coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs down Throbbing headache when lifting??

I have been lifting weights for about 3-4 months now and have had no problems. I try to breathe properly and not strain my neck. The past week and a half, everytime I lift I get a headache. It's a throbbing one sided headache and it ruins my entire workout. I've tried pushing through it but most times I just cut my workout short. It lingers after the workout until I take a few motrin. Has anyone had anything like this? If so, how did you get rid of it? I was hoping it would just go away, but it's been almost 2 weeks now of ruined workouts. It doesn't hurt when I run or do cardio, just lifting.

poweroats has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coloradomom View Post
    I have been lifting weights for about 3-4 months now and have had no problems. I try to breathe properly and not strain my neck. The past week and a half, everytime I lift I get a headache. It's a throbbing one sided headache and it ruins my entire workout. I've tried pushing through it but most times I just cut my workout short. It lingers after the workout until I take a few motrin. Has anyone had anything like this? If so, how did you get rid of it? I was hoping it would just go away, but it's been almost 2 weeks now of ruined workouts. It doesn't hurt when I run or do cardio, just lifting.
    Google 'exertion headache' up, would help alot.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    See a doctor? Have you had any problems with migraines? Sinus infections? Allergies? Blood pressure? So many different things can cause headaches. It's usually a pressure related issue. You need to at least rule out other more serious medical issues first.

I personally get headaches when I lift if I have a stuffy nose or allergies, because lifting increases the cranial pressure so much, and if the sinuses are plugged, it's just that much worse. I also get weird headaches if I have low blood sugar, but they are not on one side.

It doesn't have to be a life or death deal, but check with the doc.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coloradomom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks. I've heard about exertion headaches -I was hoping someone had personal experience and maybe some tips on something that worked? I was hoping it was temporary and would go away on its own, but I guess I need to call Dr.

poweroats has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coloradomom View Post
    Thanks. I've heard about exertion headaches -I was hoping someone had personal experience and maybe some tips on something that worked? I was hoping it was temporary and would go away on its own, but I guess I need to call Dr.
    Had it once. Took a week off and rested properly, treated my warm ups more seriously as well and thought that helped out the most. Never had it again so far.

gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    See a doctor? Have you had any problems with migraines? Sinus infections? Allergies? Blood pressure? So many different things can cause headaches. It's usually a pressure related issue. You need to at least rule out other more serious medical issues first.

IIt doesn't have to be a life or death deal, but check with the doc.
    agreed...consult someone who knows

Made appt with chiropractor to start, since my neck has been really tight lately. Will let you all know what he does/says. I searched the forum and got tons of hits, I guess this is a common problem. Also, it seems like once you get one, they tend to come back and recur frequently. I do tend to carry tension in my traps and when I lift I do tense my neck so I'm wondering if that's causing the headaches?

Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had this about 3 months after I started lifting. It maybe a broken blood vessel or something like that. I found they gradually lessened and went away completely after about 6 weeks. Never had it again!
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

Originally Posted by Hannah73Louise View Post
    I had this about 3 months after I started lifting. It maybe a broken blood vessel or something like that. I found they gradually lessened and went away completely after about 6 weeks. Never had it again!
    Thanks! I really hope that is the case for me. If they aren't gone in a couple days I'm going to ask for MRI. Chiro adjusted my neck today and said to do more reps less weight until I feel better.

Update:

Had MRI with and without contrast - everything normal (thank God b/c I'm a cancer survivor and Dr's first concern was it had spread!).

It may not be "Exertion headache" afterall. They are thinking it's CERVICOGENIC HEADACHES. Seeing a chiropractor again next week.