Page 177 of 266 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 175 176 177 178 179 187 227 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 7977
    guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by GetHimABodyBag View Post
    I am a ER Tech/EMT if your roommate has any questions.

We do alot.

CPR/Compressions during full arrests.

Splinting.

Assist with sutures, incision and drains, spinal taps, chest tubes,intubation, by "assist" I mean holding the patient or handing equipment.

Obtain vital signs, and me personally I do a quick assessment/hpi.

Exposed to other allied health professionals. I pick the brains from x-ray guys and the RT's. Also the RN's obviously.

Perform 12-Lead ECG's with a hpi.

Restraint 5150's and violent/aggressive patients.

Transport patients to the floor units.

Yes I do wipe asses.

Clerical duties, not my favorite but you get to talk to the Doctors and Scribes.

You see a lot as a ER Tech.

Scribe vs ER Tech experience.

The Scribes pretty much know what to order with what Chief Complaint and Patient's History. That is definitely a HUGE plus if someone wants to be a PA, MD, or even RN.
    I am still learning about labs and lab values. A lot of the MD's will show the scribes how to look at a x-ray.

I think doing both will make a good well rounded future PA
    Originally Posted by South Side Stev View Post
    The scribes don't really 'know' what to order, they just know what usually gets ordered. Subtle physical exam findings or pertinent positives/negatives in the history can lead an abdominal pain workup down several different roads.

The thing about Pre-PA experience is unless it is something significant (RN is the best, followed distantly by RT), it won't matter much once you get in the program. They want experience so that you have some background and know what you're getting into, the program doesn't build off any previous experience.

I was the only RN in my class and we had one RT. We were both light years ahead of the rest of our class academically and clinically, yet we had 100% board pass rate.
    What rustles me off is that he thinks what he's doing now will get him into PA school.
    1. We both graduated with our bachelor's at the same time, but his GPA was so chitty that he's now taking classes (i.e. vertebrate anatomy, genetics, stupid classes) at the local community college. The thing is that he's always out, not doing his work and/or having to stay up late and half-assing it so he can turn it in on time, meaning his GPA will continue to suffer.
    2. He thinks he knows a lot about medicine. He's brought home suture kits and bupivacaine thinking he can suture someone up properly (namely, our friends when they're drunk and do stupid things.). He thinks he knows what tests to order for the doctor, but I'm sure he doesn't understand why.
    3. Although most schools don't consider scribe experience to be as strong as tech experience, he's still going to get all his hands-on hours by being a scribe. He has to get twice as many hours as a scribe to match up with the experience of a tech.
    4. He keeps leaving the damn kitchen lights on every time he leaves the apartment/goes to sleep, thus wasting electricity and my money.
    5. He keeps using my damn shaker bottles for his drinks. He doesn't even lift.

But it's none of my business.

On the bright side - no classes this summer Advanced Patho/Pharm in the fall. Definitely not looking forward to that.
    Student Registered Nurse Anesthetist c/o '21

DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by guyman123 View Post
    What rustles me off is that he thinks what he's doing now will get him into PA school.
    1. We both graduated with our bachelor's at the same time, but his GPA was so chitty that he's now taking classes (i.e. vertebrate anatomy, genetics, stupid classes) at the local community college. The thing is that he's always out, not doing his work and/or having to stay up late and half-assing it so he can turn it in on time, meaning his GPA will continue to suffer.
    2. He thinks he knows a lot about medicine. He's brought home suture kits and bupivacaine thinking he can suture someone up properly (namely, our friends when they're drunk and do stupid things.). He thinks he knows what tests to order for the doctor, but I'm sure he doesn't understand why.
    3. Although most schools don't consider scribe experience to be as strong as tech experience, he's still going to get all his hands-on hours by being a scribe. He has to get twice as many hours as a scribe to match up with the experience of a tech.
    4. He keeps leaving the damn kitchen lights on every time he leaves the apartment/goes to sleep, thus wasting electricity and my money.

On the bright side - no classes this summer Advanced Patho/Pharm in the fall. Definitely not looking forward to that.

half these procedures are monkey skills and I would hardly call them anything that would anyone "good at medicine".

Its like IV start skill does not make a good nurse.
    From Houston, now I am in San Diego

Registered Nurse? Or work in the healthcare? Come join
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147557373
    -=Degenerative Disc Disease Crew=-
    -=Torn Pec Crew=-

spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

He sounds like a grade A douche. Stealing a suture kit and bupivacaine from the hospital??

