something built around squats (even single leg squats are fine if you cant do/afraid of real ones), benching, dead-lifts, military press etc.

Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50)

100 calories drops? What is that >5% of your calories? You haven't dropped weight in a month so try at least a 500-750 calorie per day drop and/or up your cardio (equivalent) 500-750 calories per day. 100 calories is a ridiculously small number as fat is 3500 calories a pound so that's a total of 1/5th of a pound per week of change. That's too small a number to reliably spot on the scale but 500 calories is a pound and 750 is 1.5 pounds per week of fat. Those numbers you can catch and start predicting losses in a week or two. If you're a beginner at lifting then body recomposition is more likely. Fat loss and muscle gain at the same time so your calories might not need to be changed. The way to know is with $2 or better body fat skin-fold calipers, a $2 myo-tape and an accurate scale. <-- Ebay and those prices include shipping.

Record all your measurements, your 7 point BF skin-fold measurements and your weight. Enter them all in your bb.com profile. Now you'll know your exact Body-fat and muscle gains and losses every time you measure yourself.

Are you just beginning on weight training? I don't get the beginning / intermediate workout logic?

2 sets? Where are the warm up sets?

3 sets minimum as set 1 is much lighter weight. I'll do 4-5 sets as only the last 2-3 sets are maximal weight.

Take it easy of this is only your first month in the gym as you'll be sore looking at an empty bar but normally (unless your older) you'll hammer out the last sets to complete and total failure. Personally I think 8-10 reps on most body parts will build muscle quicker. If you can do 12 reps easily then your weight is too light and reps 9-12 should be so hard that rep 12 was absolutely the last rep you could do. Soreness should not only be expected but desired so you know you ripped those fibers so they rebuild and muscle hypertrophy occurs. Recovery and time to repair those muscles might take a full 5-7 days. I don't hit that same muscle until it's fully recovered and soreness is gone for 1-2 days.

Recovery is the key to growth so don't overtrain on the weights. Kill them during the workout but give them the 5-7 days to recover. If you work the same muscle when it's still sore you'll slowly overtrain and have crappy or no gains.

Cardio you can do 3-6 days per week as you're hitting slow twitch type 2 fibers. On cardio you just slowly increase your duration.

Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Technologist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    blang008,

I read one of your other posts and looked at your pic.

Don't bulk now. Drop about 10-15 pounds of fat first then try a slow bulk (add muscle with as little fat gain as possible) You don't need to double your fat cells now by adding to the fat layer. Cut it down some first. You'll have tighter skin, look better and have more definition. While you're cutting you'll probably actually hold or even add some muscle. When your at your idea fat level you can just slowly add muscle or slow bulk.

olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One rule for a lot of beginner programs is 1.5x bodyweight bench press x 1 rep and 2x bodyweight squat x 1 rep; so as you can imagine you can be on the program for well over a year before you achieve those weights. Another rule is linear progression; once you stop progressing its time to move on.

Is this not a routine I need to be doing while on a cut? If not, can you recommend somewhere for me to look. I'm having fun going to the gym and hurting myself! This program was found online. I'm increasing weight every week. My TDEE was around 2700. I dropped to 2200 and scale was staying around the same, so I dropped another 100 to 2100,which is currently where I am now. Keep dropping?

Originally Posted by Technologist View Post
    blang008,

I read one of your other posts and looked at your pic.

Don't bulk now. Drop about 10-15 pounds of fat first then try a slow bulk (add muscle with as little fat gain as possible) You don't need to double your fat cells now by adding to the fat layer. Cut it down some first. You'll have tighter skin, look better and have more definition. While you're cutting you'll probably actually hold or even add some muscle. When your at your idea fat level you can just slowly add muscle or slow bulk.

wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you've been consistent with your diet then it sounds like your true TDEE is closer to 2200. readjust for a few weeks and go from there. also, start doing squats.

I increase weight on each exercise. I've been increasing every week. Except for my bench. I'm doing 2 sets of 10 with 135. I've maxed out a few times just by adding weight to the bar after I had done the 2 sets of 10 with 135.

Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    do you increase the weights on the bigger lifts every workout or every week? if so, keep going. if you stall on a lift, reset down 10% and work back up and through it. if you stall repeatedly at the same weight...may be time.

I have been. Been counting everything that goes in my mouth. Hard to believe my TDEE might be around 2200 with working out 3 days a week. I do have a desk job though.

Originally Posted by wdmvp View Post
    if you've been consistent with your diet then it sounds like your true TDEE is closer to 2200. readjust for a few weeks and go from there. also, start doing squats.

Originally I dropped 500 calories from my TDEE. I've been dropping 100 calories every 3-4 weeks now, because I haven't seen the scale go down, tape get smaller on the waist, or body fat change. I am new to weight training. Did p90x before this. I haven't been doing cardio, which is something I might need to start doing, instead of just dropping calories

Originally Posted by Technologist View Post
    100 calories drops? What is that >5% of your calories? You haven't dropped weight in a month so try at least a 500-750 calorie per day drop and/or up your cardio (equivalent) 500-750 calories per day. 100 calories is a ridiculously small number as fat is 3500 calories a pound so that's a total of 1/5th of a pound per week of change. That's too small a number to reliably spot on the scale but 500 calories is a pound and 750 is 1.5 pounds per week of fat. Those numbers you can catch and start predicting losses in a week or two. If you're a beginner at lifting then body recomposition is more likely. Fat loss and muscle gain at the same time so your calories might not need to be changed. The way to know is with $2 or better body fat skin-fold calipers, a $2 myo-tape and an accurate scale. <-- Ebay and those prices include shipping.

Record all your measurements, your 7 point BF skin-fold measurements and your weight. Enter them all in your bb.com profile. Now you'll know your exact Body-fat and muscle gains and losses every time you measure yourself.

Are you just beginning on weight training? I don't get the beginning / intermediate workout logic?

2 sets? Where are the warm up sets?

3 sets minimum as set 1 is much lighter weight. I'll do 4-5 sets as only the last 2-3 sets are maximal weight.

Take it easy of this is only your first month in the gym as you'll be sore looking at an empty bar but normally (unless your older) you'll hammer out the last sets to complete and total failure. Personally I think 8-10 reps on most body parts will build muscle quicker. If you can do 12 reps easily then your weight is too light and reps 9-12 should be so hard that rep 12 was absolutely the last rep you could do. Soreness should not only be expected but desired so you know you ripped those fibers so they rebuild and muscle hypertrophy occurs. Recovery and time to repair those muscles might take a full 5-7 days. I don't hit that same muscle until it's fully recovered and soreness is gone for 1-2 days.

Recovery is the key to growth so don't overtrain on the weights. Kill them during the workout but give them the 5-7 days to recover. If you work the same muscle when it's still sore you'll slowly overtrain and have crappy or no gains.

Cardio you can do 3-6 days per week as you're hitting slow twitch type 2 fibers. On cardio you just slowly increase your duration.

mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhess92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally I dropped 500 calories from my TDEE. I've been dropping 100 calories every 3-4 weeks now, because I haven't seen the scale go down, tape get smaller on the waist, or body fat change. I am new to weight training. Did p90x before this. I haven't been doing cardio, which is something I might need to start doing, instead of just dropping calories
    Cardio isn't needed but if you don't want to sacrifice anymore calories then you gotta do it. other wise drop another 300-400 cals and see what that does for you. Also (I know I might get some people telling me I'm wrong) but when I lost 35 lbs. I trained for strength not for reps. i.e 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps of HEAVY weight.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That is not a beginner's program, it's a dog's breakfast of random movements. You want Starting Strength. Why this program? Read this.