And I cant stand when people like medical assistants act like they know jack **** because they work in an office and give shots and hear the doctor discuss things with a patient.

Sounds like you need a new room mate. I would commit murder if I had to deal with that kind of a person
    What's Spicy Training For?? LIFE MOTHER F-ER!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155227363

IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Call him out for the lights and shaker bottle bull ****. He will keep doing it until you set limits.
    -Miscs from phone 99% of time.

.:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IRockNikes View Post
    Call him out for the lights and shaker bottle bull ****. He will keep doing it until you set limits.
    This. You're going to have to make him look stupid and make him drop some of that high ego of his.
    RN/Healthcare Crew - FGC Crew

Pro-Gun. Pro-Rights.
    ௵leoaa777 krazedxboi

guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyman123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lmao, I didn't think you guys were going to acknowledge the roommate comment, but I appreciate it!

I'm really awkward about confrontation so I took the passive aggressive way about it - I put a sign on the front door that said "Did I turn the lights off?", which he got really upset about.

As for the shaker bottles, it's not that big of a deal, I've gotten over it. I'm really possessive over my things - don't know if that's a bad flaw though.

My ICU RN friend shuts him down a lot when he talks about medical stuff he sees in the ER and especially the suture thing lol.

SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000) SpyderTT is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lmao, I didn't think you guys were going to acknowledge the roommate comment, but I appreciate it!

I'm really awkward about confrontation so I took the passive aggressive way about it - I put a sign on the front door that said "Did I turn the lights off?", which he got really upset about.

As for the shaker bottles, it's not that big of a deal, I've gotten over it. I'm really possessive over my things - don't know if that's a bad flaw though.

My ICU RN friend shuts him down a lot when he talks about medical stuff he sees in the ER and especially the suture thing lol.
    Lol, I wasn't sure if your "roommate" posted in this thread also.

doing a clinical rotation in a long term acute care environment is fun. All the ladies are freaking out running all over and I just go in, do all my chit, and am finished. The instructor always gives me dirty looks but she knows it is because I am the only one with time management skills in the group.

I have really turned a corner since coming to this facility and am looking forward to being done in 2 more semesters.

Also, this thread is great brah's, keep posting. I will keep reading.
    IM Tri Crew - Misc Photog Crew - ♞ Misc Dominant Crew ♞ - Bicycle Brah Crew - Misc Running Crew - Alpine Ski Crew

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally Posted by SpyderTT View Post
    Lol, I wasn't sure if your "roommate" posted in this thread also..
    I actually do have an ex-roommate who posts in here lol, ARN14. She's unfortunately back in her hometown. I'm currently living with my best friend's brother.

kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nurse brahs, I need some career advice.

I am looking into a career in the healthcare field as my background is in the health sciences and have logged many hours volunteering in various hospitals, from oncology to a few ERs working alongside nurses and MDs.

I know I will be happy with something in the healthcare field and from my research there are lots of different occupations. Nursing, various medical techs, respiratory/radiation/nuclear/etc therapists, and more...yet nursing seems to be the one that seems the most promising in terms of job security and career growth.

I am looking to start with something this fall and I really want to take the next few months to figure out what I want to do. I am seriously considering nursing, but I am not too sure about the job security and career outlook on the other healthcare fields.

For the nurse brahs, can you offer any advice? Are you happy with your job? If you were in my position, what would you do anything differently? and a nurse practitioner is basically a RN with further specialization, right?

And my last question, how is it like working as a male nurse?

.:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) .:Chris:. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kessel81 View Post
    For the nurse brahs, can you offer any advice? Are you happy with your job?
    Yes. Some will like it, some wont. Depends with what you're doing and your personality. Take this thread for example, you'll find that some weren't happy and are now pursuing other aspects in the field. But thats why nursing is so good, even if you dont like certain aspects of it [ex. bedside nursing], you can venture out to other doors/opportunities.

If you were in my position, what would you do anything differently?
    Though I lucked out with my situation, but I'd suggest working in the hospital that you'd want to work in upon graduation as a tech or any kind of position. Basically try to get your foot in as early as possible.

If you have the time, I'd suggest skimming through all the pages in here, plenty of tips.

You'll prob get hit on a lot. I got hit on by pt's and other workers. Sometimes it can get awkward, especially if they are super ugly and its your co-worker. You'll get picked on a lot asking for your help to lift pt's, ect or if you're a student, you'll prob get picked on by the instructors just because you're one of the few males. You'll probably learn to have "Ear Muffs" around your female co-workers...they talk a lot, no offense to the female Nurses in here lol.

Pro-Gun. Pro-Rights.
    ௵leoaa777 krazedxboi

DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am officially unemployed brahs.

I actually do have an ex-roommate who posts in here lol, ARN14. She's unfortunately back in her hometown. I'm currently living with my best friend's brother.
    Hello oh heavenly blessed beauty

-=Torn Pec Crew=-

Hanging by a thread mrcarter1990's Avatar
    mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrcarter1990 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Registered Nurse checking in,
    Diagnosed anorexic with a shirt on......6 pack chiseled alpha fucboi with a shirt off

kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kessel81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by .:Chris:. View Post
    Yes. Some will like it, some wont. Depends with what you're doing and your personality. Take this thread for example, you'll find that some weren't happy and are now pursuing other aspects in the field. But thats why nursing is so good, even if you dont like certain aspects of it [ex. bedside nursing], you can venture out to other doors/opportunities.

Though I lucked out with my situation, but I'd suggest working in the hospital that you'd want to work in upon graduation as a tech or any kind of position. Basically try to get your foot in as early as possible.

If you have the time, I'd suggest skimming through all the pages in here, plenty of tips.

You'll prob get hit on a lot. I got hit on by pt's and other workers. Sometimes it can get awkward, especially if they are super ugly and its your co-worker. You'll get picked on a lot asking for your help to lift pt's, ect or if you're a student, you'll prob get picked on by the instructors just because you're one of the few males. You'll probably learn to have "Ear Muffs" around your female co-workers...they talk a lot, no offense to the female Nurses in here lol.
    Thanks brah.

I really liked working in the ER - logged about 400 hours in volunteer experience at two different hospitals.

Honestly, I really don't want to delay this anymore than I already have by getting some sort of tech diploma and working as a tech before going to nursing school. I really just want to start with something this Fall and get going with my career.

Whats your day to day routine like? Can you still live a good lifestyle while working full-time as a nurse...as compared to the stress and lifestyle of an MD working in the hospital?

Registered User South Side Stev's Avatar
    South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) South Side Stev is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Whats your day to day routine like? Can you still live a good lifestyle while working full-time as a nurse...as compared to the stress and lifestyle of an MD working in the hospital?
    RNs usually work 3 12s, 4 10s, or 5 8s. MDs typically work much more than 40 hours, except for the shift work specialties (ER, Hospitalist, Intensivist, etc).

I miss my 3 12s. 2 weeks ago we did 6 transplants and I had 100 hours in the span of 8 days. Two 35+ hour straight runs.
    I don't gang bang, ho, I just gang bang these hoes.

StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000)

I am looking into a career in the healthcare field as my background is in the health sciences and have logged many hours volunteering in various hospitals, from oncology to a few ERs working alongside nurses and MDs.

I know I will be happy with something in the healthcare field and from my research there are lots of different occupations. Nursing, various medical techs, respiratory/radiation/nuclear/etc therapists, and more...yet nursing seems to be the one that seems the most promising in terms of job security and career growth.

I am looking to start with something this fall and I really want to take the next few months to figure out what I want to do. I am seriously considering nursing, but I am not too sure about the job security and career outlook on the other healthcare fields.

For the nurse brahs, can you offer any advice? Are you happy with your job? If you were in my position, what would you do anything differently? and a nurse practitioner is basically a RN with further specialization, right?

Nursing has been good to me (age 36), as a guy I found I was often treated better than female co-workers. I.e. People telling me I should become a manger after like 8months on the job. I've certainly been able to make a good living, but I don't know how it works in Canada. I

RNs usually work 3 12s, 4 10s, or 5 8s. MDs typically work much more than 40 hours, except for the shift work specialties (ER, Hospitalist, Intensivist, etc).

I miss my 3 12s. 2 weeks ago we did 6 transplants and I had 100 hours in the span of 8 days. Two 35+ hour straight runs.
    Used to work 3 12s as an RN, GOAT schedule for sure.
    CRNA Crew
    Used to be super skinny and now slightly better crew
    Chronic back pain for years, but now better crew

spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DatMurse View Post
    I am officially unemployed brahs.

Hello oh heavenly blessed beauty
    when do you start?

Interesting. I wouldn't mind the 4 10s or even the 5 8s shifts.

Originally Posted by StickLegs78 View Post
    Nursing has been good to me (age 36), as a guy I found I was often treated better than female co-workers. I.e. People telling me I should become a manger after like 8months on the job. I've certainly been able to make a good living, but I don't know how it works in Canada. I

Used to work 3 12s as an RN, GOAT schedule for sure.
    From my research, they recently started offering CRNA programs here in Canada..but it seems like they earn six figures in the States.

Is it easy to land a nursing job as a fresh graduate? What was your experience as a new graduate? I know you start off from the bottom of the barrel, but as you gain more experience, how hard is it to move up? I think here you have to do a masters program in health management if you want to get into the management role in nursing.

Are there only nurses in here? Any other healthcare professionals aside from MDs?

StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000) StickLegs78 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Interesting. I wouldn't mind the 4 10s or even the 5 8s shifts.

From my research, they recently started offering CRNA programs here in Canada..but it seems like they earn six figures in the States.

Is it easy to land a nursing job as a fresh graduate? What was your experience as a new graduate? I know you start off from the bottom of the barrel, but as you gain more experience, how hard is it to move up? I think here you have to do a masters program in health management if you want to get into the management role in nursing.

Are there only nurses in here? Any other healthcare professionals aside from MDs?
    There are PAs, RT, PRs etc that post in this thread.

I have no idea what the market is like in Canada. Here (in New England), experienced RNs often make six figures. Most of the nurse mangers I know were hired with BSNs, and while on the job earned some sort of masters, often MBAs.
    CRNA Crew
    Used to be super skinny and now slightly better crew
    Chronic back pain for years, but now better crew

IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Nurses will always have jobs and you can work anywhere with a couple years of experience under your belt. One huge reason I chose nursing is because you can always change your career easily (grad school, management, different floors, different settings, teaching, etc). My experience as a male is pretty awesome, many girls hit on you in your program and at work, very rarely does a patient say they want a male (I've worked as an aide for about a year on a floor with 30-50 patients a night and maybe 5 times has a patient not wanted me to help them). Some patients (males and females) tell me they prefer male nurses.

"and a nurse practitioner is basically a RN with further specialization, right?"

Not even a little bit. Google advanced practice nursing/ what an NP does.

Some advice to help you decide: Shadow a couple different positions and do your research. You don't want to finish a program and find out it isn't for you (which happens more often than you'd think). RNs and RTs deal with things most people can't stomach. I have seen/ smelt things I couldn't have imagined working and in clinicals. TFW active GI bleed, bowel obstruction, or tube feed with C.diff

Thanks for the info. brahs.

I've been reading a bunch of different websites, some forums, about nursing and a lot of people are voicing their opinions on the field. Plenty of them are just negative and off-putting..making me nervous srs.

How easy is it to move up the ladder? I honestly wouldn't want to do bedside nursing forever and would like having the option of moving to different settings. Oh and..how often are you cleaning chit and vomit?

leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) leoaa777 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I've been reading a bunch of different websites, some forums, about nursing and a lot of people are voicing their opinions on the field. Plenty of them are just negative and off-putting..making me nervous srs.

How easy is it to move up the ladder? I honestly wouldn't want to do bedside nursing forever and would like having the option of moving to different settings. Oh and..how often are you cleaning chit and vomit?
    With the right network and experience you can move quickly either up the ladder or new areas.

Cleaning on patients. My personal opinion is I'd rather clean/help someone sick than some entitled **** up because "customer is always right" or some pissant micromanaging me.
    ☆ Member of the Brave 767 crew ☆ Never forget.
    -Florida Gators-

Oh and..how often are you cleaning chit and vomit?
    Not as often. CNA's usually does them but I dont mind doing it and/or helping them do it.

Pro-Gun. Pro-Rights.
    ௵leoaa777 krazedxboi

Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Graduating soon brahs!

I have an interview for a GN position at a local hospital next week.
    Did anybody go the GN route before taking NCLEX?

Also, any tips for the interview?
    Any questions I should be prepared for?

Special thanks to the brah that sent me his resume; definitely helped me out with mine.

You need to watch your attitude on this. Remember, these are people and you are helping them maintain their dignity when they are vulnerable. Imagine yourself in that position where you can't get out of bed or control yourself despite having all of your mental capacities. Would be a nightmare, right?

Originally Posted by spicyprice View Post
    You need to watch your attitude on this. Remember, these are people and you are helping them maintain their dignity when they are vulnerable. Imagine yourself in that position where you can't get out of bed or control yourself despite having all of your mental capacities. Would be a nightmare, right?
    Apologies, I didn't mean it like that. I don't really have a problem with any of that, and the only reason I am considering nursing is because I love helping people - and a rewarding career in nursing would allow me to do just that. Its just that sometimes I get a bit iffy around these hygiene tasks. I know I would have to get over it eventually to succeed. was genuinely curious to find out how often RNs have to deal with these sorts of hygiene related tasks.

Apologies, I didn't mean it like that. I don't really have a problem with any of that, and the only reason I am considering nursing is because I love helping people - and a rewarding career in nursing would allow me to do just that. Its just that sometimes I get a bit iffy around these hygiene tasks. I know I would have to get over it eventually to succeed. was genuinely curious to find out how often RNs have to deal with these sorts of hygiene related tasks.
    Don't get the mindset that this stuff is for aides only b/c it isn't. On my floor nurses clean ****/vomit/piss every day. If you're the kind of person who gets queasy or is grossed out easily then nursing might not be for you. In just about every hospital setting besides maybe OB, periop/OR, or mental health you will clean ****. The aide might call off or get pulled to another floor. Also, if there is only one aide and it is a big/ weak patient, you're going to have to turn the patient and clean them with the aide. But just letting you know, there is much worse things you will see/smell then bodily fluids.

Honestly I was worried this would be hard to do but after you do it so much it stops bothering you. Do I like cleaning and smelling chit? No, but I can do it without it stressing me out. Working as an aide will get you over this fear very quickly lol.

What the ****. I was driving home and watched someone get in a car accident on the highway. 50mph atleast. I am like ****. I have to respond. I get out of my car, run over there. First driver is ok. He told me to check on the other one. Car is smoking, other samaritan turned it off. He told me her stomach is hurting, I told him to call 911. I go over there and tell her I am a nurse, I am going to look at your stomach. I ripped her shirt. Took a look. No signs of bleeding or firmness. No signs of trauma. She is in the middle of the road(in her car) and I told her she needs to get out because she is in a dangerous place. The other samaritan opens his door for her to get in his car. We stayed with her until EMS arrives. She cried the whole time so that is good(Shows that she isnt losing consciousness).

Now I am at home and only thinking about how full my stomach was from dinner.

-Saw car accident
    -ran out to check on person
    -ripped shirt to check stomach for signs of bleeding
    -Stayed until EMS arrived
    -I am full of food

-=Torn Pec Crew=-

J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) J_dazzle23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DatMurse View Post
    What the ****. I was driving home and watched someone get in a car accident on the highway. 50mph atleast. I am like ****. I have to respond. I get out of my car, run over there. First driver is ok. He told me to check on the other one. Car is smoking, other samaritan turned it off. He told me her stomach is hurting, I told him to call 911. I go over there and tell her I am a nurse, I am going to look at your stomach. I ripped her shirt. Took a look. No signs of bleeding or firmness. No signs of trauma. She is in the middle of the road(in her car) and I told her she needs to get out because she is in a dangerous place. The other samaritan opens his door for her to get in his car. We stayed with her until EMS arrives. She cried the whole time so that is good(Shows that she isnt losing consciousness).

Now I am at home and only thinking about how full my stomach was from dinner.

-Saw car accident
    -ran out to check on person
    -ripped shirt to check stomach for signs of bleeding
    -Stayed until EMS arrived
    -I am full of food

Gjdm, I am proud.

Lol at full stomach.

Thus is part of the reason I decided on nursing, is for the practical application.
    NASM CPT

Originally Posted by IRockNikes View Post
    Don't get the mindset that this stuff is for aides only b/c it isn't. On my floor nurses clean ****/vomit/piss every day. If you're the kind of person who gets queasy or is grossed out easily then nursing might not be for you. In just about every hospital setting besides maybe OB, periop/OR, or mental health you will clean ****. The aide might call off or get pulled to another floor. Also, if there is only one aide and it is a big/ weak patient, you're going to have to turn the patient and clean them with the aide. But just letting you know, there is much worse things you will see/smell then bodily fluids.

Honestly I was worried this would be hard to do but after you do it so much it stops bothering you. Do I like cleaning and smelling chit? No, but I can do it without it stressing me out. Working as an aide will get you over this fear very quickly lol.
    In OB ...
    There is ****.
    and vaginal blood
    And vomit.

Birth is..... Yeah.

ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000) ryantatarniuk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    healthcare security crew checking in
    ***Canadian Crew***

Page 177 of 266 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 175 176 177 178 179 187 227 ... LastLast